It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible upcoming move
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:59 pm 

I just recieved word today that I made the short list for a promotion within my agency. Along with it comes a move to Berlin, NH. I was born and raised in Central Louisiana and have been living in SE Texas for the past few years. I am stoked about the potential promotion and all, but the idea of moving to a completely different enviroment scares the hell out of me. Based on various info found on the web it snows more in NH in one month than it has down here in my whole life. I've never lived in a cold climate, never driven in snow, etc. I need some advice. Badly. Hell, I dont even know if my family cars (Ford Taurus and Chevy Trailblazer 2WD) are good enough to use up there.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

USPHack wrote:
I just recieved word today that I made the short list for a promotion within my agency. Along with it comes a move to Berlin, NH. I was born and raised in Central Louisiana and have been living in SE Texas for the past few years. I am stoked about the potential promotion and all, but the idea of moving to a completely different enviroment scares the hell out of me. Based on various info found on the web it snows more in NH in one month than it has down here in my whole life. I've never lived in a cold climate, never driven in snow, etc. I need some advice. Badly. Hell, I dont even know if my family cars (Ford Taurus and Chevy Trailblazer 2WD) are good enough to use up there.

Heh. It's NH, not Siberia. A 4wd would be nice, but find out if they salt/plow or not, and go from there. There are people who live in areas that get a lot of snow and never own a truck. I have a feeling anywhere above 1500' has more snow in a year than you've seen your whole life. :awesome:

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:29 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I'm willing to bet that the locals will be able to give you all the pointers and info you'll need.

I'm sure that you'll suffer a bit of "culture shock" at first, but from my cursory google maps search, that looks like it could be an awesome area to live.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:51 pm 

RickOShea wrote:
I'm willing to bet that the locals will be able to give you all the pointers and info you'll need.

I'm sure that you'll suffer a bit of "culture shock" at first, but from my cursory google maps search, that looks like it could be an awesome area to live.

More often than not the locals are somewhat less than enthused about a federal prison opening for a multitude of reasons. Culture shock is actually one of the few things I'm not concerned about.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:06 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

USPHack wrote:
RickOShea wrote:

More often than not the locals are somewhat less than enthused about a federal prison opening for a multitude of reasons. Culture shock is actually one of the few things I'm not concerned about.

My bad then. Here's to hoping that it will be exactly as you think ot will be, so that there are no surprises. :|

Good luck.

Out.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:30 am 

USPHack wrote:
I've never lived in a cold climate, never driven in snow, etc. I need some advice. Badly. Hell, I dont even know if my family cars (Ford Taurus and Chevy Trailblazer 2WD) are good enough to use up there.

A few tips on snow/cold weather driving. Make sure your wipers are fresh. Older wipers don't clear moisture from the windshield as well as newer ones do. In Colorado I typically changed mine when winter started and ended.

Always have a snow brush/ice scraper in your car. ALWAYS. Two is preferred. You never know when you're going to need one.

4WD is a very nice luxury to have when the snow starts falling, but it's not absolutely essential. My dad wouldn't let me use the 4WD in the suburban because he was afraid that the weight of the truck would sink through the snow and keep the system from slipping the way it needed to. Some things I learned about rear wheel driving in snow: make sure the tires on your driving wheels are the best. I always rotated the best tires to my back axle. Put weight over your driving wheels. FWD is better in that respect because you have the engine and transmission weighing it down. I don't know how heavy a trail blazer is, but I never really needed the extra weight over the axle in the 'burban. I had friends that would use everything from 45 pound plates from the gym to an old engine block for weight over the rear tires. Good throttle control will serve you well.

squinty wrote:
I'll keep that up 'til I get to waffle house, order hashbrowns and tell the waitress "geez, you shoulda seen this knife wielding nut I met earlier tonight... Scary!" And she'll say "It's ok now honey, do you need some more coffee?"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:52 pm 

Get a good water shedding coat like an ORGear, Northface, or Arc'teryx jacket. Yes, they are spendy, but damn if they won't keep you dry. Dry = warm, warm = happier (not happy since you will still be freezing your balls off). The name of the game for cold weather is to layer up which means getting a jacket that is a size too big. I wear mediums, and I have one jacket for really cold temps in an XL so I can wear one to four layers under it.

