Lincoln, NE vs Reno, NV

Topics on travel. Heading out of the country or just out of state? Stop by here to share advice or post questions.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

aikorob

Lincoln, NE vs Reno, NV

Post by aikorob » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:44 pm

Firm that the MRS. works for is making expansion plans 1st/2nd quarter of next year. New offices in Reno and Lincoln.
Like for the folks who have lived in either to give the good and bad points for each city.
2A friendliness, quality of life, amenities, ease/tolerance of prepping---any insights you care to share.
I have 30 years in Industrial Maintenance/Automation, so I think I can find something in either place.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

woodsghost

Re: Lincoln, NE vs Reno, NV

Post by woodsghost » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:36 pm

I got one of my degrees in Lincoln. I can say it is a solid place. Never been to NV.

Lincoln is protected from flooding. Tornadoes tend to give it a miss, but they have hit the surrounding towns a number of times. I think 3 were hit this last summer. I might be off.

There are a fair number of camping areas and some nice lakes for fishing. They pride themselves on their bike trails, which even go to different towns. So if a car bug out is not possible, bike and walking is very easy.

This may sound odd, but I"m not fond of Lincoln drivers in the snow. I grew up farther north and feel Lincoln drivers are a bit amature when snow first falls, and a little while afterwards.

There is not a lot of what I would call "wilderness" around Lincoln, but some folks from Bushcraft USA have found neat areas to do their thing. Also, my definition of "wilderness" is the wilds of Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Kinda tough to match that. There are great bugout locations in Iowa and Missuri. You drive any direction for 100 miles east and you are golden. Driving 500 miles North or West yields great results as well. Just north of the Sand Hills region is nice. There is a huge forest in the NW part of Nebraska. I think roughly 800 miles west is Colorado. I've never been south of Indian Caves park, but that is a real nice place for doing mock bugouts and camping with the family. That is about 2 hours south east of Lincoln. They have a lot of nice trails and real wilderness there.

The state is VERY friendly to firearms. Lincoln has some good gun dealers and there are a few class III dealers in the area if you are interested and if these things float your boat.

Overall, Lincoln has a low unemployment rate and pretty decent people. I met a ton of preppers there. Some are straight up prepppers, some are simply prudent individuals. Some will let you know right away, some you have to know and watch them carefully for a few years before you pick up the signs. Oh, and I am not LDS or anything. I am just an average joe and I still picked up on a lot. I'll not go into much detail, but I'll throw out a prime networking location below.

There is one company in the area which is getting off the ground and sells prepping supplies. They are trying to put on seminars and such. When they have themselves a little more together I'll be very excited. I know some of the folks and they are really good people.

A real networking opportunity is 88 Tactical. They are about an hour, hour and a half from Lincoln. I have done firearms training there and I have done some survival stuff there. They are pretty open with promoting prepping. They have some good medical training. I"m about to sample some of it in a few weekends. I know their survival instructor and while I doubt he could tell you my name, he would recognize my face. He is top notch. Seriously. His assistants are pretty good too. He is Terry Barney, or IA Woodsman on Youtube and BCUSA.

I think 88 Tactical has good firearms training. I know for a fact they really shine in their survival training. If you get to know the instructors and get to know your classmates, you will come away with some solid contacts for prepping groups.

The Iowa chapter of BCUSA is crazy active. They have a lot of people from Nebraska come. The Nebraska chapter of BCUSA is getting more active and more social. By no means is everyone at a BCUSA meet a prepper, but it pays to pay attention and get to know those folks. Like minded people find each other, and you always learn cool stuff at those meets.

But to be clear, I have found a lot of preppers even outside the social networks of BCUSA and 88 Tactical. You just have to keep your ear to the ground, share your interests and hobbies, and people come out of the woodwork.

EDIT: I gathered all this in 4 years. If you pay attention, there is a strong community lurking under the surface. Well, a lot of clusters of community.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Myana
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow

Post by Myana » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:53 pm

I have only passed through Reno, but I have a couple friends who grew up there. I've dropped them a note with your question and I'll pass on what they have to say.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:03 pm

I'm more of a city guy. I've been through Reno and stayed in Reno (short term) on occasion.

I won't speak to things I don't know a bunch about, so this will be brief. If you're used to living in a city, Reno is pretty much terrible. The gambling there is sad. The nightlife is depressing. If you don't care for city life the negatives I mentioned shouldn't mean much to you.

It's super close to the Lake Tahoe area. This area is amazing if you like winter activities like skiiing (this area hosted the Winter Olympics fairly recently). It's also amazing if you like summer activities involving things like rivers and lakes. The area has a ton of parks and such. If the outdoors is your thing, the Reno area is pretty awesome.

