It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traveling to Idaho
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:58 pm 

Hey everyone. I have a wedding I will be going to the first week of September in Midvale, Idaho. I usually only travel as far as the west coast, and have never been in that part of the country before. I will only be there for about a week, but I would like to know of things to do in the area, and stuff I should definitely not miss.

Also things like weather, I'm a Hawaii guy after all, I don't have seasonal clothing.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Traveling to Idaho
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:48 pm 

Friend of mine got married in the church in Midvale some years back. I'm pretty sure it's the only church in town, because if you blink you'll drive straight through town without knowing it...

Depends on what you're into, how far you're willing to drive, and what kind of vehicle you'll be bringing, but there are some nice places to visit nearby there. September is a little past the warm season, it is going to be OK for a native like myself, but those accustomed to more tropical climes might say it's getting cold already.

- Payette Lake/McCall/Ponderosa State Park are nearby. Very pretty scenery and all, and it's a semi-resort town so there are lots of amenities.
- If you've got a dirt-road capable vehicle and are willing to do an overnight trip, one of my favorite spots is Deadwood Reservoir. It's ~1.5 hour drive off-pavement from any approach, plus a few hours from Midvale. In September I'd expect the road would still be clear, but it snows in early and stays late up there. Remoteness tends to keep the less-determined away, but it is a fantastic place for all kinds of outdoors stuff.
- Further away, but less-intense driving-wise would be Bonneville Hot Springs, just 1/4 mile hike from Bonneville Campground near Lowman, ID. Would be a long day-trip, but it is one of my favorite soaking spots of all the hot springs I've been to (there is a lot of geothermal activity in ID).

Colin Wilson wrote:
There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:06 pm 

If I'm not mistaken, she is getting married on her family's farm. I didn't realize how small the town was until I looks at it online.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:23 pm 

I was going to just post "I'm sorry" but it looks like you just found out yourself. hahaha

There isn't a whole lot to do in that area so I'll just move onto weather, dress warm have a sweater maybe a light jacket for the envenings. This part normally has some pretty nice Indian summers so it'll be warm for the natives but it may not be up to your liking. Nights will get a little chilly that's why you have the sweater and a light jacket.

If you're looking for something to do go on a day hike or an overnighter, it's beautiful country there and lots of wilderness. So I'd say get out and enjoy it.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...