It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:46 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Hi All.

Just wanted to thank everyone for a fantastically successful event tonight. We really made a difference for a lot of people, had some fun, and managed to look really good while doing it. I will be uploading pictures to the ZSC003 facebook as they come available. We served over 150 meals, donated over 60 toys to kids who might not have gotten a christmas present otherwise, and spread some holiday cheer. We rock, and i want to give each and every one of you congratulations.

A special thanks to Tom and Josh for helping me get everyone organized, I was unable to do most of it being in a Santa suit all night. And a special thanks to Tony, Jaspreet and the wimpys staff for making it such a great event!

This thread is to discuss what went well, and where we can make some changes in the future and i'd like to hear your input.

Volunteers This event:
Marko P
Josh B
Chris C
Courtney L
Rich H
Salem R
Ellie M
BryanP
Ron T
Tom W
Aleks R

Honourable mention: (Arrived just a bit too late)
Naz T
Nick T

Zimmy wrote:
Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:58 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

First relevant post. I had not planned on the contingency of not being able to direct leadership on a squad level. I'm used to being able to tell people what to do more or less. It worked out pretty well. I dropped the role on Tom because I knew he could handle it, but it had not been discussed in advance. Sorry to do that to you Tom.

I also neglected myself a little running around in a santa suit. I'm feeling pretty rough even now, and I hadn't realized how dehydrated I was getting until Josh forced me to drink some water. That suit was insanely hot. the toy selection was great, especially with the Comics and magic cards, but I think we needed more games and toys suitable for the 13-15 range. I also think if zs is doing the toy donations, we need to do the wrapping, or at least have a list of what's in the packages so that the voluteer working the presents knows what's what. it was too much work for santa to do. Some extra packages of candy would also be a good idea for next time.

The Balloons were a hit. Ellie is amazing at what she does and from what i could see all our servers did an excelent job. Anyone else have any imput on that end?

Next event, we need a dedicated photographer. One person does not need to be at it the WHOLE time, but SOMEONE has to be on it at all times. We also need a dedicated digital camera.

Did anyone find that literature and more cards would have been useful? Did you get to talk much about zs?

I have decided we DEFINETELY need specialty business cards that explain how to reach OUR chapter specfically. It also needs the facebook group link. We could have been taking a photo with santa of any child who wanted it and given the parents a card that gets them to it ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE. It's a good way to be in touch with the community. Once we have a good enough following we can start doing suvival tips a few times a week. CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT. We have a ton, time to get it out there.

Zimmy wrote:
Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:46 pm 

Working as a server from my point of view,

Ellie was fantastic. I had tables requesting her.

The servers really seemed to mesh and work together once we figured out where everything was in the food area. Everyone was working hard and seeming to have fun at the same time.

I personally had four - I believe four tables ask me about ZS. One lady was very interested in learning more, even discussing volunteering and another lady at that table was apprehensive about the zombie issue. Lucky Tom just appeared and he had cards. The other two tables asked general questions and I explained ZS generally and the facebook page and offered to get Tom to speak to them further. I believe Ellie took over and talked to one table that was inquiring as I was serving them. The patrons I spoke to replied they would look ZS up on facebook and continued with their meal. Cards and/or Literature related ZSC:003 might be worth it.

Just a thought but maybe use post-its on the gifts after they are wrapped could work with the gift issue. Easily removed and ZS would know exactly what gift is being handed to the child. Place the note on the bottom of the gift (not noticed when the gifts are stacked) so when the helper picks the gift. They can read the tag and take it off quick while the child is talking to Santa.

I checked with Walmart and the prices for photos to be printed (printer ink is to expensive to waste): 4x6 One Hour wait is 20 cents. Instant is 30 cents. 5x7 One Hour wait is 1 dollar and 2 dollars for instant. Not bad pricing really. 4x6 would fit in most common Xmas card envelopes. The photo, ZS literature and business card could fit in a nice Xmas card tucked away.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:00 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Organization on location was a bit rough around the edges personally, and I think that was simply because we didn't have all the information on exactly what was happening until the last moment.

When we do the toy drive next time (assuming there is a next time because we appear to have been a hit) we should host a ZS event where all the members get together and pre-wrap, pre-lable, pre-everything including cementing the planned organization. This was the first time we've done this and all in all, it went really well, next year will be better :D

I might suggest dividing up ZSC:003 into table sections in order to keep everyone more focused on drinks and clearing instead of everyone swarming the tables that had already been seen to.

The newest members that we had showing up were outstanding in their first event (I believe a round of applause is warranted for them *applause, applause*), and Tom did a good job keeping everyone in line and focused.

Good work to all, and congratulations!