Diners Drive ins and Dives

Topics on travel. Heading out of the country or just out of state? Stop by here to share advice or post questions.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RomeoRockwell

Diners Drive ins and Dives

Post by RomeoRockwell » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:39 pm

What's your out of the norm places if someone ever travels to your area they must stop at.

Chicago is known for hot dogs and polishes so...

Jims Original -1250 S. UNION AVE CHICAGO, IL 60607- Hole in the wall late night special. The first and still the best Polish sausage i have ever eaten. Use to come here with my Uncle and Grandfather every Sun, after shopping at the flea market.

Hot Dougs -3324 NORTH CALIFORNIA, CHICAGO, IL 60618- This place takes dogs to a whole new level, and on Saturday they make fries with duck fat. menu, specials. Elk, venison, antelope, buffalo, chorizo, wild boar, foie, crawfish and more. This guy will make a sausage out of anything.

Lets see wat you got..

Brotherhood is the very price and condition of man's survival.

leadpulaski

Re: Diners Drive ins and Dives

Post by leadpulaski » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:59 am

We have a pizza place here that puts an INSANE amount of toppings on their pizzas. I recommend anybody driving through try out Second Avenue Pizza.

Other than that our restaurants are blah.

RomeoRockwell

Post by RomeoRockwell » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:54 pm

leadpulaski wrote:We have a pizza place here that puts an INSANE amount of toppings on their pizzas. I recommend anybody driving through try out Second Avenue Pizza.

Other than that our restaurants are blah.
Im assuming Idaho. :mrgreen:

Brotherhood is the very price and condition of man's survival.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:32 pm

Couple of places. If you ever get to Fallon (it's in NV) hit Los Compadres
. Good food, good prices.

The Windmill restaurant Wenatchee, Washington, Over the moon steaks and pie to die for...deep dish apple, of course.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:59 pm

TacAir wrote:Couple of places. If you ever get to Fallon (it's in NV) hit Los Compadres
. Good food, good price.
Yes was very good dinner If I recall.
If anyone is near Wooster Ohio you need to try Coccia House Pizza.

RogerK

Post by RogerK » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:06 pm

The Riverdale Tavern has some serious kick ass food, especially fish and frog legs on Friday night.
If you are ever going to be in the area, let me know, I'll buy us a beer! :mrgreen:
Thomas Gallowglass wrote:Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'...

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:20 pm

If ever in central/west Texas - Underwoods BBQ in brownwood is un-beatable. Make it on over to Abilene and let Sharron Allen at Lytle land and cattle company sling you a ribeye - you won't want to leave.

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Not wanting to start a BBQ war 'cause everyone is partial to something different, and I sure did enjoy the beef BBQ we've had in Texas, but here in NC we focus on pork BBQ. Lexington style or Eastern style, I'm betting you'll find some that you'll like so much you'll surely want more of it. If you pull into a place that's a BBQ restaurant but you can't smell any smoke on the outside, you might oughta keep on driving to the next place you come to. Chopped or sliced, most places will load up your plate (or sandwich) with tender, smoky pork BBQ. Throw in some tangy BBQ slaw, some crispy hush puppies and a bottomless glass of sweet tea and you're all set. I usually get mine coarse chopped on a plate with a double side of turnip greens, hold the hush puppies.

Peach

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:44 pm

If you ever visit NM, there's a few out of the ordinary gems here (by that I mean non-New Mexican cuisine.)

Carlsbad - Happy's - it's on the end of town nearest the caverns, in what used to be a service station. Best burgers & breakfast in the town, possibly the state.

Santa Fe - LuLu's Chinese - IMO the only good Chinese food in the entire state. Attached to the Quality Inn on Cerrillos rd. For New Mexican food that isn't a tourist trap, Posa's - 2 locations, both on Rodeo Rd. (one at Zafarano, the other at Galisteo) - great NM style food, but most people would drive right by because they're not attractive looking restaurants.

