TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through them?

Topics on travel. Heading out of the country or just out of state? Stop by here to share advice or post questions.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
basm
* * *
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:46 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Silent Hill, REC (the original version), Resident Evil, The Last Man On Earth, Dawn of the Dead (modern version).
Location: Boston

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by basm » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:07 pm

I believe the TSA is hiring. If you get the job, it's extra strokes for ZS'ers right? :D

User avatar
colinz
* * * * *
Posts: 2602
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:23 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by colinz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:35 pm

basm wrote: I don't know how they select people out of the line for extra screening. Sometimes it (to me) "feels" like it's not random, as you say.
I don't know about the US 'random' screening, but in NZ and AUS it's not really. They have a list of descriptions of 'high-risk' people that they make sure to question.

As an example: Are you an 18-30 y/o person coming back from SE Asia (especially by yourself)? You will get questioned about what drugs you took while over there and if you brought any back with you.
Rev wrote: Someone mentioned something about $14 an hour? I'd be interested in taking their job.
That probably includes the 'Tips'. ;) :gonk:

User avatar
basm
* * *
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:46 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Silent Hill, REC (the original version), Resident Evil, The Last Man On Earth, Dawn of the Dead (modern version).
Location: Boston

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by basm » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:08 pm

colinz wrote:
basm wrote: I don't know how they select people out of the line for extra screening. Sometimes it (to me) "feels" like it's not random, as you say.
I don't know about the US 'random' screening, but in NZ and AUS it's not really. They have a list of descriptions of 'high-risk' people that they make sure to question.

As an example: Are you an 18-30 y/o person coming back from SE Asia (especially by yourself)? You will get questioned about what drugs you took while over there and if you brought any back with you.
Is that more a Customs thing, though?

What I'm talking about is a pilot program called "SPOT" being tested Boston Logan before rolling nationwide. In SPOT, there are special TSA agents that look at people and if they think they look a certain way, they pull them aside and ask them a battery of questions, and the questions are used to determine if you were, for example, planning to cause harm.

I am not so good at being pulled aside by strange people I do not know and asked pointed questions of a personal nature. I am probably like a lot of people in this respect in that this would make me nervous, suspicious, and a bit protective of what I am saying. I am not sure how this will fare for the average traveler who might be scared there's a "wrong answer" in this and so come off as a nervous freak. Also, I don't think the TSA agents will have to have much training to be able to do this (a few days? a few weeks?), and so I am not sure what'll happen.

But anyway something like this is apparently done in Israel, and we are trying to port their model on to our system.

Article: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/region ... id=1355725" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
squinty
* * * * *
Posts: 5753
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by squinty » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:24 pm

Right. So if you get offended, look flustered, frightened or defensive, it's a sign of guilt. Even though those things are natural responses to being yanked aside and questioned.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

User avatar
squinty
* * * * *
Posts: 5753
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by squinty » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:25 pm

I wonder what would happen if a passenger calmly and politely said "I don't want to discuss my personal business in depth with strangers, sir."
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

User avatar
squinty
* * * * *
Posts: 5753
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by squinty » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:26 pm

basm wrote:I believe the TSA is hiring. If you get the job, it's extra strokes for ZS'ers right? :D
For you, baby? Three strokes.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

User avatar
s.leinicke
* *
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Davenport, IA

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by s.leinicke » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:53 am

Dogan wrote:
s.leinicke wrote:If I ever had to go through this security I'd just show up to the airport in a long trench coat naked underneath. Send the Trench coat through the scanner and walk through the metal detector. Screw em they can't give me public indecency they want to know that I'm not carrying anything.
*WARNING KLAXONS*
I have a long black trenchcoat.

I am flying at the end of the month.

I am comfortable with my body.

<.<
>.>
O.O

Hmmmm.... Naked save for leather G string, cowboy boots and hat... Fuck, life's too short to be taken seriously. I may try this.
Do it! XD You may want to put a pair of sweats in your carry on to change on the plane.

Jenny
* *
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: So far I do not have any. But I will keep you posted as soon as I do.
Location: A small town in AR ,US

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by Jenny » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:34 pm

I went to The Grand Canyon. Yeah I had to go through that scanner when I went from Little Rock To Phoenix. Then I had to go through the scanner again when I went back from Phoenix to Little Rock. I had fun at The Grand Canyon so I cannot complain too much. I took a lot of pictures. Too bad there were not any zombies there. :lol:

User avatar
squinty
* * * * *
Posts: 5753
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by squinty » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:22 pm

s.leinicke wrote:
Dogan wrote:
s.leinicke wrote:If I ever had to go through this security I'd just show up to the airport in a long trench coat naked underneath. Send the Trench coat through the scanner and walk through the metal detector. Screw em they can't give me public indecency they want to know that I'm not carrying anything.
*WARNING KLAXONS*
I have a long black trenchcoat.

I am flying at the end of the month.

I am comfortable with my body.

