It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:29 pm 

I usually just boil a few chicken breasts with a bunch of different seasoning. Mostly Italian, crushed red peppers, normal pepper, and lots of salt (to taste of course). Then chop up any types of vegetables I have in the fridge and pantry, usually celery, carrots, and potatoes are the main. Add them to the chicken and broth that has been cooking once it is fully cooked.

If you do this right, it is amazing. Finding the right balance of salt is usually the hardest part. It needs to be fairly salty. You'll know once you get it going and can taste it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:45 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

My basic Pavlova recipe is
6 large egg whites
12oz caster (superfine) sugar
1 teaspoon White vinegar
1 dessertspoon cornflour

Beat the egg whites till really stiff
Add sugar in & rebeat till stiff
Repeat the above step
Fold in the last third of sugar with the vinegar & cornflour
Pile the egg-white mix onto a suitable oven tray & bake at 170 Celsius for 30 minutes, check after 15.
For the roulade I just added a teaspoon of chocolate essence & a teaspoon of cocoa powder before folding in the last third of sugar.

airballrad wrote:
All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D

wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Last edited by wee drop o' bush on Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:43 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.
I made pizzas! Basically, it was the standard 5 minute a day bread dough, floured and rolled flat on some cornmeal. I put toppings on it (in this case, cheese, chopped garlic and tomatoes and oregano on one, and cheese, garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms, and pepperoni on the other), put them in the oven on a pizza stone, one at a time, at 550* for nine minutes, whereupon I checked and spun them and put them back in for about 3 minutes. The pizza stone randomly broke while I was cooking the second one, so don't do that part, but oh man these pizzas are good.

shrapnel wrote:
Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote:
People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:
Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:15 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

I am soooooooooooo trying that next time I make a batch of dough.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:23 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.
I am going to make this soon, when I have money to get the ingredients I don't have. It will be the most complicated thing I've ever cooked.

Tamarind-Chili Pork Chops:

For the brine:

1/2 quart (2 cups) water
2 Tbs. fresh orange juice
1 teas. grated orange peel (if you don't have a zester, microplane, or small holed grater, use thin strips of orange peel with as little pith as possible)
2 Tbs. Kosher salt
1 Tbs. dark brown sugar
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1/2 Tbs. grated fresh ginger (you can mince this)
1/2 Tbs. honey
1/2 teas. whole black pepper corns
dash of red pepper flakes
4 4-ounce bone in center-cut pork chops

Combine all ingredient except for the pork and bring to a simmer on the stove. Cook until the sugar and salt dissolve. Cool to room temperature.
Arrange pork chops in a shallow glass or ceramic dish and cover with brine. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 3 hours.

For the glaze:

2 Tbs. malt vinegar
2 Tbs. cider vinegar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 plum tomato seeded, cored, and chopped
1/2 Tbs. tamarind paste

To make the glaze, combine the vinegars, brown sugar, broth, tomato, and tamarind paste in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until it is thick and syrupy.
Remove from heat and strain, cool to room temperature; this step seems somewhat unnecessary but it's up to you. Reserve 1/4 cup for serving.

Preheat broiler. Remove chops from brine and discard the brine. Pat the chops dry and brush with the glaze. Place the chops on a broiler pan about 6 minutes turning once, until deep brown on both sides, and just cooked through but still moist in the center.

Transfer chops to platter, let rest for 5 minutes (this is important to keep the juices from running out and making them dry). Spoon reserved glaze on top and serve.

Notes: I play fast and loose with the amount of ginger and orange zest in the brine, and it seems to work out no matter how much I use. I double the glaze recipe, because I like glaze, and brush it on the chops when I turn them, so it's, like, double-glazed. . I don't strain out the tomatoes, because feh, too much work and they taste good. And I use boneless pork chops, and it's fine. Also, I have not yet been able to make the glaze syrupy, but it's fine when it's a little more liquid-y. Otherwise, follow the recipe, and it's awesome.

shrapnel wrote:
Dr. Cox wrote:
People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:07 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Tofu Stroganoff. I'll make it when I have money to buy tofu. But here it is for posterity.

