It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 001 Introductions thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:01 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I thought I'd make a new thread in our subforum and leave it stickied for new or shy people in the STL metro area to introduce themselves to other local chapter members.

So, if you've recently come to a ZSC-001 chapter event, or are thinking about it, please consider dropping a quick post in here to let us know who you are!

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:18 am 

I bumped into Drewder while out with my brother last week and he told me about the THING get together we had. I came in tac gear and had a great time. I met a few of you out there although I'm not really sure who's who as far as screen names.

My real name is Nate (not too shy about who knows my name on the web). I just moved out here from Kentucky and am looking forward to getting more involved with ZS001!

My Trunk Bag/GHB/BOB for a Tight Budget

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:35 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Oh, awesome. I was at the Thing premiere. I was the guy in black tac gear. :D

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:18 pm 

Thinking about coming out on Sunday to finally put some faces to the screen names and maybe bring a friend who's interested in ZS (if that's acceptable). Planning on becoming a paid member soon and hoping to convince my friend to join as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:31 pm 

Ansgar wrote:
Thinking about coming out on Sunday to finally put some faces to the screen names and maybe bring a friend who's interested in ZS (if that's acceptable). Planning on becoming a paid member soon and hoping to convince my friend to join as well.

Come on down.. Bring your friend!

We love new people.

Jeriah wrote:
you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:26 pm 

Hey! Been gone a while and found my way back...who's still around? Moved to Mexico, MO. Anybody close?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:15 pm 

Hi all. I just joined the other day. I'm in Collinsville Il, just across the big river.

I've been looking at prepper stuff for a few years now (in any kind of 'serious' way). I already posted my reasons in the 'Why prep? Fear or Responsibility' thread. I have a mostly complete BOB, and am working toward a 6-month supply of stuff here at home. That's my current goal, and should it ever be reached, we'll see where my crazy goes from there.

As for disaster relief, I was in the Air Force, stationed on Scott, during the '93 floods, and assisted with evacuation in Alton. My Sister-in-law is from Japan. Her mother still lives in japan, and her house was damaged by the tsunami. So, aside from direct assistance to them, we picked what seemed to be the best organization to help both there and generally worldwide, and have given our support to Doctors without Borders.

As for horror (and other) fandom... yes. I read Fangoria as a kid, threw up doritos and fanta red cream soda during a horror marathon on Halloween when I was 8 or 9, during the movie Alien when Ian Holm got his head ripped off. Good times! I love most every kind of horror movie, from deeply psychological to splatter-slapstick, and from demonic possession to giant gila monsters attacking rock-a-billy teens. I'm also a sci-fi/fantasy fan. I used to be pretty huge comic fan, but have fallen away from that. Maybe it should be said I like comics but just don't collect them any more. I'm not big into video games. Nothing against them, I'm just not into FPSs and the like. I AM into pencil-and-paper Role Playing Games, and have been part of a game group almost continuously since... forever, 1983 or thereabouts.

So... I think that about covers everything.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:56 am 

hi all.. been a member for a littlebit now and just moved from nc back to peoria il...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:12 pm 

Hey everyone. I've known Drewder since high school. Decided to finally get involved in ZS after participating at the Quarantine on 17th. Had an absolute blast during that.

Anyway, my name is Doug. I'm an electrician, machinist, welder, and mechanic. I'm also an adrenaline junkie. I am a semi professional racecar driver as well. Some of you may have seen the car around town, yellow and black Subaru with a rather loud exhaust.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:17 pm 

Hey I actually just joined ZS after Archon 36 so I haven't been around long enough to make It to a meeting. I am from the Creve Coeur area so I am not that far off. I will most likely try to stop by the next meeting or the one after that. Anyways I just thought that I should stop by here and say Hi.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:22 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Hi. Ryan here.

I just joined yesterday. I've been wanting to get prepared for awhile now, but yesterday I accepted the fact that I have done absolutely nothing to advance toward that goal.

I am familiar with your organization through ARRG, for whom my wife has played for years.

I am a firm believer that learning is a perpetual task, and I'll be reading these forums, taking notes, and asking questions when I can't find the answers. I love to learn new tasks and procedures. I have never held a firearm, much less fired one, so I am looking for training in that skillset. I have never handled blades outside the kitchen, so I am looking for training in that skillset. I have never driven a manual transmission car before (learned to operate a motorcycle earlier this year), so I am looking for training in that skillset. Flying a plane, field dressing an animal, welding, sewing, tracking, starting a fire, building a shelter, working on an engine....I don't know how to do anything of these things, but I intend to learn them as the opportunities arrive. Right now, I'm really behind the curve, but I'm a quick study and committed to becoming more self-reliant.

I was an indoor kid in the suburbs. Everything we owned was new-ish, so my formative years weren't spent learning how to fix things. This is not an excuse, just an explanation. My dad had a similar upbringing, so learning to pay someone to fix something was ingrained in us from an early age, instead of self reliance. Now that I own my own home, I'm trying to do as much of the work on it myself as I can. I find that it makes me appreciate what I have more.