<.<
>.>
O.O

Hmmmm.... Naked save for leather G string, cowboy boots and hat... Fuck, life's too short to be taken seriously. I may try this.
They'd still make you take the boots off.
Do it! XD You may want to put a pair of sweats in your carry on to change on the plane.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

User avatar
squinty
* * * * *
Posts: 5753
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by squinty » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 pm

Dogan wrote:
LyraJean wrote:
Rev wrote:Someone mentioned something about $14 an hour? I'd be interested in taking their job.
Me too.
Me three.
Not me. It's beneath my dignity - and I thought I had no shame.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

madver
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:20 am

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by madver » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:09 am

This is just absurd. It is one thing to be sure that people are clean with what they bring and declare but it is another when they have to let people go through "naked" scanners. Though if all people will be up for it, and only a few and security personnels at that, will get to view, then we must all oblige.

I reckon that it will only be a matter of time before this type of thing best stopped.

User avatar
SwampRat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(the remake), any of the resident evil films, 28 days later, armies of darkness, dead snow... ah hell it's like pickin a favorite child...
Location: Florida/Texas/NewYork

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by SwampRat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:25 pm

I fly too much for work. I've been through one of the scanners twice. Yesterday because I was half asleep and walked into the wrong line. :?

What I dislike most about them is that they make me part from my wallet. I hate flying. The bar is too damn expensive, the security is a violation of, well every fucking thing... any way, I mostly had a comment on the questioning. I've noticed at certain times at certain airports they have an extra guy that strikes up a convo with you in the security line. I got wise to this pretty fast and start a line of conversation with them before they can get a word out. It entertains me. Also, I lie to them. I feel it is my right to lie to any one whom prys into my personal business. The best improvement to airline security was a locking cockpit door. They could save so much money by doing away with the illusion of security and putting a guy with a shotgun loaded with non lethal ammo in a seat at the front of the plane facing passengers. That would actually make you safer and probably cost less or the same. I'd love to see some asshat with a box cutter get shot in the face with a tazer round....
Upon reading one of my posts you should assume that before I post I reread my posts twice and then often again after I post to check and recheck for spelling and grammatical errors. And I still miss most of them because, as it turns out, when you are home-schooled, you are only as smart as your mom.

User avatar
fourway
* *
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'd have to go with Return.
It's pre-cgi, it's funny, the zombies are fast and they talk. Remember the half a corpse on the embalmer's table explaining why zombies eat brains?
Location: New York's Mid Hudson Valley

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by fourway » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:28 pm

SwampRat wrote:I fly too much for work. I've been through one of the scanners twice. Yesterday because I was half asleep and walked into the wrong line. :?

What I dislike most about them is that they make me part from my wallet. I hate flying. The bar is too damn expensive, the security is a violation of, well every fucking thing... any way, I mostly had a comment on the questioning. I've noticed at certain times at certain airports they have an extra guy that strikes up a convo with you in the security line. I got wise to this pretty fast and start a line of conversation with them before they can get a word out. It entertains me. Also, I lie to them. I feel it is my right to lie to any one whom prys into my personal business. The best improvement to airline security was a locking cockpit door. They could save so much money by doing away with the illusion of security and putting a guy with a shotgun loaded with non lethal ammo in a seat at the front of the plane facing passengers. That would actually make you safer and probably cost less or the same. I'd love to see some asshat with a box cutter get shot in the face with a tazer round....
Why non-lethal? Glasers ought to do.
Shumway's Law: Bleeding will always stop on its own eventually

User avatar
duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by duodecima » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:47 pm

[quote="madver"]... then we must all oblige.[\quote]
Actually, no, you can just opt out, in which case you get a pat down. I routinely do this, for reasons which may or may not be rational. And perhaps I look unfriendly, or they're mad, no one ever talks to me...
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

User avatar
SwampRat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(the remake), any of the resident evil films, 28 days later, armies of darkness, dead snow... ah hell it's like pickin a favorite child...
Location: Florida/Texas/NewYork

Re: TSA new "naked" airport scanners, anybody been through t

Post by SwampRat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:35 pm

fourway wrote:
SwampRat wrote:I fly too much for work. I've been through one of the scanners twice. Yesterday because I was half asleep and walked into the wrong line. :?

What I dislike most about them is that they make me part from my wallet. I hate flying. The bar is too damn expensive, the security is a violation of, well every fucking thing... any way, I mostly had a comment on the questioning. I've noticed at certain times at certain airports they have an extra guy that strikes up a convo with you in the security line. I got wise to this pretty fast and start a line of conversation with them before they can get a word out. It entertains me. Also, I lie to them. I feel it is my right to lie to any one whom prys into my personal business. The best improvement to airline security was a locking cockpit door. They could save so much money by doing away with the illusion of security and putting a guy with a shotgun loaded with non lethal ammo in a seat at the front of the plane facing passengers. That would actually make you safer and probably cost less or the same. I'd love to see some asshat with a box cutter get shot in the face with a tazer round....
Why non-lethal? Glasers ought to do.
So as they don't poke holes in the plane.
Upon reading one of my posts you should assume that before I post I reread my posts twice and then often again after I post to check and recheck for spelling and grammatical errors. And I still miss most of them because, as it turns out, when you are home-schooled, you are only as smart as your mom.

Post Reply

Return to “Travel”