It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:16 pm 

As the title states I will be leaving to the Philippines in 10 days. I am going there to meet a girl I've fallen in love with over the last six months. Has anyone been there before? Any advice would be appreciated. I will be spending the majority of the trip in north central Luzon if that helps, aside from landing in Manila and the subsequent bus ride up there. So basically I wont be spending any time at beaches or resorts.

I have my passport and all my injections taken care of. Rumor is the main city Manila which I will be landing in has a lot of theft at the airport. Now I know I'm not allowed to take my iron, but what about a pocket knife in the checked baggage? If its not allowed I can just buy one there, I just like to be prepared in case you know. Is it easier to change money over to their denominations in Sea-Tac where I have a layover at or in the Manila airport when I get there? I would much prefer to not do it in Manila as pulling out large sums of cash would catch some unwanted attention im sure. Are gangs a big worry there? Anything else I should be wary of would be appreciated.

Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:32 pm 

The philippines is home to some terrorist groups like Abu Sayyaf, jemaah islamiyah , etc i would read up on them , look out for pickpockets or strangers that randomly bump into you , maybe you can mail a package to certain address with a pocket knife in instead of putting it in the checked baggage and read the state deparments information put together for people about to travel to the philippines. Good Luck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:06 pm 

I've been to the PI more times than I can count.... Keep your wallet and passport in your front pocket ALWAYS! Dont let the guys at the airport grab your bags to put in the taxi otherwise you're obligated to tip them (even if you didn't ask for the help). You can get a better Dollar-Peso exchange rate in Manila, just make sure you use an approved counter. Also, U.S. Customs will question you if you have more than 4000 Peso ($100) at departure. If your riding the bus to your destination keep your bag with you at all times or it will be stolen. Most of the terrorist activities happen around Manila and in the lower provinces such as Zamboanga and Sulu, that doesn't mean that things can't happen elsewhere.... Just stay alert and you'll be alright. Most importantly, have fun and good luck with the romance:)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:30 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Have a good backup plan in case your internet romance goes horribly wrong upon first meeting.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:39 pm 

take lots of pictures. we expect a trip report.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:42 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

http://mb.com.ph/node/348913/philippine

I'm just sayin'.

:wink:

also: what Crypto said. srsly

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:30 am 

PsyGuy wrote:
I've been to the PI more times than I can count.... Keep your wallet and passport in your front pocket ALWAYS! Dont let the guys at the airport grab your bags to put in the taxi otherwise you're obligated to tip them (even if you didn't ask for the help). You can get a better Dollar-Peso exchange rate in Manila, just make sure you use an approved counter. Also, U.S. Customs will question you if you have more than 4000 Peso ($100) at departure. If your riding the bus to your destination keep your bag with you at all times or it will be stolen. Most of the terrorist activities happen around Manila and in the lower provinces such as Zamboanga and Sulu, that doesn't mean that things can't happen elsewhere.... Just stay alert and you'll be alright. Most importantly, have fun and good luck with the romance:)

Double check on this one.

Been there more than a couple of times, last one few years ago now in the Zamboanga area which is whole story in itself.

In Manila you will probably collect some "helpful" friends real quick. First trip and not harder than woodpecker lips then really no advice on not getting at least a little skinned at least once, be it the helpful "travel guides" or taxi driver so just live with it and don't let it spoil your trip.

If you haven't been out of the country much it might seem a little intimidating, but just know where you are going and try not to get too distracted by all the helpful friends you will collect if you stand still looking dazed (and even if you don't). Small money you will work with while traveling separate from your big money and Passport which should be stowed safely.

Anyway, I have nothing but fun in the PI other than the regular and insistent small scams. Never ran into violent crime just a wide variety of grifters. Still it is pretty much good to go, have fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:13 pm 

Space Jockey wrote:
As the title states I will be leaving to the Philippines in 10 days. I am going there to meet a girl I've fallen in love with over the last six months. Has anyone been there before? Any advice would be appreciated. I will be spending the majority of the trip in north central Luzon if that helps, aside from landing in Manila and the subsequent bus ride up there. So basically I wont be spending any time at beaches or resorts.

I have my passport and all my injections taken care of. Rumor is the main city Manila which I will be landing in has a lot of theft at the airport. Now I know I'm not allowed to take my iron, but what about a pocket knife in the checked baggage? If its not allowed I can just buy one there, I just like to be prepared in case you know. Is it easier to change money over to their denominations in Sea-Tac where I have a layover at or in the Manila airport when I get there? I would much prefer to not do it in Manila as pulling out large sums of cash would catch some unwanted attention im sure. Are gangs a big worry there? Anything else I should be wary of would be appreciated.