TOFU STROGANOFF
1-2 LB. EXTRA FIRM TOFU

SLICE INTO STRIPS. PLACE STRIPS ON THREE SHEETS OF PAPER TOWEL. COVER
WITH AN ADDITIONAL THREE SHEETS OF PAPER TOWEL. PUT A CUTTING BOARD
ON TOP OF THE PAPER TOWEL COVERED STRIPS ALONG WITH SOMETHING TO
WEIGH IT DOWN (5 LB. OF FLOUR, FLOUR CANISTER, SUGAR CANISTER, ETC). LET
SIT FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES.

AFTER IT HAS BEEN PRESSED, MARINATE THE TOFU FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES.

FOR EVERY POUND OF TOFU USE::
1/4 CUP SOY SAUCE (I USE LOW SODIUM)
1/4 CUP RED WINE
2 CLOVES OF GARLIC PRESSED

RESERVE MARINADE.

1 SMALL TO MEDIUM ONION, SLICED (ADD MORE IF INCREASING THE TOFU)
½ LB. PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS, SLICED (ADD MORE IF INCREASING THE TOFU)
1-2 TBS. OIL
1-2 TBS. BUTTER
1 TBS. FLOUR
1/3 CUP SOUR CREAM
VEGETABLE BROTH, IF NEEDED

MELT BUTTER AND HEAT OIL IN A FRYING PAN. SAUTÉ TOFU UNTIL BROWNED;
REMOVE TO SERVING DISH. ADD ONION UNTIL TENDER, ADD MUSHROOMS AND
COOK UNTIL TENDER ADDING MORE OIL IF NEEDED. ADD 1 TBS FLOUR TO
ONION/MUSHROOM MIX. MAKE A ROUX. ADD THE MARINADE, SOUR CREAM, AND
VEGETABLE BROTH TO MAKE A SAUCE. ADD THE TOFU TO REHEAT.

SERVE WITH BOW TIE PASTA.

1 POUND OF TOFU SERVES 3 OF US WITH SOME LEFTOVERS

shrapnel wrote:
Dr. Cox wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:52 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Tamarind-chili pork chops. Ohmahfugginggawd these are amazing. The chops are nice and slightly salty from the brine, and the taste goes perfectly with the sweet-and-sour tamarind glaze. I forgot to take pictures while I was cooking, but the recipe isn't that hard, and the payoff is exquisite.

So.

Damn.

Good.

shrapnel wrote:
Dr. Cox wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:22 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I made a vegetarian chili and polenta tonight. The recipe claims that it feeds 8, but, my god, I ate a single bowl-full and am now stuffed to the gills. So, 8 really hungry people, maybe. It's going to be chili for the next... until Thanksgiving or longer, probably. That's ok, though, because it is really tasty.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chili-non-carne-bon-appetit-vegetarian-chili-414713
Quote:
* 1 large garlic clove
* 1 medium serrano peppers or 1 medium jalapeno chili, stemmed
* 2 large red onions, quartered
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/2 cup wheat berries
* 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
* 2 medium bell peppers, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
* 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
* 0.5 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
* 4 ounces mushrooms, quartered
* shredded longhorn colby cheese
* sour cream
* sliced green onion

Directions:

1. Steel Knife: With machine running, drop garlic and chili through feed tube and mince. Add red onions and mince using about 9 on/off turns.

2. Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add red onion mixture and wheat berries and cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.

3. Steel Knife: Coarsely chop half of carrots and half of bell peppers using on/off turns. Add to wheat berry mixture. Coarsely chop remaining carrots and bell peppers using on/off turns. Add to wheat berry mixture.

4. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, cumin, cayenne and salt to wheat berry mixture. Simmer until wheat berries are tender but still chewy, stirring mixture occasionally, about 50 minutes.

5. Add beans and mushrooms to wheat berry mixture. Simmer until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. (Can be prepared 4 days ahead. Cool, cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over low heat.) Adjust seasoning. Place 1 polenta round in each soup bowl. Spoon chili over. Serve with cheese, sour cream, and green onions.

I didn't use mushrooms, because I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms. And I added in... some... chili powder because whoever heard of chili without chili powder? Savages, that's who. You can probably get wheat berries (unground wheat grains, basically) at a natural foods type store, in the bulk section. Or don't add them, but I like the extra texture you get. The recipe says to use a food processor, but I just went with chopping things by hand. I should have chopped them a little finer, but overall, it was dandy.

