It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:07 pm 

I believe the TSA is hiring. If you get the job, it's extra strokes for ZS'ers right? :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:35 pm 

basm wrote:
I don't know how they select people out of the line for extra screening. Sometimes it (to me) "feels" like it's not random, as you say.

I don't know about the US 'random' screening, but in NZ and AUS it's not really. They have a list of descriptions of 'high-risk' people that they make sure to question.

As an example: Are you an 18-30 y/o person coming back from SE Asia (especially by yourself)? You will get questioned about what drugs you took while over there and if you brought any back with you.

Rev wrote:
Someone mentioned something about $14 an hour? I'd be interested in taking their job.

That probably includes the 'Tips'. ;) :gonk:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:08 pm 

colinz wrote:
basm wrote:
I don't know how they select people out of the line for extra screening. Sometimes it (to me) "feels" like it's not random, as you say.

I don't know about the US 'random' screening, but in NZ and AUS it's not really. They have a list of descriptions of 'high-risk' people that they make sure to question.

As an example: Are you an 18-30 y/o person coming back from SE Asia (especially by yourself)? You will get questioned about what drugs you took while over there and if you brought any back with you.

Is that more a Customs thing, though?

What I'm talking about is a pilot program called "SPOT" being tested Boston Logan before rolling nationwide. In SPOT, there are special TSA agents that look at people and if they think they look a certain way, they pull them aside and ask them a battery of questions, and the questions are used to determine if you were, for example, planning to cause harm.

I am not so good at being pulled aside by strange people I do not know and asked pointed questions of a personal nature. I am probably like a lot of people in this respect in that this would make me nervous, suspicious, and a bit protective of what I am saying. I am not sure how this will fare for the average traveler who might be scared there's a "wrong answer" in this and so come off as a nervous freak. Also, I don't think the TSA agents will have to have much training to be able to do this (a few days? a few weeks?), and so I am not sure what'll happen.

But anyway something like this is apparently done in Israel, and we are trying to port their model on to our system.

Article: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/region ... id=1355725

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:24 pm 

Right. So if you get offended, look flustered, frightened or defensive, it's a sign of guilt. Even though those things are natural responses to being yanked aside and questioned.

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:25 pm 

I wonder what would happen if a passenger calmly and politely said "I don't want to discuss my personal business in depth with strangers, sir."

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:26 pm 

basm wrote:
I believe the TSA is hiring. If you get the job, it's extra strokes for ZS'ers right? :D

For you, baby? Three strokes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:53 am 

Dogan wrote:
s.leinicke wrote:
If I ever had to go through this security I'd just show up to the airport in a long trench coat naked underneath. Send the Trench coat through the scanner and walk through the metal detector. Screw em they can't give me public indecency they want to know that I'm not carrying anything.

*WARNING KLAXONS*
I have a long black trenchcoat.

I am flying at the end of the month.

I am comfortable with my body.

<.<
>.>
O.O

Hmmmm.... Naked save for leather G string, cowboy boots and hat... Fuck, life's too short to be taken seriously. I may try this.

Do it! XD You may want to put a pair of sweats in your carry on to change on the plane.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:34 pm 

I went to The Grand Canyon. Yeah I had to go through that scanner when I went from Little Rock To Phoenix. Then I had to go through the scanner again when I went back from Phoenix to Little Rock. I had fun at The Grand Canyon so I cannot complain too much. I took a lot of pictures. Too bad there were not any zombies there. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:22 pm 

s.leinicke wrote:
Dogan wrote:
s.leinicke wrote:
If I ever had to go through this security I'd just show up to the airport in a long trench coat naked underneath. Send the Trench coat through the scanner and walk through the metal detector. Screw em they can't give me public indecency they want to know that I'm not carrying anything.

*WARNING KLAXONS*
I have a long black trenchcoat.

I am flying at the end of the month.

I am comfortable with my body.

<.<
>.>
O.O

Hmmmm.... Naked save for leather G string, cowboy boots and hat... Fuck, life's too short to be taken seriously. I may try this.

They'd still make you take the boots off.
Do it! XD You may want to put a pair of sweats in your carry on to change on the plane.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 pm 

Dogan wrote:
LyraJean wrote:
Rev wrote:
Someone mentioned something about $14 an hour? I'd be interested in taking their job.

Me too.

Me three.

Not me. It's beneath my dignity - and I thought I had no shame.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:09 am 

This is just absurd. It is one thing to be sure that people are clean with what they bring and declare but it is another when they have to let people go through "naked" scanners. Though if all people will be up for it, and only a few and security personnels at that, will get to view, then we must all oblige.

I reckon that it will only be a matter of time before this type of thing best stopped.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:25 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I fly too much for work. I've been through one of the scanners twice. Yesterday because I was half asleep and walked into the wrong line. :?

What I dislike most about them is that they make me part from my wallet. I hate flying. The bar is too damn expensive, the security is a violation of, well every fucking thing... any way, I mostly had a comment on the questioning. I've noticed at certain times at certain airports they have an extra guy that strikes up a convo with you in the security line. I got wise to this pretty fast and start a line of conversation with them before they can get a word out. It entertains me. Also, I lie to them. I feel it is my right to lie to any one whom prys into my personal business. The best improvement to airline security was a locking cockpit door. They could save so much money by doing away with the illusion of security and putting a guy with a shotgun loaded with non lethal ammo in a seat at the front of the plane facing passengers. That would actually make you safer and probably cost less or the same. I'd love to see some asshat with a box cutter get shot in the face with a tazer round....

Upon reading one of my posts you should assume that before I post I reread my posts twice and then often again after I post to check and recheck for spelling and grammatical errors. And I still miss most of them because, as it turns out, when you are home-schooled, you are only as smart as your mom.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:28 pm 

SwampRat wrote:
I fly too much for work. I've been through one of the scanners twice. Yesterday because I was half asleep and walked into the wrong line. :?

What I dislike most about them is that they make me part from my wallet. I hate flying. The bar is too damn expensive, the security is a violation of, well every fucking thing... any way, I mostly had a comment on the questioning. I've noticed at certain times at certain airports they have an extra guy that strikes up a convo with you in the security line. I got wise to this pretty fast and start a line of conversation with them before they can get a word out. It entertains me. Also, I lie to them. I feel it is my right to lie to any one whom prys into my personal business. The best improvement to airline security was a locking cockpit door. They could save so much money by doing away with the illusion of security and putting a guy with a shotgun loaded with non lethal ammo in a seat at the front of the plane facing passengers. That would actually make you safer and probably cost less or the same. I'd love to see some asshat with a box cutter get shot in the face with a tazer round....

Why non-lethal? Glasers ought to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:47 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

[quote="madver"]... then we must all oblige.[\quote]
Actually, no, you can just opt out, in which case you get a pat down. I routinely do this, for reasons which may or may not be rational. And perhaps I look unfriendly, or they're mad, no one ever talks to me...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:35 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

fourway wrote:
SwampRat wrote:

Why non-lethal? Glasers ought to do.

So as they don't poke holes in the plane.

Upon reading one of my posts you should assume that before I post I reread my posts twice and then often again after I post to check and recheck for spelling and grammatical errors. And I still miss most of them because, as it turns out, when you are home-schooled, you are only as smart as your mom.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6