Purchasing Spices online

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Daithi

Purchasing Spices online

Post by Daithi » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:43 pm

I just wanted to mention a website that my whole family likes.
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html
They are an online spice store. Its pretty simple but there are a few reasons I really like buying spices online.
1) Their spices are likely to be quite a bit fresher than any grocery store and possibly fresher than boutique spice stores, because of volume. They ship and process more spices and have less sitting on the shelf for who knows how long. However as spenzys points out, some spices like pepper are only harvested once a year, so no need to throwout your spices more frequently than that.
2) Price. You can purchase spices in glass jars, or in plastic baggies and they are quite inexpensive. Once you have a spice collection and the jars for it, you can buy their inexpensive baggies for refilling.

I would also imagine their quality is better than the average supermarket spice. But I am not too picky.

Some gratuitous pictures:

You can see the bags of spices in this pic:

Anyway I just thought you guys might be interested, I am sure many of you already order spices online.
P.S. Sign up for their catalog, its beautiful and has some amazing recipes.

Coldhaven
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead 1 & 2, Army of Darkness; Resident Evil 1, 2, & 3; Shaun of the Dead; Thriller, 28 Days Later

Re: Purchasing Spices online

Post by Coldhaven » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:45 pm

That would be a great place to buy those things. I would look into it more if it weren't for the fact that one of my cabinets is filled with herbs and spices. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

*Edit - Fixed my goobered up grammar.

Naked Snake: Real heroes are never made public.
Major Zero: Not in our line of work anyway.

MJS8725
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead.

Post by MJS8725 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:09 pm

I love Penzey's. My Mom has been using them for years. Top shelf stuff. She gave NevadaMom and I a set of their spices as a house warming gift. Yes the quality is MUCH better than that of your run of the mill grocery, IMHO.
Evil unchecked grows, evil tolerated poisons the entire system.- Jawaharlal Nehru

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:10 am

I use AtlanticSpice.com to get my spices in bulk (what I don't grow). They give you a wholesale discount for certain amounts. They come in sealed bags, but they also have jars and larger plastic jugs available. They have baking products as well. If you live on the other side of the country, try their sister company PacificSpice. I've done business with them for many years and never been disappointed.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:06 am

thanks for the recommendations. :)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

razi

Post by razi » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:54 am

There's a Penzey's right down the road from me (on Manchester in Maplewood, for the St. Louisians). Holy crap, that place has all the best stuff. The Spanish Smoked Paprika is amazing.

Polar_Bear
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend - I like to find faults with it and fix them plus fast zombies rule.
I tend not to rember zombie film names, but like them when I watch them

Post by Polar_Bear » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Does anybody know if these shops deliver to the uk as it would be great to flavour all the balnd health food I'm soon going to be eating at uni

MJS8725
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead.

Post by MJS8725 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:00 pm

Polar_Bear wrote:Does anybody know if these shops deliver to the uk as it would be great to flavour all the balnd health food I'm soon going to be eating at uni

They sure do. International Shipping Options,. Enjoy. :D
Evil unchecked grows, evil tolerated poisons the entire system.- Jawaharlal Nehru

Polar_Bear
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend - I like to find faults with it and fix them plus fast zombies rule.
I tend not to rember zombie film names, but like them when I watch them

Post by Polar_Bear » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:10 pm

MJS8725 wrote:
Polar_Bear wrote:Does anybody know if these shops deliver to the uk as it would be great to flavour all the balnd health food I'm soon going to be eating at uni

They sure do. International Shipping Options,. Enjoy. :D

cheers mate

midgetyaz

Post by midgetyaz » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:01 pm

herbalpagan wrote:I use AtlanticSpice.com to get my spices in bulk (what I don't grow). They give you a wholesale discount for certain amounts. They come in sealed bags, but they also have jars and larger plastic jugs available. They have baking products as well. If you live on the other side of the country, try their sister company PacificSpice. I've done business with them for many years and never been disappointed.

I've never ordered from Atlantic Spice Company online, but I usually get to their store on the Cape every year or so. I highly recommend this shop!
bonanacrom wrote:That made no sense at all. I think it was meant to make me dumber, and it worked.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Wow, a nine year old thread spam necro....possible new record? :clownshoes:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

miller21

Post by miller21 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:12 am

Hello., midgetyaz..

Thank you for it "AtlanticSpice.com", I'll also try this online site by purchasing a Spices online at a wholesale discount...,
I'll also try some baking products also...

CG

Post by CG » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:46 am

I no longer buy from them, since they decided to be political, and very rude about it, to the point of telling you that if you didn't vote the way they think you should, you should spend the next years being prostrate and apologetic to your relatives who agreed with them. Uh, screw that.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”