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:27 pm

Ya, Reno has quite bit of outdoor activities available. Lake Tahoe is obviously a big one (and all seasons) but there also quite a few other areas locally and to the north. NV has no state income taxes. Reno recently landed some huge contracts to have Tesla manufacture their batteries there. The local economy will likely go wild. San Francisco is 3-4 hours away if your up for a weekend getaway. Napa and Sonoma are even closer if that's your bag. If your into guns pretty much anything goes. Great hunting. If you have any specific questions post'em. I live in LV but have been to Reno tons of times and am evaluating moving there in a year or so (I'm a bit more alpine than LV has to offer).
Last edited by spanningtree on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:28 pm

Duplicate

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:12 pm

RENO, NV | Crime Rates
RENO is a Region located in NV (Washoe County), and has a population of 214,197. This region is policed by RENO POLICE DEPARTMENT. Below are its crime rates and policing statistics according to the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports (UCR). For more specific crime statistics (NIBRS) for many US cities & counties, see Offense Statistics.
See RENO stats for: 2007 | 2009 | 2011
Crime Rates
Crime RENO (per 100,000) Nation-wide (per 100,000)
Crime Rate (Overall) 7,052.85 4,506.21
Murder Rate 7.94 5.70
Robbery Rate 240.90 148.30
Rape Rate 44.35 30.60
Assault Rate 2,362.78 644.08
Burglary Rate 856.69 726.10
Forced Entry Rate 384.23 417.29
Larceny Rate 3,039.73 2,185.40
Auto Theft Rate 500.47 362.07

Policing Statistics
RENO Nation-Wide
Overall Clearance Rate 67.14% 28.23%
Homicide Clearance Rate 163.73% 56.15%
Assault Clearance Rate 112.79% 52.13%

Rape Clearance Rate 40.59% 38.34%
Robbery Clearance Rate 68.08% 23.18%
Burglary Clearance Rate 20.78% 11.77%
Larceny Clearance Rate 50.33% 17.45%
Auto Theft Clearance Rate 33.37% 11.95%
Sex Offenders
RENO Nation-Wide
Total Sex Offenders 471 728,400
Sex Offenders Per Capita 219.89 238.8
Nevada Sex Offender Registry http://www.nvsexoffenders.gov/...
Data estimated from arrests & clearances from a sample from the Uniform Crime Reports, Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Department of Justice. Washington, D.C. 2007. If missing data exist, these figures will tend to underestimate the true figures.

AND

Lincoln, NE | Crime Rates
Lincoln is a Region located in NE (Lancaster County), and has a population of 243,243. This region is policed by LINCOLN POLICE DEPARTMENT. Below are its crime rates and policing statistics according to the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports (UCR). For more specific crime statistics (NIBRS) for many US cities & counties, see Offense Statistics.
See Lincoln stats for: 2007 | 2009 | 2011
Crime Rates
Crime Lincoln (per 100,000) Nation-wide (per 100,000)
Crime Rate (Overall) 6,834.32 4,506.21
Murder Rate 2.47 5.70
Robbery Rate 71.12 148.30
Rape Rate 46.46 30.60
Assault Rate 1,881.66 644.08
Burglary Rate 782.76 726.10
Forced Entry Rate 457.57 417.29
Larceny Rate 3,875.96 2,185.40
Auto Theft Rate 173.90 362.07

Policing Statistics
Lincoln Nation-Wide
Overall Clearance Rate 81.85% 28.23%
Homicide Clearance Rate 242.91% 56.15%
Assault Clearance Rate 157.41% 52.13%

Rape Clearance Rate 64.57% 38.34%
Robbery Clearance Rate 97.02% 23.18%
Burglary Clearance Rate 30.41% 11.77%
Larceny Clearance Rate 55.47% 17.45%
Auto Theft Clearance Rate 79.93% 11.95%
Sex Offenders
LINCOLN Nation-Wide
Total Sex Offenders 703 728,400
Sex Offenders Per Capita 289.01 238.8
Nebraska Sex Offender Registry http://www.nsp.state.ne.us/sor/...
Data estimated from arrests & clearances from a sample from the Uniform Crime Reports, Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Department of Justice. Washington, D.C. 2007. If missing data exist, these figures will tend to underestimate the true figures.

*Clearance rates over 100% are a strong indicator that fleeing felons go to this location to hide....

Both cities have 'gang problems". Reno has more of a problem than Lincoln, even tho both cities are nearly the same size. I suspect Reno being closer to California and something of a gambling mecca (ha ha) may contribute to that problem.
Outdoor activity and access to 'the Arts" are a good way to rate a potential city. Understanding if you will live long enough to enjoy the amenities is also important. Before you rent (in ANY city) check with the local PD for the crime stats in the neighborhood and see of there are any 'frequent flyers' in that specific neighborhood - the real estate agent or rental agent will not tell you about this stuff...

Congrats on the upcoming move, hope you enjoy the experience. Good luck!

My only suggestion is that if you can swing it - a visit to both cites can provide a much better feel than real estate photos or newspaper clips....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Return to “Travel”