And, the polenta. The recipe said to cut the polenta into circles, but I, being lazy and not wanting to do more dishes than I had to, just went with a sheet of polenta. It's fine. I added about two minutes on to the cooking time to compensate for a bigger amount of stuff to cook. Also, I used medium ground white cornmeal, because that was what I had. Mom told me that coarse works better, as it's less likely to get lumpy, but my polenta was non-lumpy and tasty, and the color doesn't really matter.

http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-polenta-with-cheese-and-jalapenos-bon-appetit-414716

Quote:
* 1 -2 medium jalapenos or 1 -2 medium serrano chili, stemmed
* 8 ounces piece monterey jack cheese, halved
* 3 cups water
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
* 1 cup yellow cornmeal
* fresh ground pepper

Directions:

1. Steel Knife: With machine running, drop chili through feed tube and mince. Remove from work bowl.

2. Shredder: Arrange cheese in feed tube and shred using light pressure.

3. Generously grease 8-inch square pan. Bring water, 2 tablespoons oil and the salt to boil in large heavy saucepan. Reduce heat to low. Add cornmeal in thin, steady stream, whisking constantly. Cook until mixture is very thick and film forms on bottom of pan, stirring frequently, about 9 minutes. (Or to microwave: Combine water, 2 tablespoons oil, salt, and cornmeal in 3-quart microwave casserole. Cover and cook on High 4 minutes. Uncover; whisk until smooth. Cover and cook until very thick, about 6 minutes.) Add chili, half of cheese and pepper and stir until smooth. Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Smooth top with spatula. Cool completely. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and chill.).

4. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Grease large baking sheet. Cut polenta into eight rounds using 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Transfer to prepared sheet. Brush tops of rounds with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is golden, 10 to 12 minutes. (Or to microwave: Arrange 4 polenta rounds in circle on microwave plate. Brush with oil and sprinkle with cheese. Cook uncovered on Medium 7 minutes. Repeat with remaining polenta, oil, and cheese. Serve hot.

I would use less than a tablespoon of olive oil to brush on top of the polenta- it's very oily. I put a paper towel on top to soak up excess, and it's fine. But, yeah. Less oil. Also, I just chopped the jalepeno, as it seemed silly to use a food processor to chop a few peppers. And I saved a few and sprinkled them on top of the cooled but not yet baked polenta, for a little extra spice and color.

Pictures!

Yes, that's a spatula. A spoon would have worked better, but I started with the spatula, and why get two utensils dirty? And the stove is a mess. Don't judge me.

shrapnel wrote:
Dr. Cox wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:22 pm 

That looks great, but the pork chops look amazing.
Good work kiddo.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:54 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Avocado salad. It's tasty and vegan, should that be a thing for anyone.

Ingredients
6 tomatoes, chopped
4 avocados, chopped
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 or 2 cans of chopped green chilies

Dressing
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 clove smashed and chopped garlic
1/2 onion, chopped
some? salt

In a large bowl, combine the chopped avocado, tomato, and cilantro. In a separate bowl, combine the dressing ingredients, and stir vigorously until they're more or less mixed together. Pour over the salad, and stir a few times to coat the veggies evenly with the dressing. You don't want to stir too much, or the avocado will liquefy and get nasty, but try and homogenize the whole mixture so it isn't in layers. Eat it, and marvel at the delicious flavors.

shrapnel wrote:
Dr. Cox wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:48 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Holy necro, Batman!

I tried this recipe a week or two ago, and it was excellent. And easy, which was nice because I've always heard quiche is hard to make.

Ingredients:

1 prepared pie crust (I used this recipe)
8 oz bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled (equals 1/2 cup crumbled)
1.5 cups fresh cut corn kernels (this was from 2 ears of sweet corn)
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2 bunch scallions, sliced (equals about 1/3 cup)
4 oz gruyere cheese, grated
4 eggs
1¼ cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp salt

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

We are going to start by blind baking the pie crust, and all that means is we are going to prebake it so that the crust isn't soggy later on, it stays flaky and crisp. To do this, press your pie crust into a 9 inch pie plate. Cover it with a sheet of parchment paper and dump in some sort of pie weight, like dried beans, rice, or ceramic pie weights. Bake the pie crust for 25 minutes, then remove the beans and parchment paper, and bake for 10 more minutes. Remove the pie crust from the oven, and turn the oven temperature down to 350.

Gather up your crumbled bacon, corn, tomatoes, scallions, and cheese, and layer them into the crust. Set aside.

