Terrorist attacs in Italy

Topics on travel. Heading out of the country or just out of state? Stop by here to share advice or post questions.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Re: Terrorist attacs in Italy

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 09, 2016 6:03 am

Nope. I don't think it will be any worse or better than anywhere else.

The security presence at the tourist sites in Rome right now is huge and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. That may not always thwart an attack but it will likely reduce it's effectiveness to the point where they will go somewhere else.

A beach attack would be a first. Those are tough to pull off. You are kind of noticeable if you are carrying the machine gun.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

bigred362
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z

Post by bigred362 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:55 am

It has happened and when you think about the condition of the people when at the beach it makes sense. It would also be difficult to have vigilante security especially at a European beach with the type of swim wear typically found there. I have not yet found a way to "carry" in my swim wear, but I'm open to suggestions LOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Sousse_attacks

"the greatest weapon one could posses is the well prepared mind"

-some guy in a green beret
"A smart ass is always better than a dumb ass"

"Nobody is totally useless you can always be a good bad example"

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 09, 2016 1:46 pm

As a foreign tourist there is no legal way to carry a concealed gun on a beach in Italy or anywhere else.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Mon May 09, 2016 6:59 pm

I am not trying to start a flame war but...
When I entered Rome from a Swiss Air flight from Geneva( around 2005) they had two hallways divided by a waist tall partition. On the side I walked through which included mostly British, German, American, and of course Italian passengers we just ambled peacefully through and showed our passports, we were asked business or pleasure and that was it. On the other side sat everyone else . They were moving at a snails pace and a lot were having their belongings or themselves searched. I happened to look up to the open second floor and noticed some rather intimidating men carring MP-5's on each side glaring down.

When I got back to America it was the TSA :roll: what a crack team they are. I remember a story on NPR a while back where they tried to sneak a fake bomb through US security to grade the response and guess what not one was caught.

Point being, I will trust Italian security way more than in the US.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 09, 2016 8:16 pm

I did not see ethnically/ nationally segregated lines, but if your paper work was the least bit off or your bag got a hit you did get put in a longer line. This is within the last six months.

Most of the time the security forces were more polite and more strict about following the rules than in the US. Just about everyone was more professional than any TSA officer I have ever met.

So I wondered at the time HTH did the US get so far behind the Italians on simple airport security operations?

Return to “Travel”