It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:14 pm 

double post

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:00 pm 

BullonParade, I appreciate your view. I've been around the block and I've seen the elephant. Knowing a nation's laws is different from knowing its customs. I've seen people in other nations buy drugs from cops because in that locale, law enforcement was an entrepreneurial exercise. My goal was not to "troll," you, but to get a broad enough perspective from a variety of sources so that I conduct myself within that scope that a normal Canadian would accept. I'm a stranger to your land, but I don't want to conduct myself strangely.

Shawn, thanks for your time, expertise and service. Thanks for the links. Your perspective sounds like that of my friends who are cops.

shawn wrote:
I can not remember the legal term, but in Canadian law there is a premise that if you break a law for the greater good, ie to save a life etc., you can not be charged. As in you broke the speed limit taking someone to the hospital. Just recently a man in Toronto was found to be carrying a pistol for self defense without a license and without an authorization to carry. The judge ruled that what he did was reasonable in his circumstances and iirc dropped the charges.

Doctrine of competing harms.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:25 pm 

Shawn,
Apartment complex at 11pm with a disturbance call from an armed man who states that an individual is attempting to break and enter into his neighbor's apartment, threatening to shoot the occupants. Caller is on apartment complex property and has the weapon concealed to keep the situation from escalating. Caller has no criminal record, but multiple firearm owner and has the smallest gun he owns with him. What happens if the police successfully relieve him of control of the suspect versus he shoots and kills suspect?