Wheatgrass, Importance as Bug Out Food

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Re: Wheatgrass Importance YES, this is BOB related

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue May 31, 2011 2:23 pm

All I need for a trusted source is what I was looking for - nutritional content. A lot of what I found in my google searches this morning was all the claims, none of which I believe in the extent they were reported (cancer, energy, detoxification, yadda yadda), and claims backed with the selling of a product.

Also, any accounts of long teerm backpackers using this as a nutritional source while they were backpacking would be nice.

Again, I sprout wheat grass as an addition to my normal diet... or I will buy some sprouts ( being half Thai, I eat mung bean sprouts a lot), but some of us are dubious when claims are made other than nutitional about some food.
No offense but I think you are just lazy. It takes me 5 (or less) minutes a day to tend to my wheatgrass, you don't have a spare 5 minutes to water a plant that could save your life.. and heal your body ?
I would rather just use my wild food knowledge to pick edible greens that might just have just as much if not more nutritinal value then tending wheatgrass sprouts in my pack. Also, looking for edible greens in the wild improves my knowledge base and exposes me to the "outer' world more than insular actions like tending my backpack sprout garden which raises my chances of finding more resources and such that may aid me in my journey.

How is wheat grass going to "heal my body" more than a little bit of spring dandelion leaves and blackberry bush shoots, a few cups of water and a Cliff Bar?
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

wguy00

Post by wguy00 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:25 pm

Marcis wrote:1. what does everyone consider a valuable resource for hard evidence ? I often trust nothing I read on the net, but I also don't trust peer reviewed studies, medical association studies, major media outlet information. So what does everyone trust information wise ? I need to know this so I can post "hard evidence"
What's left to trust? Bound books and anecdotal evidence of a friend of a friend?
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
-Douglas Adams

Marcis

Post by Marcis » Tue May 31, 2011 2:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCpu6t19d40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this video is by no means scientific, but here is a guy who has been using it for awhile and claims the health benefits for him are amazing. He has several videos, so maybe check out some of his others also, not just the one I have posted.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue May 31, 2011 2:59 pm

55grams dandelion greens:
25 calories
42 mg sodium
5 grams carbs
2 grams fiber
1 gram protein
112% vit A
10% calcium
32% vit C
9% iron
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2441/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could not find "wheatgrass sprouts" but found 105 gram serving of wheat, sprouted:
214 calories
1 gram fat
17 mg sodium
46 g carbs
1 gram fiber
8 grams protien
3% calcium
5% v C
13% iron
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cer ... sta/5750/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
President ZSC011

Marcis

Post by Marcis » Tue May 31, 2011 3:16 pm

wguy00 wrote:
Marcis wrote:1. what does everyone consider a valuable resource for hard evidence ? I often trust nothing I read on the net, but I also don't trust peer reviewed studies, medical association studies, major media outlet information. So what does everyone trust information wise ? I need to know this so I can post "hard evidence"
What's left to trust? Bound books and anecdotal evidence of a friend of a friend?

sounds about right .. haha, yikes. sucks it's so hard to trust information these days!

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Tue May 31, 2011 3:17 pm

Marcis wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCpu6t19d40 this video is by no means scientific, but here is a guy who has been using it for awhile and claims the health benefits for him are amazing. He has several videos, so maybe check out some of his others also, not just the one I have posted.
The plural, or in this case singular, of anecdote is not data. When I lost 100#, I ate ice cream every night and felt great. That doesn't mean ice cream makes you lose weight or feel better. I feel like you're trying to validate the fact you think it's some sort of superfood as opposed to it being some sort of magic backpack food.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue May 31, 2011 3:26 pm

IMO, all sources not trying to sell wheatgrass and it's related products state that any miraculous health benefits from it are disputed or unproven. All us dumb little peons have to work with here is nutritional information and our own knowledge of how nutrition works on our own biology. All the information I have gathered on wheatgrass sprouts or the like do not show any singnificant advantage than other vegetables. Some veggies - a few of which are gatherable on a trail - show more nutritional punch, ounce per ounce, than wheatgrass sprouts.

Moral of the story for me here is "eat your damn veggies". :lol:
President ZSC011

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue May 31, 2011 3:27 pm

I feel as though there are 2 different discussions going on here...

1) Sprouts and sprouted wheatgrass are good and healthy foodstuff for you

2) Wheatgrass is easy to grow and would make a great bug out food

#1 is generally agreed upon, #2 seemed to be the proposed reason for this thread although the OP seems to be walking away from that assertion a little...

As I suggested earlier, it might make everyone happier if we stopped talking about wheatgrass as a bug out food, and just talked about it as a food option for the PAW, by moving this thread into the eats and drinks forum...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue May 31, 2011 3:35 pm

Jamie wrote:I feel as though there are 2 different discussions going on here...

#1 is generally agreed upon, #2 seemed to be the proposed reason for this thread although the OP seems to be walking away from that assertion a little...

As I suggested earlier, it might make everyone happier if we stopped talking about wheatgrass as a bug out food, and just talked about it as a food option for the PAW, by moving this thread into the eats and drinks forum...

Jamie
That is exactly where I am at with this.

Great food source, like any other healthy green. It is easily made in one's kitchen also. I could also see someone being ready to sprout some at a bug out location.

Trail food? Not so much.

Magical healing food? +2 not so much. Not any more or less than some spinach or brocolli - though easier to grow and harvest than such things.
President ZSC011

Marcis

Post by Marcis » Tue May 31, 2011 3:53 pm

Jamie wrote:I feel as though there are 2 different discussions going on here...

Jamie
Yeah I am definitely walking away from #2 a bit. Although I personally will probably keep a cup or so in my Kifaru E&E. My E&E currently is my BOB, so ZXR will have the majority of the seed, and the BOB will have a little just in case I have to ditch my main ruck.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue May 31, 2011 6:31 pm

I moved the thread to the "Eats and Drinks" forum...you may want to alter the title in your original post to read something like, "Wheatgrass, Importance as Bug Out Food"...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Wheatgrass, Importance as Bug Out Food

Post by Woods Walker » Tue May 31, 2011 10:07 pm

I put a shadow in the Bug Out Gear sub forum to make finding this thread easier for those involved as it was moved from that location.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Marcis

Post by Marcis » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:52 pm

http://www.puregreenfoods.com/old_pages ... ition.html - Here is a pretty thorough list of nutrients, minerals, vitamins, etc etc in wheat grass.

Ninjadaddy

Post by Ninjadaddy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:40 am

Marcis wrote:
you can't regrow peanut butter no matter how hard you try.[/quote]

Perhaps the saddest words ever written.

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:06 pm

I would be interested in at least trying my hand at growing these. Can OP give us an idea of how he would most easily carry out the growing of them? (I have little to no gardening experience) A quick explanation on how to do it in a rucksack would be cool too.

Finding edible plants in the area may be a better option for some climates and times of year, but if you can grow your wheat sprouts in the dead of winter or in a desert it may be a fairly decent option for some situations. All equipment in a bug out bag is situational and what may be ideal for someone in one area may be stupid or crazy for someone in another.

OP is there a reason you think that wheatgrass is going to be the best possible option for a sprouting plant? Or is it perhaps just the idea of having a renewable source that can be grown? Maybe there is a better option that has a better temperature range or has a faster time to creating new seeds? I don't know much about plants so if anyone can provide that kind of information that would be helpful.

BOLT-Mfg
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow

Post by BOLT-Mfg » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:18 pm

would like to see how sustainable wheatgrass agriculture is?

Specifically crop rotation.
Own The Process

Return to “Eats and Drinks”