Questions about moving to Greenville, NC area

Topics on travel. Heading out of the country or just out of state? Stop by here to share advice or post questions.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ansgar

Questions about moving to Greenville, NC area

Post by Ansgar » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:39 am

The wife and her mother and I will all be moving to the Greenville, NC area sometime this summer for a 2 year stay while I do my master's degree, after which I hope to go to the Triangle to do my PhD. My questions for those of you from the area:
Is the crime really as bad as people claim?
How is the job market in the area?
What parts of the area should I gravitate either towards or away from when looking for a new place to live?(medical district, Ayden, Farmville, etc.)
Quality barbeque joints?(wifey's family is from Fayetteville and got me spoiled on that vinegared pulled pork)

As always, thank you for your time,
Ansgar

carolinafan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, Zombieland

Re: Questions about moving to Greenville, NC area

Post by carolinafan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:02 am

I'm from Greenville originally, and I really like the town. I haven't lived there in several years, and from what I've heard crime has gotten kind of bad in certain areas but overall I don't think it's too bad. Downtown is an area I might stay away from most of the time. With the bypass being all done, living in a place like Farmville isn't as far away as it used to be, and Greenville is expanding all the time. There are tons of apartments if that's what you might be looking for, and the housing market isn't too bad from what I know of. The job market isn't terrible, at least according to what my dad has told me. As far as BBQ joints, Parker's is pretty good, and there are a couple of locations in town. B's is where you want to go though. Good luck to you, and if there's any more questions I'll try to find out for you!

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

Return to “Travel”