Help planning a fun fall trip from Illinois to Colorado.

Topics on travel. Heading out of the country or just out of state? Stop by here to share advice or post questions.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ultra magnus

Help planning a fun fall trip from Illinois to Colorado.

Post by ultra magnus » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:33 pm

So I think the lady type and I are going to be taking a week (7days) long vacation. I'm planning on driving from Illinois to Colorado first week of September probably. So who knows of fun and interesting things to stop and see/do on the way, and once we get there? Interested in good food, Zoos, Museums (history, nature, science or art) maybe some light hiking, more like nature trails maybe or anything else interesting or fun.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Re: Help planning a fun fall trip from Illinois to Colorado.

Post by shrapnel » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Moved to Travel.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Rob Van
Favorite Zombie Movies: Either Zombieland or Shawn of the Dead

Post by Rob Van » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:57 am

Do you have a proposed route? What's your CO destination?
This will help with suggestions.

Off the top of my head, I remember there was an interesting wine tasting room serving locally produced wined in Sidney, NE (across from the Cabelas on I-80). Don't know if it's still there but it was a nice suprise. Also there is a CO wine tasting room on Highway 24 west of Colorado Spring that does a good bison burger and offers some great wines.

For light hiking, Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is beautiful, especially in late summer/early fall.

If you go through KC, barbecue is a must. I prefer Jack Stack over Arthur Bryants. Food was better. Another good barbecue place is Winslows (or something like that) on the right outside the Power and Light district in downtown KC. It's in a nice outdoor market area. In that same area is a pretty cool steamship museum. It's privately run and has an amazing collection of mid 19th century artifacts. There's a great local coffee house in the same market area.

I'm sure I can think of some more if you'd like.
Hope this helps,
Rob

meganriot

Post by meganriot » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Are you in Denver yet? If not, when & where are you going? What do you like to do, eat? There are a lot of fun places in Denver to visit and eat at. I do really like the Zoo, the Art Museum & the Natural History Museum (although I think they renamed it), but I only have Seattle to compare it to and they may not be as nice as the ones in Chicago. Denver is a little town that pretends to be a big city.
“She remembered the lead ammunition in her pocket and offered it to him. "Your balls, Mr. Darcy?" He reached out and closed her hand around them, and offered, "They belong to you, Miss Bennet.”
― Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:24 pm

The 'Four Corners' area is awesome. The rest of the KYZhunters and I were there last fall and had a great time visiting the cliff dwellers' ruins. While the tour at Mesa Verde is very informative, you can book a tour of more expansive ruins on the Ute Reservation http://www.utemountainute.com/tribalpark.htm and instead of looking at the ruins you get to climb down in them.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Return to “Travel”