Albuquerque - The tourist trap that's worth visiting is Sadie's - I love that place, but it's usually hellishly packed.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:48 pm

If you come to Rocket City you should go to Rosies. They have Tex-Mex and Mexican.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:56 pm

We don't live in Toronto anymore but I still get cravings for The Tulip, on Queen St, just West of the Beaches. Everything they make is GOOO-ood!! but their chopped sirloin is divine and their chocolate cake is to die for.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

TEC9man

Post by TEC9man » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:53 pm

My favorite diner is Mullberry's in Union Grove, WI. Everything is home made. Also the Bristol 45 Diner in Bristol,WI isn't bad either.
Psalm 27:1-5
All the above statements are that of TEC9man and not necesarily that of ZS, it's moderators or members.

Tenderfoot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland; The Walking Dead

Post by Tenderfoot » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:45 pm

In the ATL you have to go Gladys Knight and Ron Wynans Chicken and Waffles.
"You never know when something will need to be stabbed after being shot repeatedly..."
Local gunstore clerk talking about bayonets

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:02 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:27 am

Reviving this thread!
TEC9man wrote:My favorite diner is Mullberry's in Union Grove, WI. Everything is home made. Also the Bristol 45 Diner in Bristol,WI isn't bad either.
Mullberry's is the realness. I'm a big fan.

Up in my old neighborhood, Gilles(http://www.gillesfrozencustard.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) had some of the best Frozen Custard ever, if you are ever in Milwaukee i'd recommend it. As for my current digs, Delavan Wi has a nice little(and i mean little) German Resturant called Margot's. In typical Wisconsin fashion, it's also a bar(with imported german beers on tap). Still, I'd put the food on par with more famous German resturants like Karl Ratzsch's and Mader's. The Waterfront doesn't have a signature dish, but it always has TONS of quality beers and wine. The food is excellent and you can finish your drinks on the upper deck overlooking the sunset on the Lake.

Madison Wi- My favorite has to be Ella's Deli(http://www.ellasdeli.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It's basically a Jewish Deli on steroids. It has a Carousel outside, and the inside is packed with animated toys and castles and all kinds of stuff. It's really overwhelming the first time you go there. As for the food, it's all made from scratch, and it's all wonderful. Still, if you have kids, it's a must stop IMO.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

AmnJoker333
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead

Post by AmnJoker333 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Piggybacking the thread necro.

Back home: Charlotte, NC: Kyle Fletcher's BBQ. Perhaps the first best chopped pork bbq I have had. They sell it by the pound, with your choice of spicy vinegar bbq sauce, or original bbq sauce.
The Penguin: Old-school burger joint. Their onion rings are phenomenal, and they have Yngling on tap.

Hill AFB Utah (or Ogden Utah): Famous Dave's BBQ. Ruby River Steakhouse. Ruby River does their own microbrews, and the steaks aren't bad either.

Osan AB, Republic of Korea (or Songtan City): Tiba 2-for-one Chickens, good little fried-chicken place. Just don't assume the "Hot bbq" is the Buffalo Wild Wings "Spicy BBQ" like I did. It set my ass on fire. Fogo's Brazilian restarant: Pretty decent Brazilian steakhouse.

Misawa AB, Japan: For Chinese, go to New Miyaki's or Karimba's. There are a few good Izakaya's in the area as well, such as Tsubohachi. For the uninitiated, an izakaya is a restarant where you pay a flat rate for beer for an hour, then order small dishes to snack on, like teriyaki chicken, sashimi, etc. There is also a Coco's Ichibanya curry place near by in Hachinohe (the next city over).
AR-15/Glock/.45 vs 9mm neutral/pie

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Monterey, CA area:

Vivolo's Chowder house in Pacific Grove. These guys are solid and one of the few places in the area that serves fresh fish instead of shit bought in from Sysco. They change their fryer oil daily -- unlike the tourist traps -- are family friendly, but still have a good beer and wine selection.

Papa Chevo's in Seaside. It's not authentic Mexican. It's not Tex-Mex. It's a special blend of Mexican food that started in San Francisco and San Diego. They have multiple locations, but the one in Seaside is the best. Carne Asada fries all the way.

The Orient in Seaside. A Vietnamese owned and operated place with a full Chinese (mostly Cantonese) menu and a full Vietnamese menu. The best thing about this place is that the vegetable are all fresh, lightly cooked and still crispy/fresh instead of being cooked into oblivion like most Chinese joints.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:31 pm

If you pass through West Lafayette, IN, check out the XXX diner on the State Street hill, near campus.

