It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:18 pm 

Hey folks,

I'm considering relocating to South Carolina, specifically to work in the Rock Hill area.

I'd love input from SC ZS'ers as to the area, places to avoid, etc. I haven't visited the city yet, but I'd like to live in a more rural area. I wouldn't mind a 30 minute commute into the city, as I'd rather have some privacy (LEO). What options are there in the area to live near like minded, "preppers" etc.?

I'd be looking to rent a place for a year while I scope out a small farm or decent house plus land to purchase. Any ideas? I'd have a budget about 150k if I decide to stay in state. How much am I looking at rent wise for a decent condo in the meantime? I'm used to $1100 now.

I'm just starting to research this. Does SC have state income tax? I'm a native Floridian, and I shiver when it hits low 50s. This will be my first time dealing with snow and seasons. How is the snowfall, etc. in this area?

What else should I know?

Thanks,

Ten Eight

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:56 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Rock Hill is SUPEr close to us here in Charlotte(I live OUTSIDE the city), there are plenty of wide open spaces in the area 10-8, I believe you would love it here, its 3 hours to the beach, 2 hours to the mountains, and OMFG Nichols Store in Rock Hill is one of the BEST gun shops I have been in! :awesome:

DarkGhost's Go Bag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:55 pm 

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. How bad does the winter get?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:46 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

VERY mild, hardly ever snows, and when it does it melts by the next morning. We had a super mild winter, I never even used a coat, just a zip up hoodie was all I need all winter.

DarkGhost's Go Bag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:09 pm 

Hey there. We relocated from Charlotte to Rock hill back in '08 and love it. For us it's been a great place to raise a family. There are some rough areas, pretty much like everywhere. I have a LEO in my community. Not sure if he's into prepping but he's a great neighbor. The drive into Charlotte has gotten worse but still not bad. We like the weather. I'm from Texas so a change in the seasons to me is awesome. I do wear a jacket a lot because my bloods thin. The only thing that really sucks is the allergies that affect me a couple of times a year. Some people I know have to get shots, I usually just take a Benadryl. There are certainly some rent options in the area. A nice apartment complex that has quite a few officers that live there would be Forest Oaks apartments. Not sure on the condos. For housing, you can find some nice offerings around 170 that I've noticed in our area. You can go towards York, to the south of Rock Hill or to the East around Dave Lyle. They are building in several areas. SC does have income tax. Property tax on vehicles is higher than other states I've lived in but on housing it's lower. Not much snow, we had 2 days this winter and that usually melts within 2 days. Hope that helps.

Oh and Nichols and The Sportsman are both great places to shop for guns, bows, fishing etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:18 am 

Thanks all!!!!

I'm glad that the winter isn't too bad. Not diggin' state income tax though.

Paperwork goes out this week.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:18 am 

From Charleston, but one thing you need to be aware of in SC if you are allergic to pollen is "Yellow season" I assume they get that up in Rock Hill as well...

raptor wrote:
...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:
... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

True, pollen here is aweful in the spring.

I didn't have allergies until I got here. It didn't effect me for years, then blammo.
Anyway, Rockhill is a very nice area. I've considered moving there more than a few times but it's just too far from work. I'm definitely retiring somewhere away from Columbia. Columbia isn't that bad but there are somethings that are mersh. Lots of stuff to do in Rockhill, smack dab inbetween Columbia and Charlotte.

Rockhill is a great area but it's got all the problems any other area does. Drugs, gangs, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:42 am 

As far as renting goes,I personally would just go with renting a house. A decent 3 bedroom on the outskirts of the city can be had for 800 to 900 with a decent yard for gardening and such.