ORGear jacket I recommend (I own two ORGear jackets, four in my life time)

I own this jacket. Fucking awesome. I will always have this jacket because it comes with an Infinite Guarentee. If it starts to rip, tear, or fall apart, ORGear will warranty it and replace it free of charge.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-ge ... t-m-s.html

I own this jacket as well. I can send it to you to try out if you wish, but I wish it had a hood.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-ge ... t-m-s.html

Northface (never owned one, but people love them)

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc- ... tionId=VB9

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc- ... tionId=JK3

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc- ... tionId=VB4

Arc'teryx (expensive, but awesome jackets).

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN ... #Softshell

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN ... #Softshell

Whatever you do, get something with a hood. You can thank me later.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Post subject: Possible upcoming move
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:49 pm 

-----P----- wrote:
Always have a snow brush/ice scraper in your car. ALWAYS. Two is preferred. You never know when you're going to need one.

As a dedicated prepper I am obliged to share the fact that in a pinch, a credit card or a badge from work will also work. In heavy snow a sleeve may be handy for getting the snow over the top off.

-----P----- wrote:
4WD is a very nice luxury to have when the snow starts falling, but it's not absolutely essential. My dad wouldn't let me use the 4WD in the suburban because he was afraid that the weight of the truck would sink through the snow and keep the system from slipping the way it needed to. Some things I learned about rear wheel driving in snow: make sure the tires on your driving wheels are the best. I always rotated the best tires to my back axle. Put weight over your driving wheels. FWD is better in that respect because you have the engine and transmission weighing it down. I don't know how heavy a trail blazer is, but I never really needed the extra weight over the axle in the 'burban. I had friends that would use everything from 45 pound plates from the gym to an old engine block for weight over the rear tires. Good throttle control will serve you well.

AWD and 4x4 are very nice and extremely helpful but I place greater value on ABS. Stopping is critical. Just remember to slow down, plan well ahead and if you fail to do this, hope for ABS. If ABS isn't an option -pump 'em!

Getting used to the loss of traction just requires some snow snd an empty parking lot. The reflex of turning into the skid will develop pretty quickly.

Finally, try and appreciate the differences. You probably won't find the same BBQ that you had in Texas but the maple syrup should be thick and abundant! And don't complains about everything being bigger and better in Texas. No one likes a whiner.

Good luck up there!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:09 pm 

USPHack wrote:

Sounds like a move up the ladder.

For fun - http://www.pgnh.org/gunlawfaqs

Check local traffic/driving laws as well. It's not one world, but NH is better than most of the East Coast for leaving folks alone...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:06 pm 

Well, I got the promotion. Flying up next week to house hunt. Debating on whether I will bring my EDC pistol in my checked luggage, I have never flown commercial, so it is something else foreign to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:52 pm 

Well, here I sit freezing my tail off in the New Hampshire north country. I thought the drive up was going to suck but it turns out that driving 2k miles from SE Texas was the easy part. Living in a hotel with 2 kids, a wife, and the mother in law? I'd take zombies any day. Hopefully we will be moving into a house within the next couple weeks, which of course is giving me all sorts of stress since the whole winter thing is such a different animal to me. Cords of wood and fuel oil? Mkay. On the good side I will finally have enough space in my residence to do some prepping. Basement FTW. That is if I don't end up bankrupt from buying the whole family a new wardrobe to survive winter or go totally insane from being stuck in this F'in hotel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:48 pm 

Hope your family is settled in and your winter is going well. :clap:
Would love an update on your transition to the north east.