Place the eggs, heavy cream, milk, and salt in a big bowl and whip with a hand mixer for 1 minute on high speed. It will be frothy on top. Pour this custard over the tomatoes, bacon, corn, etc until it comes almost to the top of the crust. Bake in the 350 degree oven for 1 hour, then take it out of the oven. Jiggle the pie pan from side to side and look at how it moves. If it still looks liquidy, it needs more time, but if it just jiggles a bit, then it's set and is done. Take care not to overbake.

The quiche tastes better the next day and reheats beautifully. Let the quiche cool completely, keep it in the fridge overnight, then the next day, preheat the oven to 350. Cut the quiche into slices (it slices cleaner when it's cold), and reheat in the oven for about 10 minutes, until warmed through.

NOTES:
I don't know what kind of mutant giant pie crusts the woman was using, but those ingredients made two nine inch pies, not one. I used crusts from Publix because who has time to make their own crusts? Not me, so I ignored most of the first step and just followed the directions on the package for pre-baking the crusts. Also I didn't use bacon because I don't like soggy bacon, and quiche bacon always ends up soggy.

This was the only recipe I've ever used where the cooking time was exactly what the recipe called for. I don't know how that happened, but one hour did it perfectly. YMMV, though.

shrapnel wrote:
Dr. Cox wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:39 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Chicken soup, with a recipe that Crypto was kind enough to share with me.

Chop up some veggies. I used some potatoes, a few carrots, an onion, and a few cloves of garlic. You could add whatever, probably.

Get a soup pot. Put the onion in it with a little olive oil, and sautee until translucent. Then throw the chopped up potatoes and carrots in the pot as well. Stir those around briefly, then add the garlic. Stir it all up for a minute or so, then take the pot off the burner if you're not yet finished with the step after this one.

MEANWHILE. Take some chicken. I used two boneless skinless chicken breasts. Brown them in a pan (I still don't precisely know what exactly constitutes 'brown', and my chicken was stealth-frozen so it ended up uncooked in the middle. Whatever) with like 1/4 cup of olive oil or something. Once that's done, chop or tear the chicken up into the veggie pot. If you're good I imagine you could time it so you're putting the chicken into the veggie pot directly after the garlic, and would not need to take the veggies off the burner. I am not good (this isn't Cooking (well) with Shrapnel, after all), so the veggies got to cool down for a bit. Save the pan and oil that you cooked the chicken in for later.

Anyway. Now all your ingredients are in the Big Pot. Put that on the stove again, let it get kind of warmed up, then add... some... chicken broth to it. I threw in like 5 cups, because it seemed like a good amount (actually I put water in, and then added the appropriate quantity of Better Than Bouillon, but you know what I mean). Also add in spices. I used Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, a few bay leaves, and some extra oregano.

Let the soup start to boil, then turn it down a bit to simmer.

MEANWHILE. Add a little bit of butter to your chicken crispies/oil pan. Let that melt, then let it cook until it mostly stops bubbling (apparently this is water coming off, so there you go). Then add like a tablespoon of flour and make a blonde roux. I think I should have added more flour, because frankly my soup ended up with a layer of oil floating on top of it, but it wasn't, you know, bad, just oily.

Once the roux is the right color, turn the heat up to about medium, and take about a cup of broth from the soup pot. Pour that into the pan. Watch, enthralled, as the whole thing magically thickens up. Use your spatula or whatever to scrape the chicken crusties and general deliciousness off of the pan, stir it around with the roux, then pour it all into the soup pot.

Cover the soup pot (or don't, I'm not the boss of you) and cook until the potatoes are soft. Eat.

NOTES: Not bad, other than the aforementioned oil problem, and the soup was the wrong color. I don't know, it was very pale. Mom said to add some Kitchen Bouquet, whatever that is (it is some sort of vegetable-based food coloring to make your soups and gravys look soupier and gravier, I guess) next time. Also the chicken is tougher than I think is strictly necessary, and I don't know why. So that's something to figure out. And I think it needs some other sort of vegetable, but I don't know what (not celery, I hate celery. Bok choy, maybe, and something else. Peppers? Something colorful.)

So, excellent recipe, that was only brought down by my own incompetence. Huzzah!

Edit: I am informed that the chicken is tough because I let the temperature get too hot in the pot. Whoopsies. Also I am informed that I really should use thighs or something, not breasts, to make chicken soup.

shrapnel wrote:
Dr. Cox wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

This is one of my favourite threads. It just keeps getting better and better. Thanks!