I look forward to meeting each of you, and while I'm a complete noob with regard to preparation and survival skills, I won't be for long. I appreciate all the guidance and advice I know I'll receive from this group, and I hope to be able to eventually pass along the wisdom I've garnered to newer members in kind.

Thanks,

Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:01 am 

Hi folks! We are the 66th Confluence scout group of the Baden-Powell Service Association (BPSA). We are newly chartered group headquartered in the South City area but with members from all over St. Louis. We are also fans of the Zombie Squad and we would love to collaborate with you all on upcoming service projects. Our scouts range in age from 5 on up, and include adult (Rover) scouts. If you are not familiar with the BPSA, we are an open & inclusive "traditional" scouting program that is based on the original model of scouting as laid down by its founder, Robert Baden-Powell, in 1907. We are "traditional" in that our focus is mainly on outdoor skills & activities (rather than being cooped up in a room or earning badges for video games!) and community service.

We are also recruiting scouts from the St. Louis area who would like to join us. If you know of anyone interested, please have them email us at 66thconfluence (at) gmail (dot) com.

Quote:
The BPSA offers a traditional ("back to basics") Scouting program for youth and adults, girls and boys, men and women with open and progressive membership policies that disallow any and all discrimination. We believe the youth of our country need a Scouting program today that reflects the progressive, open and tolerant values we hold as a nation. An alternative program that keeps to the aims, methods and teachings of Scouting's founder, Robert Baden-Powell, and that offers a program of progressive training in Scoutcraft/outdoor skills and teaches service over self to ALL boys and girls, men and women. Our aim is to promote good citizenship, discipline, self-reliance, loyalty, and useful skills.

We have a full range of training and proficiency badges for all program sections:

Otters (ages 5-7)
Timberwolves (ages 8-10)
Pathfinders (ages 11-17)
Rovers (ages 18 & up)

The BPSA offers a choice for those with curiosity, energy and independence of spirit. We are committed to providing an appropriate alternative and community-oriented Scouting experience. BPSA welcomes everyone, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion (or no-religion) or other differentiating factors. Our mission is to provide a positive learning environment within the context of democratic participation and social justice. We foster the development of Scouts in an environment of mutual respect and cooperation.

The Goal: Scouting for Everyone! It's that simple.

Thanks, and we hope to hear from someone soon about volunteering our services at an upcoming Zombie Squad event in the St. Louis area!

Yours in Traditional Scouting,
Jeff—66th Confluence/BPSA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:29 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Already threw up an intro in the general thread but thought I'd give the local folks a special hello.

My name is Jimmy, 26, work full time and take night classes for my masters at UMSL. I'm an Eagle Scout (Troop 21 from Clayton, Pathfinder District) but haven't done anything super outdoorsy since 2009 when I lived in a tent in Alaska as part of an AmeriCorps gig (which was the bomb .com).

My girlfriend has recently expressed interest in doing more outdoors/camping activities which has rekindled my interest in them as well, but being that its cold outside I have to wait until spring before we really test her interest. That said, I signed up with ZS as a seemingly awesome resource to get back into outdoor adventures - not to mention the prepping aspects and firearms knowledge base, both of which are becoming more and more important to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 pm 

Hi everyone!

In two weeks (4/17/13) I am moving from Ft. Lauderdale to STL! I really want to start being more active in the group and attending meetups, I figured the original chapter was the way to go.

A little about me:

My name is Madison. I am female, 28 y/o, I have a nice handful of firearms (Ruger mk III talo .22, Ruger LC9 talo 9mm, Walther p38 9mm, PLR-16 5.56/.223, Vepr Super 5.56/.223, and I just purchased a mosin nagant 7.62x54r that I will be modifying as a project gun) and enjoy going to the range. I am also interested in creating a nice little bug out bag, maybe some prepping, and eventually buying a piece of land somewhere remote to build a getaway on.

I also enjoy a more digital lifestyle with video games, computers, geek stuff, etc.

Anyways, I am excited to start fresh and new in STL! I hope to see you all soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:37 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Welcome. You'll be here just in time for our April meeting on the 21st. Feel free to drop by.

I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:12 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

magically_malicious wrote:
Hi everyone!

In two weeks (4/17/13) I am moving from Ft. Lauderdale to STL! I really want to start being more active in the group and attending meetups, I figured the original chapter was the way to go.

A little about me:

My name is Madison. I am female, 28 y/o, I have a nice handful of firearms (Ruger mk III talo .22, Ruger LC9 talo 9mm, Walther p38 9mm, PLR-16 5.56/.223, Vepr Super 5.56/.223, and I just purchased a mosin nagant 7.62x54r that I will be modifying as a project gun) and enjoy going to the range. I am also interested in creating a nice little bug out bag, maybe some prepping, and eventually buying a piece of land somewhere remote to build a getaway on.

I also enjoy a more digital lifestyle with video games, computers, geek stuff, etc.

Anyways, I am excited to start fresh and new in STL! I hope to see you all soon.

Outstanding, I hope to see you here! We've got a really good crew.