Coast-2-coast

Topics on travel. Heading out of the country or just out of state? Stop by here to share advice or post questions.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mattnall

Coast-2-coast

Post by mattnall » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:14 am

Well, I finally managed to get a summer off and the wife and I have decided to visit many of our friends Stateside.

So at the start of August we'll be landing in MIA, hanging around for a few days then off to New Orleans, back to Atlanta and Knoxville, heading over to SanFransisco and finally spending the last week or so in PHX.

I'm keenly interested in the Civil War and as we'll be spending a few days travelling in the Ga/Tn area any advice on great Civil War sites to visit would be appreciated. I've already steered the route towards Shiloh and Bowling Green without the wife figuring it out ("Mammoth Cave NP is a must-see, my dear, you'll love it") but one or two more might be fitted in if I can wing it.

It's a long-way-round trip but so many of our friends have moved over the years and they haven't settled in a nice straight line across the country. But I've always wanted to do a road trip coast to coast and this year we have a big of extra vacation time so this is it.

TIA
Matt

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Re: Coast-2-coast

Post by LowKey » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:35 pm

Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, right on your way between Hotlanta and Knoxville.
Tell the wife you want to see the Aquarium in Chattanooga.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Delsaw

Post by Delsaw » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:54 pm

I'd check out Nashville if that was possible. It would be an easy sale for non-history folks. Lots to see and do. Just moved from there a few months ago, so if you need any tips, just PM me. There are also plenty of Civil War history there and in the outlying areas.

If you are going to New Orleans, stop by Montgomery, AL. Lots of Civil War and Civil Rights history there. The little White House of the CSA is there. The downtown area has undergone a big renovation, so plenty to see and do for a day or two. Its my hometown, so happy to provide tips if you decide to go.

Selma. Only about 45 mins away from Montgomery. One of the CSA's biggest cannon foundries was located there. Also good Civil Rights museum.

Mobile. Then keep heading south and stay in Mobile, Alabama. 'Damn the torpedoes' quote came from the Battle of Mobile. Plus Mardi Gras started here, for the US. While you are there, pop over across the bay to Fairhope, cool little art town. Plenty of great seafood. If you have time, go to Gulf Shores and hit up the beaches.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:08 pm

If you can swing it Charleston, SC has the most Civil War era sites that are active in the South. Especially nice if you are interested in the naval battles. There are also scenes and sites from several many other wars including a Vietnam era Air Craft Carrier and submarine, the worlds first combat submarine, ADA sites from WWI/ II, the remains of a Revolutionary War Fort, Fort Sumter and several others. You could actually spend a couple of days doing nothing but visiting militaria and battlefields. The Citadel is also located there. The city itself is fairly nice too

If you are not going that way Nashville, Atlanta, Mobile, Chattanooga are all nice places to visit. The music scene is Nashville is very good. Montgomery is kind of a dump.

There is plenty to do and see in San Antonio and then nothing until you get to the West Coast unless you stop in Vegas.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:05 pm

If you are in the Vicksburg area the siege of Vicksburg and those battlefields are worth seeing.

Delsaw

Post by Delsaw » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:18 am

Hey Stercutus, as someone from Montgomery, I'd normally agree that it isn't the coolest place. But there are plenty of dumpy parts still. Were you station at Maxwell?

Amazingly enough, the last couple years things have really turned around (at least for a small Southern city). The Old Cloverdale neighborhood and Downtown have a lot (in relative terms) of bars and restaurants (no real music scene) so for a night or two, it would be pretty good. As I type this, my younger self cant believe I'm actually recommending it. I fled town as soon as I could, though go back often to visit family. Wouldn't go out of my way, unless you really wanted to see some of the history.

Slightly off topic, but a good read (and a fun activity) if you do go to Montgomery. Good article on on the local baseball team. http://bittersoutherner.com/the-right-biscuit-recipe

mattnall

Post by mattnall » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks for the advice, I'm off to look up the places on the map and prepare a cover story for the wife before she gets back from work.

Wish me luck.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Delsaw wrote:Hey Stercutus, as someone from Montgomery, I'd normally agree that it isn't the coolest place. But there are plenty of dumpy parts still. Were you station at Maxwell?

Amazingly enough, the last couple years things have really turned around (at least for a small Southern city). The Old Cloverdale neighborhood and Downtown have a lot (in relative terms) of bars and restaurants (no real music scene) so for a night or two, it would be pretty good. As I type this, my younger self cant believe I'm actually recommending it. I fled town as soon as I could, though go back often to visit family. Wouldn't go out of my way, unless you really wanted to see some of the history.

Slightly off topic, but a good read (and a fun activity) if you do go to Montgomery. Good article on on the local baseball team. http://bittersoutherner.com/the-right-biscuit-recipe
Nope, I spent a week at there in 2013 for some non-military training. I remember seeing miles of closed down shops and empty businesses. I admit my tour was hardly exhaustive but nothing really sprung out at me as being nice or touristy.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Return to “Travel”