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:32 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Sorry about the oil, if that had been chicken fat or butter on top of the broth you would have been loving life. get chicken with the skin on next time :D

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:15 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

On the bread issue - If you can get a hold of it, using freshly milled flour makes the bread really outstanding. I make my own bread and a friend gave me some flour he had just milled at home and told me to try it. HOLY CRAP! It was night and day. Now my kids will not let me make bread (or anything with flour in it) unless I mill my own. Yes, I did get a had flour mill and get bulk Hard Red Winter #2 berries from the local store to mill them.

Of every one-hundred men,
Ten shouldn't even be there.
Eighty are nothing but targets.
Nine are real fighters....
We are lucky to have them,
They make the battle. Ah, but one,
One of them is a Warrior....
He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:01 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

From ZombieGranny, in the (unlikely) event that I decide to start making jelly.

ZombieGranny wrote:
From an old defunct site that I stored on my hard drive
http://www.geocities.com/recipes_za/pectin.html
Homemade Apple Pectin
2 kg ( 4 lbs. ) apples, skin and cores 2 litres ( 4½ pints) water, 1st extraction

Select tart, hard, ripe apples. Remove bruised spots. Cut into thin slices. Place in a large saucepan and bring quickly to boiling point. Cover, and let boil rapidly for about 20 minutes. Strain through four thicknesses of cheese cloth. When juice stops dripping, press pulp lightly with a spoon, but do not squeeze bag. Set aside juice. Remove pulp from bag. Weigh or measure and add to it an equal quantity of water. Boil again for 20 minutes and strain. Mix the two liquids ( extractions ). It should measure about 3 litres ( 3 quarts ). Place the juice in a wide pan so that it is no more than 50 mm ( 2 inches ) deep. Heat rapidly for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the liquid is 12 mm ( ½ inch ) deep, or reduced to ¾ of a litre ( 1 ½ pints ). If not wanted for immediate use, pour at once into hot sterilized jars and seal. Sealing jars used, should not hold more than ½ a cup.
-----------------------------
Fruits low in acid and Pectin are not suitable for Jam making without the addition of other fruits or lemon juice. Those fruits low in both acid and Pectin include pears, melons, most berries and cherries.
Testing for Pectin

To test for Pectin before adding sugar:
Remove 5 ml ( 1 teaspoon ) of the cooked fruit juice and place it in a glass. Cool.
Add 15 ml ( 1 tablespoon ) of methylated spirits and shake the glass.

If a clear jelly like clot appears, there is plenty of Pectin. If several small clots form, the Pectin content is medium. If no clots form, the Pectin content is poor.
If the Pectin content is poor, add 60 ml ( 4 tablespoons ) of Pectin ( obtainable from your Chemist in powder form or make you own - see below ) for every 500g of fruit.
---------------------------
From another defunct site -
Homemade Pectin

Most commercial pectins contain sugar. You can make a homemade pectin from apples and either use it immediately or store it for future use.

You will need small, green, immature apples. Gather these in early summer to make your pectin. These apples make nice jelly stock and give a tart flavor to your finished jellies.
You may use damaged apples, or apples that are not perfect if you cut away all the imperfections first.

Wash the apples, trim the bad parts off and slice them very thinly. Place them in a large dutch oven or pan and add 2 cups of water for each pound of apples.
Cover the pan and boil the contents for 15 minutes. Strain the juice through one thickness of cheese cloth, do not squeeze the pulp. Save the juice.
Put the pulp back into the pan and add the required amount of water again. Cook the contents again for 15 minutes, but at a lower temperature.. Strain the juices again through cheese cloth, without squeezing the pulp. When the pulp cools, you can press some more juice from it.
To store the juice for future use...

Heat the stock to the boiling point, then our it into hot sterilized canning jars. Apply sterilized lids and rings. Invert the jars and allow them to cool and seal.
You may want to freeze the stock instead of canning it. Pour the stock into freezer containers. Leave an inch of headroom.

Here is a recipe using the homemade pectin...

Honey Jelly

2 cups homemade pectin to every 2 1/2 cups honey plus 1/2 cup water. Rapidly boil the ingredients for 10 minutes. Stir but do not lower the heat.
Pour immediately into hot, sterilized jars. Seal and do not disturb them until they are cool and partially set. To complete the setting, set the jars in the refrigerator.

The same instructions may be used for these ingredients to make grape jelly.

