Dutch Oven Recipes Needed

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

HackHack

Dutch Oven Recipes Needed

Post by HackHack » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:36 pm

NO, I am not talking about the ones where you put your head under the blanket. :?

Years ago went camping with some friends and they made a killer Apple Cobbler with a Jamerson Sauce. I Lost the recipe. But with Camping season coming up I wanted to see if anyone has some great and easy recipes.

Thanks
SHTF Mental Notes:

1.No one will care about your Spelling after the Zombies attack!
2.David Hasselhoff will always love you!
...... to be Continued

Happy Go Lucky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I'll add more as they come to me.....

Re: Dutch Oven Recipes Needed

Post by Happy Go Lucky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:12 pm

I have found the recipes on this web page to be excellent. He provides a variety of stuff (dessert, entree, side dish) and separates between easy and more complicated. Also some good information on just how to use a dutch oven in the field.

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

HackHack

Post by HackHack » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:07 am

thanks, I will check it out
SHTF Mental Notes:

1.No one will care about your Spelling after the Zombies attack!
2.David Hasselhoff will always love you!
...... to be Continued

mule

Post by mule » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:02 pm

A couple years back, there was a TV show based on just dutch ovens. The guy had a couple cookbooks. I don't remember the name now, but it would be worth figuring it out. He had some amazing recipes....

Anyone remember what it was????
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost.
Want to learn to defend against a zombie attack? Ask me about Krav Maga...
I got an 84.7 on the Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz! http://zomboid.com/zombie/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AwPhuch

Post by AwPhuch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Oh man...let me help you

Dutch over recipes
http://bit.ly/yIH1rM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Lex1785
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later. Dawn of the Dead.

Post by Lex1785 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Peach Cobbler

One box of vanilla cake mix (your choice, can do it with any style of cake mix but vanilla is best, been meaning to try chocolate)
Two cans of Peaches (can do any style of fruit long as it has syrup in it. Cherry is also excellent )
Cinnamon and Brown Sugar

Mix your cake mix as usual, pour the two cans of peaches into your dutch oven, then pour in the cake mix. place on a bed of coals as well as put coals on the lid.

Let cook checking occasionally for the cake mix to have raised and browned, add your Cinnamon and Brown Sugar just before finishes to melt on the top. You should be getting little bubbles of peach syrup up through the crust.

Eat.

I've made this a dozen time camping and it disappears faster then I get the chance to eat some. Common enough recipe that every one should know how to make with a Dutch Oven.
The Hooba Dooba broke, my blog from tactical to nonsense.

- Size doesn't matter. Its all about shot placement. -

Semper Fi.

mule

Post by mule » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:58 pm

AwPhuch wrote:Oh man...let me help you

Dutch over recipes
http://bit.ly/yIH1rM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That was good...

Here is the series/web page I was talking about. All his cooking is done camping style.
http://www.ceedubs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost.
Want to learn to defend against a zombie attack? Ask me about Krav Maga...
I got an 84.7 on the Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz! http://zomboid.com/zombie/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Two of my favorite sites.
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-dorecipes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.scoutorama.com/recipe/index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:34 pm

In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

TwistedSense

Post by TwistedSense » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:21 pm

The only thing I will consume that has coffee in it.

Mom's Pot Roast

Set oven to 350 degrees

4-5lb chuck roast
2-3 onions, rough chopped
8ozs sliced mushrooms, if you use baby Portobellos they hold their shape, but I used Creminis for years
1 teaspoon of Morton's Nature's Seasoning
3 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce
Fresh ground pepper, to your taste
Brewed coffee (can substitute water and a couple of tablespoons of instant coffee crystals)

Optional: rough chopped celery, carrots, seasonings that you prefer

Place roast in Dutch oven. Add seasonings and vegetables of your choice.
Pour coffee over roast until it just covers the top of the meat.
Place in oven.
Cook for 3-4 hours, checking for tenderness and liquid level during the last hour.
Cooking time will depend on the size of the roast and your oven.
When roast is fork tender remove from oven to a platter or casserole dish.
Remove veggies if you prefer or leave them in the roast drippings to make the gravy.

For the gravy:
Note: I usually use a gravy separator to skim any oil off the drippings, you can also try to absorb any oil by laying a paper towel on the oil.

1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1 cup of COLD water

Place Dutch oven with drippings, on the stove over medium heat.
Thoroughly mix flour and 1/3 cup of water, it will be thick.
While stirring with a whisk, slowly add your flour/water combination to the pot of drippings.
Mix thoroughly.
If the gravy is too thick, add more water.
If the gravy is too thin, add more flour/water mixture.
When the gravy is the consistency that you like, lower the heat to barely a simmer.
Taste and adjust seasonings - - I usually find that it needs more fresh ground pepper.
Simmer for about 10 minutes.

It's my moms recipe. I copied it from an email she sent me.
It tastes wonderful and I can't taste the coffee.
I don't care what you think of me. Unless you think I am awesome. In which case, you are right.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”