ZS EVENT: Disaster Sim w/ Metro IL SWAT 22 October

Forum for the St Louis Metropolition Area chapter members.

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 001 Officers

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

ZS EVENT: Disaster Sim w/ Metro IL SWAT 22 October

Post by crypto » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:09 am

Saturday, October 22nd
ZS / Metro East SWAT Large-scale Disaster Simulation
8am-5pm (or later)
St. Louis Downtown Airport (the old Parks Airport)
Sauget, IL

For those of you who missed out on our last cooperative project with the Metro East SWAT team this spring, here's your chance to be part of an even bigger and more bad-ass exercise. This will be a large-scale mass-casualty terrorism event, with active shooter components. Metro East needs approximately 50 people to come out for this to be role-players in the exercise. Upon arrival, you will be assigned one of three roles: Victim, Bystander, Aggressor. Depending on your role, you might be made up with medical prosthetics to be injured or have to fake nerve gas poisoning, stand around and scream and wail because your buddies were just gassed or blown up, or be a terrorist. (Sorry, you'll get assigned to a group when you get there and we can't promise one role or another to anyone). Wear LONG-SLEEVE clothes you don't mind getting torn up or fake blood or paint on, and if you have any paintball face masks, bring them. The police will be using Simunitions in this exercise, which are like paintballs but can sting a little more. You *might* get hit in the crossfire, and it'd be better to be wearing one of your own masks than one of the masks the police will have on hand.

This event will run on police time, and not on ZS time, so the 8am start time is no-bullshit 8:00am. Be at Parks Airport by then, there should be signs directing you to the Fire House.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Re: ZS EVENT: Disaster Sim w/ Metro IL SWAT 22 October

Post by Braxton » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:37 am

This is going to be fun.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Special Dead, Cockneys vs. Zombies

Post by Israel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Braxton wrote:This is going to be painful.
FTFY
I'm looking foreword to this too.
Griff wrote:Their are two kinds of people in the world; Those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those people "Dinner"
I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Post by Tribunal Power » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:03 am

I'm going to try to plan for this. Is there any sort of fee at all? I realize it's not a theme park ride, but I'd be a little surprised if the state didn't milk this for all the money they could, training or not.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:50 am

Wha? oh, no. No there isnt.

By way of background, many of the municipalities on the East side have relatively small police forces, and none of them have their own team. Collectively, they have raised a team together from officers in the different departments, and are training them up. The more experienced officers train the less experienced officers, many times through structured scenarios like this.

We're providing a service to them in the form of role players who aren't jerks., not the other way around. It just so happens that its something many of us think is tremendous fun.

ZOMBIE SQUAD: TRICKING PEOPLE INTO PUBLIC SERVICE VOLUNTEERISM SINCE 2004!
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Post by Tribunal Power » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:03 pm

crypto wrote:Wha? oh, no. No there isnt.

By way of background, many of the municipalities on the East side have relatively small police forces, and none of them have their own team. Collectively, they have raised a team together from officers in the different departments, and are training them up. The more experienced officers train the less experienced officers, many times through structured scenarios like this.

We're providing a service to them in the form of role players who aren't jerks., not the other way around. It just so happens that its something many of us think is tremendous fun.

ZOMBIE SQUAD: TRICKING PEOPLE INTO PUBLIC SERVICE VOLUNTEERISM SINCE 2004!
Awesome. I remember reading the AAR that someone for a previous active shooter training scenario and thinking "awww that would be so cool but I missed it and it will never ever happen ever again ever"

Sometimes it's nice to be wrong

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:59 pm

We have a good relationship with this organization, so this is turning into an ongoing thing.

I'm interested in making sure we maintain this relationship, so with that in mind these are the things that they like about us:

1. We know when to grab-ass and when to be serious.
2. We follow instructions, whether its to act crazy, be compliant, or do specific things that help them make this a learning event for the police involved.
3. We give them back their gun when the scenario is over and no one remembers to ask for it back because its midnight. :D
4. We don't bitch when we get lit up by 50 accurate rounds in the space of 3 seconds.

If our portion of this next exercise goes smoothly, I'm pretty sure we'll be on their 'call these guys first' list for future exercises.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Readphnx
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the living Dead remake, 28 Days Latter, 28 Weeks Later, Dawn of the Dead remake.

Post by Readphnx » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:25 am

I'll be there. I'm looking forward to it.
Jack of many trades master of none.

Gauge
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gauge » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:11 pm

I'll be there

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Here's a repost from the mailing list, in case some people dont check their email:

Registration is a 8a, there will be a waiver to fill out.
The exercise will start at 10 and should run 2-4 hours.
You should wear clothes appropriate for standing around that can get dirty.
NO weapons are allowed.
If you have a paintball mask and knee/elbow pads you may bring it/them but you may or may not need gear like that. If you need protective gear they will provide it but some people have better gear than they may hand out.
Volunteers will be split among injured, bystanders and (a very few) bad guys.
If you resist the officers during the exercise they will escalate levels of force. Don't do that. :-)

1. People selected for the 'victim' role might get wet-deconned on
site. It would be a good idea to bring shorts and a t-shirt to put on
under your normal clothes in case that happens.

2. We've been asked to provide a few gunshot wounds and blast injuries
as well as the nerve agent effects, so plan on bringing clothes that
can get fake bloodied.

3. People selected for the bad-guy role (and maybe an unfortunate
bystander) will get shot at with simunitions, so plan on long sleeves
and pants that you dont mind getting marked up (see #2)

So the short version: Bring shorts and a shirt in case you have to get
cleaned up by a decontamination crew, and bring old shitty clothes
that can get paint and blood on them.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Hudson974

Post by Hudson974 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:52 pm

My girlfriend is very excited for this. I just hope a sim round doesn't stop her enthusiasm!
I barely survived Wintergheddon 2010!
I ran around in shorts at Wintergheddon 2011!!
I survived Zombiecon 2011

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Special Dead, Cockneys vs. Zombies

Post by Israel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:02 pm

I hope it's warm tomorrow or decon' showers are gonna suck.
Griff wrote:Their are two kinds of people in the world; Those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those people "Dinner"

LifeStraw Review

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Fuck you for bringing that up, lol.

IT WILL BE GREAT TOMORROW SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Readphnx
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the living Dead remake, 28 Days Latter, 28 Weeks Later, Dawn of the Dead remake.

Post by Readphnx » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:46 pm

High of 72 low of 48 tomorrow. We should have a beautiful day of arterial bleeds, decontamination, and simunition welts. I'll be bringing my paintball mask, if i'm not one of the lucky few who get picked for op-for anyone who gets picked is welcomed to use it.

Tribunal Power

Post by Tribunal Power » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:03 am

Ran into a jam with the car situation. Unfortunately, someone needing to get to work trumps me wanting to hit this event. I might still be able to work something out, but I won't know until the morning. We'll just have to wait and see. :(

razi

Post by razi » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:20 pm

How'd it go?

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:23 pm

razi wrote:How'd it go?
We all signed confidentiality agreements that say we can't talk about it.

But it was AWESOME.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

Readphnx

Post by Readphnx » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:03 pm

I'll second that. It was really cool.

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Israel » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:10 pm

We could tell you, but then we'd have to kill you :lol:

LifeStraw Review

Return to “ZSC:001”