Grape Jelly
2 1/2 cups grape juice (unsweetened and if possible, homemade)
1/2 cup honey
2 cups homemade pectin
------------------------------
From http://www.grandpappy.info/rhomemad.htm
Fruit Pectin (Used in jam and jelly recipes)
10 or 12 green, hard, sour apples (not yet ripe)
Do NOT use ripe apples. Do not peel the apples. Cut the apples into quarters. Do not remove the seeds. Place in a large pot and add just enough water to barely cover the apples. Cover the pot and simmer on very low heat until the apples are fully cooked. Stir every twenty-minutes. When the mixture looks like runny applesauce it is done. Place a strainer or colander over another clean pot. Place a clean cloth inside the strainer. Pour the hot applesauce mixture into the cloth covered strainer so it can drip through into the large pot underneath. It will take several hours for the mixture to drain through the clean cloth. The slimy thick liquid in the pot is the fruit pectin. Refrigerate or freeze it until it is needed in a recipe.
How to Use: Substitute the above apple pectin in any recipe that requires a box of fruit pectin (about 1.75 ounces) by using 3 tablespoons apple pectin with 4 tablespoons sugar.
--------------------
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_07/jelly_w ... ectin.html
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_07/jam_without_pectin.html

shrapnel wrote:
Dr. Cox wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:34 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Hammer31 wrote:
On the bread issue - If you can get a hold of it, using freshly milled flour makes the bread really outstanding. I make my own bread and a friend gave me some flour he had just milled at home and told me to try it. HOLY CRAP! It was night and day. Now my kids will not let me make bread (or anything with flour in it) unless I mill my own. Yes, I did get a had flour mill and get bulk Hard Red Winter #2 berries from the local store to mill them.

This, this this. I am usually not able to taste much difference in things that other people say are important - but OMG bread from fresh ground flour is like crack... Really does make a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:58 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Mom kind of foisted like half a pound of za'atar on me, which is some kind of Middle Eastern spice blend, so I've been trying to find things to use it in. So, new recipe! It is so very easy and also delicious.

https://www.kashi.com/recipes-we-love/dinner/grilled-za-atar-chicken-recipe

Ingredients

1 cup plain organic nonfat yogurt
1 tablespoon Za’atar
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh organic garlic
1 teaspoon natural sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless free range or organic chicken leg meat
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed organic lemon juice, plus lemon wedges to serve

Directions

1. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, Za’atar, garlic, salt and pepper. Coat the chicken in the sauce. You can either marinate it just for 30 minutes before grilling or for several hours to overnight in the refrigerator. Stir in the lemon juice right before grilling.
2. Preheat the grill to medium or medium-high and oil the cooking grate (See Cooking Tip). Alternatively, preheat the oven to broil and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly grease the foil. Using your hands, remove any excess sauce from the chicken.
3. Spread the chicken out to a thin layer on the greased grates and grill, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 8-10 minutes per side. If using the broiler, place the chicken pieces on the pan, again stretched out to its flattest shape, and broil until no longer pink in the center, 8-10 minutes per side.
4. Let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes, tented with foil. Slice diagonally and serve immediately.

I used chicken tenderloins instead of legs, because they were on sale. I cooked them by putting them in a foil-lined pan to broil, for about 3:30 or so per side. Ignored the organic stuff, because I'm not made out of money, and just got regular ingredients. I also made a halved version of the marinade as a sauce to serve over the cooked chicken, and it was delicious. The only thing I'd change is to use less salt in the topping sauce, as it turned out pretty salty. Otherwise, mmmmm. It was a quick and super easy recipe to make, so it's going in the regular rotation.

shrapnel wrote:
Dr. Cox wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:22 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Mushroom-barley soup. It is vegan, and low fat/low acidity, for when you're trying to cook for a group of friends with dietary requirements that read like a logic puzzle. This makes, I dunno, approximately a shitton of food, so you might cut the recipe in half if you're not cooking for a bunch of people.

1 large and 1 small onion, cut up
2 potatoes, cubed
2-3 carrots, sliced
Some (?) garlic
1 cup barley
Italian seasoning
Bay leaves
Salt and pepper
6 cups of mushroom broth
About 20 oz of sliced mushrooms- I used a mix of white mushrooms and baby portabello

Saute the onions in your soup pot in a bit of olive oil, until translucent. Add in the potatoes and carrots, and saute for another minute or two. Throw the garlic, the barley, and the Italian seasoning in the pot and stir it all in for less than a minute.

