It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:47 am 

Alright folks, I've been trying to get out of LA for a while now, and this Monday I've got an interview for a position in Tacoma. I'm flying up tonight so I can spend the weekend looking around to see if it's the sort of place I'd like to live. Anyone have any suggestions for areas to check out?

Would be looking for something semi rural (if possible), not too bad a drive, and affordable on a low six figure salary. A vague compass direction from Tacoma would even be helpful...

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:21 pm 

I last lived there (Fort Lewis/Lacey) about 10 years ago, so I really don't know prices anymore.

Yelm and Roy are located on the east side of Fort Lewis (aka Joint Base Lewis-McChord.) Roy is the smaller of the two. Downsides include a not insignificant drive to get to a freeway, and the high explosive serenades from the artillery and demolitions impact areas. Plusses include proximity to Stewart's Meats, which is just simply awesome.

Unless you're up off the valley floor, I would avoid the Puyallup River valley (Puyallup and Orting are the two town names I remember.) This area will get inundated by a lahar if Mt Rainier erupts. My best recollection is that Orting would have 8 minutes warning and a 30' wall of mud, Puyallup is about 15 minutes and 20' of mud.

If you're willing to drive a bit further, the Olympia/Lacey area is nice. I lived in Lacey, just off Exit 109 from I-5. I sold my 1600 sq ft, 2+ bedroom house for about $250k in 2010. Lacey has a Cabela's, Home Depot, and WalMart. Olympia is very liberal, and hates everything big box. But downtown is very nice and they've got some great restaurants. Or had, last I was there.

Concealed carry permits are very easy to get in WA. Just go to your local PD, or sheriff if you live outside city limits, fill out a form, get fingerprinted, and pay your fee. As long as you pass the background check, you should have your permit in I think 30 days, no more than 45. Some jurisdictions can be more PITA than others. Seattle and King County are known for taking the max time allowed. Lacey PD was great to deal with.

The Washington Arms Collectors gun shows at the Puyallup Fairgrounds are great. Only catch is you have to be a WAC member to actually buy or sell guns, but you can buy or sell anything else there.

Worst case disaster scenarios for the region are the aforementioned potential for a Rainier eruption (though it's currently classed as sleeping) or a major quake on the Cascadia Subduction Zone. Normal period on the CSZ is 200-500 years, and the last recorded quake was in 1700. Look up the Cascade Region Earthquake Working Group (CREW) for more info on that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:32 pm 

Commutes up here are more often longer because of distance than congestion which makes it a bit more bearable. Coming from LA, I imagine you're used to a lengthy commute. I would suggest looking West and up in the Peninsula. Poulsbo is a really neat place.

YMMV but I like it there,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:45 pm 

My brother lives in Lacey, I visit there yearly, usually for a week at a time. Have been for years. Lacey is a nice area, not too far from Tacoma. Stay aware from Steilacoom, Tillicum, Lakewood, off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:39 am 

Thanks folks, will be checking out Lacey today. What's everyone's thoughts on gig harbor? Falling in love with the area...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:12 pm 

I'd check puyallup, enumclaw, black diamond, I'd stay away from south of Tacoma just because it's ALWAYS a cluster. It's horrible traffic.

Gig harbor is nice but the toll to cross the bridge is a pain in the ass.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:18 pm 

Yeah, wasn't too blown away by Puyallup or Lacey. Bit of a schlep, as the job is in the port area.

Gig harbor was pretty nice, but the toll is a bit of a downer. I mean, only like a hundred a month, but still annoying.

I don't know, got a few other interviews (and I mean, still have a job) if I end up this way, I'll probably focus the search around Gig Harbor. Still too many folks for my liking, and I get the feeling it's growing...

Thanks guys. Interview is tomorrow...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:50 pm 

Gig Harbor is growing, and it's kind of expensive. If you want more rural out in Buckly, enemclaw, black diamond, that area I little more east in the valley area is nice. Also if you're into shooting there's a great open pit in the green water area off FS70. And all the planes above are pretty close to it.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:35 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Lived in Puyallup when I was stationed at McChord... Loved it out there.

We go to Lacey every summer to stay with friends who live on Long Lake. Long term plans are to settle back there in/near Dupont...north side of I-5 opposite Lacey.

Hopefully waterfront if I can stick with my current gig long enough for my stock options to vest... Is it 2019 yet?

:lol:

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:03 am 

DuPont is across 5 from Fort Lewis, not Lacey. Lacey is further south, across the Nisqually River.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:41 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Rog... Just meant opposite side of I-5.

There a few locations on that point/penninsula on the sound that I really like...used to fly over/adjacent to them on our run in from the initial point for our drops on that little DZ on Ft Lewis itself (can't recall the DZ name).

The bird sanctuary there keeps air traffic high too...bonus!

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:21 am 

91Eunozs wrote:
Rog... Just meant opposite side of I-5.

There a few locations on that point/penninsula on the sound that I really like...used to fly over/adjacent to them on our run in from the initial point for our drops on that little DZ on Ft Lewis itself (can't recall the DZ name).

The bird sanctuary there keeps air traffic high too...bonus!

The most used DZ IIRC was Point Salines, just north of the main impact area. Several others in the training areas on the eastern part of post. They used to find a meth lab every month or so out in those woods (the things you learn when you're the Environmental Compliance officer.)

I only went to Steilacoom once, for a buddy's wedding, but I remember it being pretty. Wedding was in a little park on a bluff looking out over the Sound.

The biggest downside to DuPont when I was there (ten years ago) was that it didn't have a grocery store, mostly I think because such a high fraction of the population was military, and just went to the commissary on Ft. Lewis. Unless you're military or retired, that's not an option.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:25 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

That's the one!

Quite a bit in DuPont now... Amazon even built a Fulfillment Center there. Some friends lived in a little development there 15 years ago and that place really grew too...Starbucks and everything! :crazy:

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:12 am 

I seem to recall two Starbucks...I met my future wife at the one opposite the gate to post.