Backpacking Denali

Topics on travel. Heading out of the country or just out of state? Stop by here to share advice or post questions.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tevo

Backpacking Denali

Post by Tevo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 am

The wife and I are planning a Denali trip this summer and would like to do a 5-8 day trip in the Denali backcountry. I understand you can't reserve permits in advance so you should come prepared with alternate itineraries. Does anyone have any experience here? Any suggestions as to which units are best and/or easier to get permits for but still have amazing scenery? We're not looking for any technical mountaineering, so the upper ranges are probably a no go. Otherwise, we're pretty open.

TacAir

Re: Backpacking Denali

Post by TacAir » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:11 am

If you are unable to get a permit, hiking the Resurrection trail on the Kenai is a very popular route and is easy to access trailheads, but offers some pretty scenery.

http://www.backpacker.com/september_199 ... ations/801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Tevo

Post by Tevo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:52 am

TacAir wrote:If you are unable to get a permit, hiking the Resurrection trail on the Kenai is a very popular route and is easy to access trailheads, but offers some pretty scenery.

http://www.backpacker.com/september_199 ... ations/801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That looks like an awesome trip, thanks! Do you know if it is generally overrun with hikers in the summer?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:57 am

I must be slightly dyslexic because I keep reading your topic title and thinking you're in denial about backpacking.

No advice, other than, as you know, that's bear country. And that anywhere you go, the scenery is going to be absolutely spectacular.

Trip report (with pics) is expected. :)

Return to “Travel”