Add the broth, the bay leaves, and the salt and pepper to the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and stir periodically until everything is mostly cooked- maybe 30 or 40 minutes? I dunno.

About fifteen minutes before the soup is done, add the mushrooms to the pot. Stir the pot every few minutes, and when the mushrooms are done, your barley is tender but still has a little bit of pop/texture to it, and your potatoes are cooked, take the soup off the heat and serve.

Pretty simple, but tasty.

shrapnel wrote:
Dr. Cox wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:03 am 

shrapnel wrote:
Mushroom-barley soup.

Oooo...
That looks good.
Although I doubt my wife will tolerate that much fungus in her stew.
Will probably have to cut it back a bit.

Then she will sneak out to the kitchen and crumble a bunch of bacon in it.
Not that the 6 kids or I will complain...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:17 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Butthurt pasta. It's magnificently delicious, it's just that you'll likely regret it later, and also it is nowhere near healthy. I personally think it's worth it. For a pound of (angel hair, you might adjust if you use penne or something) pasta...

Take like three or four heads of garlic. Yes, heads, not cloves. Mince/press/whatever it is you do, to get the garlic into tiny pieces. Put about a quarter of a stick of butter in a frying pan, along with what will look like way too much Italian seasoning, fresh herbs, salt, and crushed red pepper. Also, olive oil. Maybe 1/4 of a cup? I don't know, I do it by look. You shouldn't be able to see the bottom of the pan because it's covered in a thick layer of seasoning and lipids. Bring to a simmer. Add in your giant pile of garlic, and also the tomatoes that I forgot to mention you should have diced. And maybe some bell peppers if you're feeling fancy but I usually don't. At this point your sauce should be... thick. Like enough spices and garlic that almost all the oil is occupied by stuff. Not quite pesto like you'd put on bread levels of thick, but close. Sautee for about 45 seconds, then you're done. Pour that over pasta, and stir it around to get the spices and garlic distributed evenly. Repel any and all vampires within a 10 mile radius armed with nothing but your breath. Wince with regret about eight hours later as the inspiration for the name of the dish becomes uncomfortably clear. Smile because it's so delicious it's worth it.

shrapnel wrote:
Dr. Cox wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:19 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

New recipe! This is a tofu shawarma... thing. It is probably terribly inauthentic, but I liked it, although there's some changes I'm going to make.

Tofu Shawarma

2 containers of extra firm tofu - slice it into thin rectangles, put down some paper towels, put the tofu slices on the paper towels, and another layer of paper towels over them. Then put a cutting board on top of the stack, and press with a some cans or a few bags of flour or whatever (I tend to use stacks of textbooks, but seriously, just weight) for about 30 minutes. I got super firm tofu, whatever that is, and didn't press it, and that turned out fine. So... YMMV?
2 onions, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
1 tablespoon turmeric
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/8-1/4 teaspoon hot paprika or cayenne pepper
8 tablespoons (about) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 whole pita breads (because I didn't want to go all the way to the Indian grocery to get naan)

Slice onions place in a bowl. Mix spices in a small container, then add to the onions and stir. Add 5 TBS. of olive oil and stir again. Add the tofu and gently stir to coat. Let sit to marinate for another 30 minutes or longer. After marinating, add the remaining olive oil to a skillet and sauté in batches. You want the onions to kind of caramelize but not burn*. You also don't want to crowd the tofu-onions in the pan.

Serve with hummus, pita bread and tomato relish/salad.

Tomato Relish
1 pound ripe tomatoes, finely chopped (with seeds and juices)
2/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
A few jalapeno peppers to taste
Some(?) cumin and coriander**

Dice the tomatoes, add onions, etc. Stir to combine. Can be made while the tofu is marinating.

NOTES: The tofu is missing something. I'm not sure if it needs a little chicken broth, or possibly some more salt, or maybe some cilantro, but it could use whatever it is. So that's something I'm going to keep working on. You could probably sub in chicken for the tofu, if you wanted. The tomato relish could use a few tweaks, too- I didn't use enough jalapeno, so it isn't as spicy as I's have liked. Also I served the whole thing over rice, which was ok, but also tasted too bland and boring. I'll figure out something for that, too. Generally, though, it was a good meal, and I'm pretty happy with it.

