Going to Colorado

Topics on travel. Heading out of the country or just out of state? Stop by here to share advice or post questions.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dohnuts

Going to Colorado

Post by dohnuts » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:41 am

Me and the family are taking a week to go to Colorado next month. Visiting some friends and doing some tourist stuff. Anything in particular to look for while I'm there?

We are also going to look as a possible move, maybe Colorado Springs or thereabouts. Suggestions on neighborhoods?

BadLands_Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead (1968, 1990)

Dawn of The Dead (1978, 2004)

Day of The Dead (1985)

The Dead Next Door (1989)

Re: Going to Colorado

Post by BadLands_Shooter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:23 am

Boulder. Smoke weed errday.
Former Army Infantryman.

-K/N Frame/M&P Lover.

“Hey man, you’re playing some killer music this morning. I have an empty cop car sitting outside my place. It’s been sitting there all night with the light bar flashing”. - Random Radio Caller

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:50 am

If you're looking to the Springs, I would suggest the Garden of the Gods.

Anything in the mountains. There are some beautiful places there.

Not sure where you're traveling from, but there attitude can affect you pretty quickly. Drink lots of water, watch your alcohol intake. Other than that, be safe and enjoy!

Oh, and be prepared for all manner of weather.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. Although Colorado is a legal state for MJ, that's not really a draw for me (but if it's your thing, go for it). If we relocate, it will be because the neighborhoods are nice, with a real sense of community, decent local and state government (with corresponding sensible taxes), and rational cost of living. A great part of it is going to be lifestyle balancing. I can get into the financial aspects of it, but that might bore folks a little bit, so I refrain.

I've heard of Garden of the Gods, lots of recommendations from folks in the area. So that's on the list, for sure. We're traveling from California through Nevada and Utah, making stops going and coming back at various points along the way. Sounds like we should pack for both warm weather and cold, regardless. I've been told that Colorado in August is mild compared to the winter, but having never lived in snow, I should plan accordingly.

BadLands_Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead (1968, 1990)

Dawn of The Dead (1978, 2004)

Day of The Dead (1985)

The Dead Next Door (1989)

Post by BadLands_Shooter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:37 pm

dohnuts wrote:Thanks for the replies. Although Colorado is a legal state for MJ, that's not really a draw for me (but if it's your thing, go for it). If we relocate, it will be because the neighborhoods are nice, with a real sense of community, decent local and state government (with corresponding sensible taxes), and rational cost of living. A great part of it is going to be lifestyle balancing. I can get into the financial aspects of it, but that might bore folks a little bit, so I refrain.

I've heard of Garden of the Gods, lots of recommendations from folks in the area. So that's on the list, for sure. We're traveling from California through Nevada and Utah, making stops going and coming back at various points along the way. Sounds like we should pack for both warm weather and cold, regardless. I've been told that Colorado in August is mild compared to the winter, but having never lived in snow, I should plan accordingly.

Sounds like you'll be taking I-70 east. Beautiful drive.

Sounds like Colorado Springs or even Ft. Collins would be the best place for you folks. :wink:
Former Army Infantryman.

-K/N Frame/M&P Lover.

“Hey man, you’re playing some killer music this morning. I have an empty cop car sitting outside my place. It’s been sitting there all night with the light bar flashing”. - Random Radio Caller

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:30 pm

If you have time, drive to different places in the mountains. I highly recommend Durango and Steamboat Springs. Beautiful, beautiful mountain areas.

People rag on the Denver area, but I lived in Boulder and Thornton for over 15 years and the metro area has something to offer everyone. :)
Last edited by Beowolf on Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
ZS Wiki

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:43 pm

I appreciate the advice. I'm posting to other forums as well but thought I'd also post here just in case, given I might get a slightly different point of view.

I'm looking forward to that drive, despite it being a pretty long haul. Several friends have done it and they all mentioned that it might take longer than expected as we'll be tempted to stop and take in the sights.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Be safe. Oh, and bring sunscreen if you plan on being outside much.
-
ZS Wiki

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:26 am

In order of appearance along I-70: Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs hot springs, Glenwood Canyon, Hanging lake, Buffalo Bill's grave, If you take highway 24 you can go past a couple more hot springs spa and resorts, Santa's North Pole in Chipeta Park, Pike's Peak, Cave of the Winds, Garden of the Gods.

If you are coming from the South of the State: Ouray, Million Dollar Highway (Be careful), Sand Dunes National Park, Black Canyon, Continental Divide.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:47 pm

Manitou Springs is right by Colorado Springs - I'd consider that. A mountain town with excellent schools, more electic people, much more of a community feel than Colorado Springs.

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:55 am

Thanks so much for all the tips, guys. We're really looking forward to the trip, and I'm just inundated with all this info! In a good way, of course. I'd never heard of Manitou Springs but it looks nice. Will do more research and report back.

Return to “Travel”