It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:06 pm 

Hey guys, long time no post. I'm only in town for about ten days and was wondering if anyone knows any good places to shoot over 500 yards that isn't too far from the Pittsburgh area. I'd like to be able to stretch my 700's legs a bit.

I prefer outdoors/undeveloped land to a commercial range, but any port in a storm, really.

Thanks!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:37 pm 

McDonald's Sportsman Club has a 500 yard range, but that's about it as far as I know.

If you find one please let us know.

US Marines- Making Martyrs since 1775

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:52 pm 

jackal556 wrote:
McDonald's Sportsman Club has a 500 yard range, but that's about it as far as I know.

If you find one please let us know.

Theirs is actually 500 meters, but only open to club members as far as I know.

Edit, fixed range.

Single acts of tyranny may be ascribed to the accidental opinion of a day; but a series of oppressions, begun at a distinguished period and pursued unalterably through every change of ministers, too plainly prove a deliberate, systematic plan of reducing us to slavery. -- Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:35 pm 

I keep tossing around the idea of a chapter shooting event and haven't had the gumption to actually find a range and put the event together. Maybe 2013?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:22 pm 

I've seen some pretty epic pics from Sniper's Hide of some guys who shoot at an old quarry not far from here, but they won't disclose it's location. I guess they like to keep it to themselves *shrugs*.

There's a few clubs around that have 500yd ranges and one that has 1000yd range, but that one is by State College. I'm not in state long enough to bother with a yearly membership so I'd like to find something free range.

If I run across anything I'll post it here for future reference.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:39 pm 

jackal556 wrote:
I keep tossing around the idea of a chapter shooting event and haven't had the gumption to actually find a range and put the event together. Maybe 2013?

You could always come to an Appleseed as a group. :wink:

Full disclosure, I am an instructor for Project Appleseed but we're all volunteers so I don't make anything by promoting it. One of these months I will make one of your meetings to say hello. I have to get over my aversion to going near downtown.

Single acts of tyranny may be ascribed to the accidental opinion of a day; but a series of oppressions, begun at a distinguished period and pursued unalterably through every change of ministers, too plainly prove a deliberate, systematic plan of reducing us to slavery. -- Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:43 pm 

madwolf wrote:
There's a few clubs around that have 500yd ranges and one that has 1000yd range, but that one is by State College. I'm not in state long enough to bother with a yearly membership so I'd like to find something free range.

Many ranges in the area only accept new members at certain times of year. If I were a member at McDonald Sportsmen Club I would invite you out but I keep missing their new member window. (3 years running) My club only has a 200 yard range which is a bit short for my tastes as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:36 am 

A list of possible rifle ranges in the area would be nice. 100 yards would be a decent enough distance.

At the February chapter meeting, we stopped by Anthony Arms to get an idea about their group rates. The best group rate would be on weekday evenings. :?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:52 pm 

Here is a list of outdoor ranges in PA, some are public, some are private. There are some that have 500 and 1000yd ranges, but none of those are very close.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:43 pm 

That is super and would make a great event for next year. If anyone out there would be interested in making some calls, it would be appreciated.

In my little imagination, the event could run two courses: a fundamentals course for those new to shooting, need to fire a new toy, or need to sight in and then a tacticool rifle/ pistol course. Things like multiple targets, mag changes, rifle/ pistol switch, shooting from behind cover. Hollywood stuff like that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:29 pm 

jackal556 wrote:
That is super and would make a great event for next year. If anyone out there would be interested in making some calls, it would be appreciated.

In my little imagination, the event could run two courses: a fundamentals course for those new to shooting, need to fire a new toy, or need to sight in and then a tacticool rifle/ pistol course. Things like multiple targets, mag changes, rifle/ pistol switch, shooting from behind cover. Hollywood stuff like that.

If you're serious about that this http://scsclub.org/events/black-swamp-carbine/ is the closest range and regularly scheduled event that I know of which does pretty much what you're describing. Their next event in September is a shotgun course. The range is 3-4 hours away depending on where you are in the Pittsburgh area. They don't do Hollywood though, just practical rifle, shotgun and pistol use in tactical situations. Most classes that teach the same skills usually run $500 and up for a weekend.

You really don't want to try and organize something like that with people who are inexperienced with firearms. You also want to have people who are experienced running that kind of event. Hot ranges are controversial and pretty rare. Most of the ranges here in SW PA don't even allow drawing and firing from a holster.

Just for the record, and part of why I love Appleseed, we cover a number of the items in your list. Our second stage is a transition from standing to seated where you have two magazines with 2 and 8 rounds and two targets which you have to complete in 55 seconds. Our third stage is a transition from standing to prone where you have two magazines with 2 and 8 rounds and three targets which you have to complete in 65 seconds. It's more difficult than it sounds. We just don't do anything with pistols or cover.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:27 pm 

That's why my plans were imaginary. The best option might be a distance shoot. I'd like to run some brass through my 700 as well. Something akin to a Class F.