EDIT: Crypto suggested trying various things with the shawarma, including about half a tsp of clove and cinnamon, adding some curry powder (with less turmeric, because apparently there's plenty of that in curry powder), and throwing a few cloves of garlic in there too. I will report back next time I make this with updates!

*I apparently need to work on my sautee game, because I had a lot of trouble getting the onions cooked without burning the tofu. Or the onions, for that matter. My solution was to fish out all of the tofu chunks from the bowl I was using, get those a bit browned, and then sautee the onions separately in one big batch. It seemed significantly easier. In the future, I'm going to just put a few onions in the marinade for flavor purposes, and the rest can have a little extra marinade and be cooked on their own, apart from the tofu.

**The recipe for this one originally didn't have cilantro, cumin, or coriander in it, but it tasted pretty bland and boring and I felt that some spices and cilantro would liven it up significantly, which is exactly what happened.

shrapnel wrote:
Dr. Cox wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:04 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Thread necro! I've been experimenting a lot with new recipes, so probably more will find their way in here over the next few days. Here is ribs and green beans.

Chinese Ginger Ribs, modified from The Best of Bon Appetit
Original recipe, edits in italics

6 lb. pork spareribs or loin backrib, parboiled I was told that parboiling sucks out half the flavor, so I went with raw St Louis style ribs, whatever those are. They were what the grocery store had, so that was what I used.

GINGER SAUCE:
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. ketchup
1/4 c. chicken broth or water
3 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. grated fresh ginger (2 tsp. dried ginger)
Minced garlic, however much you like garlic

RUB:
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. celery seed
Dash of dry mustard

Place ribs in pan three pans, lined in tin foil large enough to hold them in 1 layer. Combine ingredients for ginger sauce, pour over ribs, cover and refrigerate overnight, turning once or twice. I doubled the sauce, because I had to break the ribs up between three pans. Otherwise, yeah, basically this. Also there's apparently some sort of membrane on the backs of ribs you have to pull off? That was a fucking mess, because I didn't do it until after I'd marinated them, and also the membrane didn't want to come off. I don't know how utterly necessary this step is, but several recipes mentioned it, so you figure it out. I've never made ribs before and I'm not the boss of you.

Remove ribs from marinade and pat dry with paper towels; reserve marinade for grilling. Since the ribs were still raw, I decided to bake them first. The pans they were in were already lined with tin foil, so I just left them in the marinade and covered the tops of the pans with more tin foil. They went in the oven at 325* for 40 minutes, then I spun the pans and shuffled them because the heat distribution in the oven is incredibly uneven, and flipped the racks, rebasted with sauce, and put them in for another 40 minutes. Your oven is probably a lot more functional, so you can likely skip everything but the flipping and putting sauce on the top. Most of the recipes I saw online said to bake them for at least two hours, or up to four, but this worked pretty well for me. I don't know if I did something wrong or if they'd have been better if I'd left them in longer, though.

Pour the delicious marinade/meat juices into a pot or cup or something for basting later.

Combine ingredients for the rub and pat sprinkle awkwardly because you forgot to pat the ribs dry over ribs. Grill or plate on spit, accordion-style, and roast 30 to 45 minutes, basting frequently. I approximated something like indirect heat on the grill, and cooked the ribs for about ten minutes, putting plenty of the marinade/juices on the ribs every time I turned them, which was every... 3? minutes. I have no idea what I was doing, but it seems to have worked.

Let rest for five minutes, then serve.

Green beans with almonds and garlic

Take a bunch of green beans, like a pound or so. Wash them, cut off the ends, and cut them into 2 or so inch pieces.
Bring a pot of water to boil, and put the green beans in the pot of water for about 5 minutes. They should be tender but still crisp, not flabby. Drain them and set them aside somewhere for a bit.
In a skillet, heat up a tsp or so of olive oil, then throw in a handful of sliced almond pieces. Maybe... 1/3 of a cup? It depends how much you like almonds.
Saute the almonds until most of them are golden-brown. It doesn't have to be perfect, or at least mine never are. You do you.
Add however much garlic you want to. A few cloves. I love garlic so I put way more than that in, but that's me.
Saute the mixture for another 30 seconds.
Put the green beans into the skillet, and stir them around until they're heated up and distributed evenly. Salt and pepper to taste, then serve.

shrapnel wrote:
Dr. Cox wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:02 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

NOM! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

airballrad wrote:
All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D

wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next