It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:21 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

My wife and I are taking the CFSC in April. I was hoping March, but weekends are a precious commodity, and having 2 full ones overlap is rare.

My wife doesn't intend to get her PAL, just her POL so there was a reduced fee for her to be in the class. It would have been free for her, but she wants to be hands on with the firearms in class, as we will have some in the house also.

I have started to look into local shooting clubs, with Galt being the best I can see, but too pricy for my liking. I want somewhere for centerfire and pistol (down the road) so it seems to narrow my choices a lot. If anyone on the area has any suggestions, I am all ears.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:31 am 

I'm in Brantford and I drive all the way down to Silverdale. I believe there are closer clubs - one in Galt, and the Burlington Rifle and Revolver club for example, but to me Silverdale is worth the drive. The guy who runs it is a really good guy, Lanz Shooting Supplies is right there on site and they have outdoor ranges from an action range and a 25 yard pistol range all the way out to 200 yards. membership is about $240 per year and guests can shoot with a guest pass for $20 on weekends and holidays.

http://www.silverdalegunclub.com/
http://www.lanzshootingsupplies.com/

roscoe wrote:
.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Last edited by mantis on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:29 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thanks Mantis, that is farther than I would like to drive, but it looks like a possibility.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:38 pm 

kwailo wrote:
Thanks Mantis, that is farther than I would like to drive, but it looks like a possibility.

It is a long hike but well worthwhile. You won't find a more friendly, open and accessible club anywhere. They are very easy going and great for new shooters. BRRC usually has a waiting list and a long membership process, I don't know much about Gault's process but I know that with Silverdale, you could show up on Saturday, have a quick guest orientation and be shooting within an hour. It's also a very large range with plenty of shooting bays and few special events taking up range time - I was a BRRC member my biggest complaint was that if you just wanted to show up and shoot and do your own thing, you were mostly restricted to the middle of the night because every single day of the week has a "league event" taking up all the prime-time shooting hours.

roscoe wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:56 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I'm only just seeing this thread now, sorry for the late reply!

I did my course at Barrie Gun Club a couple of years ago, and had a great time. The club is a bit East of the city itself, and the course is taught in the club basement. But the course was easy to follow, I was comfortable conversing with the instructors in class and on breaks, and they feed you lunch too (good food, homecooked by the instructors wife).

I just did my hunters education course at Silverdale last month, and would also say it was a pleasurable experience. Smaller classroom, heated with a wood fireplace, and probably quite warm in the summers.

A few months after I did my PAL at Barrie, I went to a Glock seminar at The Wolfs Den, which is just south of Barrie, and I believe they do PAL courses there too. Classroom was probably a bit smaller than Barrie's, school portable type building. Spent more time talking with the Glock guy than the store owners, but they've always been helpful to me when I've gone in, even though I'm not a regular (a lot of clubs get the "Old boys only" vibe which can be discouraging to a newcomer).

I don't think anyone teaches the POL anymore, I think it's being faded out more or less, the course is taught in a way that you're no better off having POL over PAL, even if a person never intends to purchase.

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:35 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Barrie is great, I was born there, but is 2 hours drive. I really want something closer than that. ;)

After looking further, it seems you can't get a new POL, just renewals. That is kind of balls for people who have enough firearms, and just want to buy ammo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:35 pm 

kwailo wrote:
Barrie is great, I was born there, but is 2 hours drive. I really want something closer than that. ;)

After looking further, it seems you can't get a new POL, just renewals. That is kind of balls for people who have enough firearms, and just want to buy ammo.

POL was kind of obsoleted by the elimination of the registry. The only difference between them was that you could not register new firearms against a POL. Now than long gun registration has gone the way of the do-do, it's redundant.

roscoe wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:41 pm 

There is a new indoor range going in in Brantford that I intend to join. It's going to be small with only 15 and 25 yard ranges but it will be located in the industrial park area near 403 and Oak Park Road. Urban Tactical (18 Zatonski Ave, Brantford, ON N3V, Canada) recently opened and just began selling firearms and ammunition as well as tactical gear is building a range in their back warehouse and will be selling memberships for around $300 per year.

Here is their website: http://www.urbantactical.ca/

Apparently range membership also includes a discount on everything in store. This is a good business to support too - I saw an article about them in a local paper and the main proprietor is a Canadian Forces Afghanistan combat veteran.

roscoe wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:54 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Hey kwailo,
Just caught this thread. I was wondering where you're planning to take the CFSC, if you don't mind my asking.
I've been mulling it over for a while. I was thinking Shooter's Choice in Waterloo, but a buddy did his, with restricted and hunter safety, at Lovette's in Kitchener and he really enjoyed it. He said he got it done in a weekend and a Monday evening.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:13 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm taking it at Bridgeport Rod and Gun on April 20th and 21st. It is one of the clubs that I have on m,y maybe list, so it made sense to go there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

In looking at the Lovette's site, it is the same person, Jim, who is doing my course at Bridgeport. He still had spots available a few weeks as a friend of mine was able to book then.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:54 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

So I finished my CFSC course today with my wife, and we both passed.

Jim was a good instructor when he was teaching the material, but drove me crazy with his anecdotes, which were all very urban mythy. For everything that was talked about, he knew a guy who knew a guy. And it all happened in Stratford.

Bridgeport Rod and Gun however, I will never return to. There were people drinking during the day on Saturday, and I assumed, I think naturally, that they were done shooting for the day. Today, when Jim had a slide up telling us to never drink alcohol, or use drugs when handling firearms, was asked by a participant why people had been drinking and shooting the day before. He told us that they were, yes, but it was controlled. That the bartenders would cut people off.

I asked him what never meant, and was told that it is better now than it was. That even though he is range officer, he doesn`t own the place.

So, I`m voting with my wallet, for what it is worth, and never going back. A shame, as they are only 15 minutes up the road from me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:31 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I'm glad you were able to get your PAL, maybe you can make it out to Silverdale with us this summer when ZS:003 goes for a range day.

I would be unimpressed with drinking at the range too. Afterwords, at a bar is different.

Best of luck finding a range near you. It can be difficult, they're out there though.

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:21 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thanks BOP. I'll be there for sure. It may be too for of a drive for regular use, but for event shoots, for sure.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:09 pm 

is anyone part of the barrie gun club.

Im hoping to join there since its close by.

Gonna sign up and do the safety course after i get a little .22 plinker

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:58 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Thanks for the update and critique.
My buddy liked Jim as well, but didn't mention the anecdotes.
Of course, we ALL know that Stratford is a happening place...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:19 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

dustycanuck wrote:
Of course, we ALL know that Stratford is a happening place...

The top 10 lists never mention it, but Stratford is the #11 most dangerous city to live in on earth. It's only slightly better than Mogadishu. Must be all those shifty actors.

Zimmy wrote:
Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!