Excuse the thread necro, but how did it go? I am headed that way in April. I've already gotten a lot of tips from guys I work with, but anything else you could throw my way?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:37 pm 

The trip went fine. I'm not with that girl anymore due to her ending up being a scammer, but most of what people have said in here is true. A few tips I learned:

Take a good number of small bills. Their money averages about 40 pesos per dollar, so take a number of 20, 50 and 100 bills (peso bills) with only a few larger bills of 500 and 1000 (only worth about $12 and $25 each) on hand at a time. Taxi drivers never have change so don't expect any.

Try to know your prices, i took an hour long cab ride for two people that cost only 7 USD, but i also had one that was 15 USD for just myself. Some cabs are set rates, others charge by distance, try to find one that charges by distance as thats the cheaper ones I've found. Either way for me the price was damn fine but don't be surprised in some changing prices.

The people are friendly if not somewhat shy. Then again being a tall white guy was probably a little intimidating. Most know English but a few dont. There should not be any language difficulties.

I didnt notice any crime when I was there, but I stayed away from the seedy parts of Manila anyway. Safety should not be an issue, but I brought a pocket knife in my luggage anyway. I also travelled to the smaller towns where a few children would follow me around thinking I was rich or something because I'm white. Dont give any handouts.

Bring your own toilet paper, no joke that stuff is like gold over there and there will never be enough. Napkins are also apparently rare and single ply only.

Dont drink the water. I came back with a stomach bug that was quite uncomfortable, it lasted almost a month and I was downing Pepto bismol by the bottle. Doctor tests couldnt find anything wrong with my bloodwork or stool but there was definitely something going on. Carbonated beverages and liquids from sealed bottles only, including water. The filtering stations they use for water in some of the cities is not enough. No fountain sodas, no ice, and fresh fruit should be cleaned with your bottled water only. This includes salads. If you are skeptical take a few iodine tablets with you.

In general everything turned out fine so definitely have a good time. Hotels are plentiful, food is cheap and delicious, women are beautiful and there is a lot of green fields around. Any other questions let me know and if I think of anything else I'll give you a heads up.

Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:47 pm 

Excuse the thread necro, but how did it go? I am headed that way in April. I've already gotten a lot of tips from guys I work with, but anything else you could throw my way?[/quote]

I also have spent a lot of time in the PI, wife is from Zamboanga City. Had a condo in on the outskirts of Manila for a few years. Some good advice already given about the water and food.

Mail system sucks, dont mail anything you arent willing to lose. Local Postal workers are corrupt and will steal packages from the US or US addresses. Unless you have an APO address to receive your mail, then you are good.

There are lots of kidnappings down south in Zamboanga. Manila mostly petty crime, pick pockets, muggings. Typical big city crime.

Also exchange money in the PI and check current rates before you get there. Peso has gone way done in last 8 years. a lot of counterfeit stuff there, ie silver coins, watches, jewelry sold on street and in markets.

You can pick up an unlocked cell phone cheap and sim cards are a couple of dollars, then get prepaid card. If your phone takes a SIM card already and unlocked then it will work.

Electricity is 220, but they use the same type of plug-ins as the US. Make sure you have converter or your electronics will get fried.

I was always told not to get tattoo there, but there are clean shops, but beware its not regulated like in US.

Malaria and Denge Fever is very common there. Bring bug juice and take your meds.

Everyone haggles for price, dont pay asking price, haggle with them and ask for LAST PRICE. Then offer them less than that.

English is the Official Language of the Philippines, so almost everyone speaks english except some of the old people.

I always carried money in front pockets and hid some emergency money in shoe, just in case. Be especially vigilant if using an ATM everyone is watching YOU, always.

Beware of cabbies, recommend only using licenced cabs. They have permits and meters just like the States. Stay off the Jeepneys and trikes. Worst drivers in the World I have ever seen live and drive in Manila.

Most businesses have armed security guards and they pat down everyone going inside. Make sure you have nothing that will get you in trouble.

The Philippine Police are internationally rated as one of the Worlds most corrupt. They do take bribes, just be somewhat discreet.

San Miguel/San Mig Light and all the other bottles there are recycled so dont break any bottles on peoples heads, they will make you pay for the bottles.

