It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traveling Northward!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:21 am 

This is my first time to the forums, so if i mess somthing up, please tell me politely. Thanks! So i am considering heading north in a zombie attack. The Yukon, Northwest Territories, Alaska, ETC. My travel options are limited to a Grand Cherroke, a 3-wheeler, and some trucks. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Merci! (Yes i do speak french)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Traveling Northward!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:47 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Grand Cherokee... good choice. 4.0L I-6?

But good luck trying to get north without any specific location. Probably 50% of the people will go north. Have fun battling gridlock the whole way with its less stable roadways and failing infrastructure. Not to mention legalities and hassles of crossing the border. Ever been up north in the winter? You will freeze your little rear end off.

If you do decide to go north, remember to bring flannel and a beaver hat, that way you are camouflaged.

Edit: to prove my point, imagine thousands trying to drive this road up north... yeah, no detours, no pitstops, no ice cream stands, no truck stop lot lizards, no choke and pukes, no radio stations... one way in and out, amigo: THE ALASKA HIGHWAY

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:33 am 

4.0 L. I know the roads will be jammed, thats where either the 4WD or the extra bike in the trunk will come in handy. All i know about where i'm going is i'm headed for the Yukon. Sorry, Northwest Territories.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:44 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Check out the show "Offroad Warriors" on either History or Discovery (one of those cheesey reality shows). Its kinda dramatic like all of those shows, but entertaining enough and shows how hard it is to wheel up north. Or look up a Modern Marvels episode on the Alaskan Highway to see how tough it will be to cut your own path. You gotta battle the thick forests (virgin forests that are hard enough to walk through, let alone bring a vehicle through), elements, permafrost, wildlife, etc. There are no trails that already won't be full if a massive migration took place.

Chances of you ever having to actually "bug out" up there are slim, so it probably doesn't matter... but I'm still gonna attempt to shoot down your idea. Besides, if something catastrophic did occur, chances of you making it that far in front of anyone else is nearly impossible... people and their cars gotta end up somewhere, and that would be clogging the highways everywhere, because cars don't magically disappear.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:36 am 

Read the signs and leave before anyone else. That solves the traffic problems.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:10 am 

Wait...did you say you have a 3 Wheeler. Cool, but I thought they stopped making 3 wheeler years ago because of safety concerns. I haven't seen one in over a decade. Regardless, we use to have loads fun up in the Pocono Mountains with my friend's Honda ATC 3 wheeler back in the 80's. Good times, good times.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:45 pm 

Mikeyboy wrote:
Wait...did you say you have a 3 Wheeler. Cool, but I thought they stopped making 3 wheeler years ago because of safety concerns. I haven't seen one in over a decade. Regardless, we use to have loads fun up in the Pocono Mountains with my friend's Honda ATC 3 wheeler back in the 80's. Good times, good times.

Tons of 3 wheelers still on the road, my buddy builds drift and race trikes and they are a blast.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:16 pm 

Yup, i have access to 2 different 3-wheelers. One is a 110 cc and the other a 250 cc. The 110 has very little cargo space, but it doesen't need a battery to start. The 250 has a lot of cargo space, but the starter is unreliable and the kick start... well, just forget about that. They are quite fun to ride around, especially if you can ride on 2 wheels. :mrgreen: However, they are easy to tip over.