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Mugs and Jugs in Clearwater, FL. Better wings than Hooters. Better burgers than Hooters. Bigger and better beer selection than Hooters. Better waitresses than Hooters.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:10 pm

If youre ever in Hawaii, we have loads of little gems. A few of my favorites which I eat at often are...

Alicia's Market in Kalihi. Actually a grocery store with a deli/poke/plate lunch counter in the back. Some of the best poke on island. Hot foods include smoked brisquet, chinese style roast pork, char siu pork, prime rib, roasted turkey tails, kalua pig, seared ahi, furikkake salmon among lots of other things. Their signiture plate is prime rib and your choice of fresh ahi poke, with crab-potato salad, rice and kim chee. For about 12 bucks.

Miki's in aiea. Has a changing menu based on what day of the week it is. Most of the food is all slow cooked "plate lunch" style. Things like teriyaki meatballs, meatloaf, laulau, pasteles, beef stew are all great. The prices are real decent. 7 bucks a plate, 8.25 for a combo, and it is a lot of food. The best part about this place though, is the hours. Its a late night place, open from 10pm-10am every night. Perfect for after the bars, or during a graveyard shift.

Okata bento in Honolulu. Barely even a window on a busy street. But oh boy, the BEST teri cheese burgers I've ever had. And thats saying a lot. Cheap, cheesy, greasy and wonderful.

Rainbow Drive in. I dont think is even counts any more, this was on the actual DDD show, and is one of the more classic nostalgic spots on island. For good reason, its still one of the best. THeir chicken cutlet is fantastic. Always order everything with extra gravy. But always order it as "gravy all over".

Kiawe grill. There are a few of these on island. Amazing quailty Hawaiian/korean BBQ. Everything is cooked over kiawe (hawaiian mesquite), and simply seasoned pulehu style (hawaiian salt and black pepper). So much meat... They have fantastic kalbi ribs (korean beef short ribs), burgers (everything from elk, buffalo, kobe beef...), lamb chops, pork chops. All so good.

And dont be afraid of spam.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Lexington, KY: Lynaugh's Irish Pub. Order the O'Round. Quite possibly the best burger in the bluegrass. They also make damn good beer cheese. Located near the intersection of Woodland Ave. and Euclid Ave Downtown.

Goodfella's Pizza. New York-style Pizza by the slice or order their 36 inch 'za. Located Downtown near Rupp Arena.

Sir Pizza. Local delivery chain. All toppings go through a grinder and get layered on thick. Best 'za: Meat Amore. Two inch thick pizza, 1/4 thick crust.

Hazard, KY: Giovanni's. Pizza and subs. A little pricey, but top quality. Located on HWY 80 across from the Shell Mart.

BP gas station w/ diner, located on HWY 15 near Fugate's Entertainment center. Hamburgers made with 100% beef, and quality subs. Best offering: A Philly Cheese steak that several Philly natives describe as being "Very very close" and "The best I've had outside of Philly".

Ben's Quick Stop. Located on HWY 28 1/4 mile past the HWY 28 HWY 15 intersection. Daily specials of Country-style dishes.

Jackson, KY: Haddix Dairy Bar. Located at the intersection of HWY 15 and HWY 1110. Good road food at decent prices.

The White Flash. Located in downtown Jackson across from the old courthouse (not to be confused with the uniformly dreadful White Flash II). Great little hamburgers at a great price (75 cents a piece last time I was there).
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Campbellsville, Ky ( If you are here you are probably lost or born here) Ask any one how to get to Druthers. You can get a Full order of Bis quite and gravy a full rasher of bacon and a large sweet tea for 4.50 cents.......
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:17 pm

El Burrito in my hometown Redlands, CA. Tasty Californio food, and the burritos are (obviously) the stars and are made with the best flour tortillas you will ever eat. My favorite is the "garbage" burrito, don't be out off by the name, that's just Inland Empire talk for "everything". San francisco has great food, but nothing I pine for like El Burrito, when I visit, I never bring less than ten burritos home with me.
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Murphy NC, odd hours, but awesome Italian-
http://www.murphymountainliving.com/Gre ... -Murphy-NC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(first review)

call first, they are not open every day.
Italian Caffé & Deli
(828) 837-1301
4195 W US Highway 64, Murphy NC

Return to “Travel”