The women are awesome! But remember the 3 W's! (Wear rubber, Wash and Wizz)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:50 pm 

Space Jockey wrote:
The trip went fine. I'm not with that girl anymore due to her ending up being a scammer, but most of what people have said in here is true. A few tips I learned:

Take a good number of small bills. Their money averages about 40 pesos per dollar, so take a number of 20, 50 and 100 bills (peso bills) with only a few larger bills of 500 and 1000 (only worth about $12 and $25 each) on hand at a time. Taxi drivers never have change so don't expect any.

Try to know your prices, i took an hour long cab ride for two people that cost only 7 USD, but i also had one that was 15 USD for just myself. Some cabs are set rates, others charge by distance, try to find one that charges by distance as thats the cheaper ones I've found. Either way for me the price was damn fine but don't be surprised in some changing prices.

The people are friendly if not somewhat shy. Then again being a tall white guy was probably a little intimidating. Most know English but a few dont. There should not be any language difficulties.

I didnt notice any crime when I was there, but I stayed away from the seedy parts of Manila anyway. Safety should not be an issue, but I brought a pocket knife in my luggage anyway. I also travelled to the smaller towns where a few children would follow me around thinking I was rich or something because I'm white. Dont give any handouts.

Bring your own toilet paper, no joke that stuff is like gold over there and there will never be enough. Napkins are also apparently rare and single ply only.

Dont drink the water. I came back with a stomach bug that was quite uncomfortable, it lasted almost a month and I was downing Pepto bismol by the bottle. Doctor tests couldnt find anything wrong with my bloodwork or stool but there was definitely something going on. Carbonated beverages and liquids from sealed bottles only, including water. The filtering stations they use for water in some of the cities is not enough. No fountain sodas, no ice, and fresh fruit should be cleaned with your bottled water only. This includes salads. If you are skeptical take a few iodine tablets with you.

In general everything turned out fine so definitely have a good time. Hotels are plentiful, food is cheap and delicious, women are beautiful and there is a lot of green fields around. Any other questions let me know and if I think of anything else I'll give you a heads up.

Sorry to hear the girlfriend thing didn't work out for ya. I spent a good deal of time stationed in Asia. Filipinas are pretty rampant here, and a solid 70% of them are scammers, so I feel your pain. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Did customs give you any issues about the pocket knife in your luggage? I will be bringing one of mine with me as well, simply because I feel naked without it.

Most of my time, if not all, will be spent in Cavite. Did you make it down that way at all?

caveman wrote:
Excuse the thread necro, but how did it go? I am headed that way in April. I've already gotten a lot of tips from guys I work with, but anything else you could throw my way?

I also have spent a lot of time in the PI, wife is from Zamboanga City. Had a condo in on the outskirts of Manila for a few years. Some good advice already given about the water and food.

Mail system sucks, dont mail anything you arent willing to lose. Local Postal workers are corrupt and will steal packages from the US or US addresses. Unless you have an APO address to receive your mail, then you are good.

There are lots of kidnappings down south in Zamboanga. Manila mostly petty crime, pick pockets, muggings. Typical big city crime.

Also exchange money in the PI and check current rates before you get there. Peso has gone way done in last 8 years. a lot of counterfeit stuff there, ie silver coins, watches, jewelry sold on street and in markets.

You can pick up an unlocked cell phone cheap and sim cards are a couple of dollars, then get prepaid card. If your phone takes a SIM card already and unlocked then it will work.

Electricity is 220, but they use the same type of plug-ins as the US. Make sure you have converter or your electronics will get fried.

I was always told not to get tattoo there, but there are clean shops, but beware its not regulated like in US.

Malaria and Denge Fever is very common there. Bring bug juice and take your meds.

Everyone haggles for price, dont pay asking price, haggle with them and ask for LAST PRICE. Then offer them less than that.

English is the Official Language of the Philippines, so almost everyone speaks english except some of the old people.

I always carried money in front pockets and hid some emergency money in shoe, just in case. Be especially vigilant if using an ATM everyone is watching YOU, always.

Beware of cabbies, recommend only using licenced cabs. They have permits and meters just like the States. Stay off the Jeepneys and trikes. Worst drivers in the World I have ever seen live and drive in Manila.

Most businesses have armed security guards and they pat down everyone going inside. Make sure you have nothing that will get you in trouble.

The Philippine Police are internationally rated as one of the Worlds most corrupt. They do take bribes, just be somewhat discreet.

San Miguel/San Mig Light and all the other bottles there are recycled so dont break any bottles on peoples heads, they will make you pay for the bottles.

The women are awesome! But remember the 3 W's! (Wear rubber, Wash and Wizz)[/quote]

Thanks for the advice! As far as water goes, does it get to the point where you would recommend bottled water for dental hygiene?