Shelf life of matzah?

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Shelf life of matzah?

Post by Cybrludite » Fri May 20, 2011 2:32 am

After Passover, I noticed a bunch of Matzah on sale, but couldn't find an expiration date on the packaging. (As a friend of mine commented, "What, is it going to get even stale-er? :lol: ) Any idea how long this stuff lasts? The lack of preservatives has me a little worried about stockpiling it.
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Re: Shelf life of matzah?

Post by Ad'lan » Fri May 20, 2011 3:10 am

Cybrludite wrote:After Passover, I noticed a bunch of Matzah on sale, but couldn't find an expiration date on the packaging. (As a friend of mine commented, "What, is it going to get even stale-er? :lol: ) Any idea how long this stuff lasts? The lack of preservatives has me a little worried about stockpiling it.
All depends on how you store it. Just in the boxes? We've had boxes from a few years ago, and they were sound. Stored in a cool dry place though. If you sealed them up properly air tight, with some moisture and 02 absorbers, made sure no pests could get at them, I could easily see them lasting a decade or more.

Matzah goes off by absorbing moisture from the air. It's like a biscuit, not a cake.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri May 20, 2011 9:50 am

Cybrludite wrote:After Passover, I noticed a bunch of Matzah on sale, but couldn't find an expiration date on the packaging. (As a friend of mine commented, "What, is it going to get even stale-er? :lol: ) Any idea how long this stuff lasts? The lack of preservatives has me a little worried about stockpiling it.
I stock pile matzah in stead of crackers for the exact reason you mentioned. It goes on sale after passover and it is not going to get staler. They are normally wrapped in the sealed plastic bags and as long as the humidity does not get to them they should last a very long time.

I look for the ones labeled Kosher for passover and buy those. I take them out of the box to reduce the space they take up (but leave them sealed) and put them in zip lock bags with an oxygen absorber. I simply cycle them out after 3 to 5 years. As long as the package is sealed I think they are good for a very long time.

Matzah Ball soup is great.

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Fri May 20, 2011 10:12 am

raptor wrote:
I stock pile matzah in stead of crackers for the exact reason you mentioned. It goes on sale after passover and it is not going to get staler. They are normally wrapped in the sealed plastic bags and as long as the humidity does not get to them they should last a very long time.

I look for the ones labeled Kosher for passover and buy those. I take them out of the box to reduce the space they take up (but leave them sealed) and put them in zip lock bags with an oxygen absorber. I simply cycle them out after 3 to 5 years. As long as the package is sealed I think they are good for a very long time.

You've all solved a great mystery in the Orthodox Jewish community about what happens to all the left over Matzah after Passover. :)

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

wagdhead

Post by wagdhead » Fri May 20, 2011 10:44 am

Well, some friends of mine just had the First Annual Matzah Olympics using a box of matzah found in their old synagogue. The brand was Yehuda Matzo which is kosher. It's use by date was 2003, but it was fine.

Events included:
Matza chop: how many can you break with one chop.
Mazta Frisbee toss
Matza throwing star
The Jewish silencer: eat two crakers and try to recite your Haftorah. The Christian particpants (me included) had to recite the Apostle Creed without choking or needing water.
The day the music died: similar to above but you had to whistle the National Anthem.

Shelf life is supposed to be 2 1/2 years, but they re crisped the Matzah we ate by putting it in the oven for 5 minutes on low heat.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri May 20, 2011 1:53 pm

jnathan wrote:
raptor wrote:

You've all solved a great mystery in the Orthodox Jewish community about what happens to all the left over Matzah after Passover. :)

-Jeff
I know a good deal when i see it.

The same with frozen turkeys after Thanksgiving and Ham after Easter. Not to mention my favorite candy sales after Halloween and Easter.:D

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Fri May 20, 2011 1:56 pm

I think it has a half life of 2000 years when stored properly...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri May 20, 2011 3:39 pm

wagdhead wrote:Well, some friends of mine just had the First Annual Matzah Olympics using a box of matzah found in their old synagogue. The brand was Yehuda Matzo which is kosher. It's use by date was 2003, but it was fine.

Events included:
Matza chop: how many can you break with one chop.
Mazta Frisbee toss
Matza throwing star
The Jewish silencer: eat two crakers and try to recite your Haftorah. The Christian particpants (me included) had to recite the Apostle Creed without choking or needing water.
The day the music died: similar to above but you had to whistle the National Anthem.

Shelf life is supposed to be 2 1/2 years, but they re crisped the Matzah we ate by putting it in the oven for 5 minutes on low heat.
That's the funniest damn thing I've heard all day; thanks for sharing that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

FWIW: I've also eyed those massive packages on sale after the high holidays, but I decided if I had to eat matzah in any quantity for more than one week of Passover, I'd just give myself up to the zombie hordes and get it over with.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Fri May 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Dad likes eating matzoh on a regular basis. We ate a box of it that had been sitting for three years, just in the back of a cabinet, and it was fine.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Fri May 20, 2011 4:13 pm

I am an IT consultant for my synagogue. Technically, I do a free work for them whenever rabbi calls me. I do it for free hoping that the rabbi will put a good word for me with the big guy.

Anyway...

About 6 years ago, he had two boxes (I mean large cardboard boxes full of smaller retail type ones) left over after the holidays. He asked me if I wanted it. I am not the kind of person to say no to a free deal. I took it.
We still eat it to this day. Tastes as fresh as 6 years ago. I still have one large box unopened. I am planning to eat it for another 6 or so years.
But you have to buy good ones. The ones that come from bakeries are the best. They are usually round like this.

There are a lot of recipes for Matzah: soups, babkas, etc.
Shabbat Shalom!
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Fri May 20, 2011 6:46 pm

CipherNameRaVeN wrote:I am an IT consultant for my synagogue. Technically, I do a free work for them whenever rabbi calls me. I do it for free hoping that the rabbi will put a good word for me with the big guy.

Anyway...

About 6 years ago, he had two boxes (I mean large cardboard boxes full of smaller retail type ones) left over after the holidays. He asked me if I wanted it. I am not the kind of person to say no to a free deal. I took it.
We still eat it to this day. Tastes as fresh as 6 years ago. I still have one large box unopened. I am planning to eat it for another 6 or so years.
But you have to buy good ones. The ones that come from bakeries are the best. They are usually round like this.

There are a lot of recipes for Matzah: soups, babkas, etc.
Shabbat Shalom!
The round matzah you're referring to is Shmura Matzah which you'll usually only find in a religious (frum) household around Passover. I personally think it tastes worse than non-Shmura matzah because it's a little but burnt in flavor and in texture it's almost like a rice cake, but not quite.

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Evil Dead, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by rhi » Fri May 20, 2011 9:50 pm

jnathan wrote:it tastes worse than non-Shmura matzah because it's a little bit burnt in flavor and in texture it's almost like a rice cake
You mean there's something worse than the "Irish Soda Bread" we endure every March 17th? :shock:

Gag.
Forget this dead man's town, I'll take you home.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu May 26, 2011 7:34 pm

This thread got me curious. Instead of cycling out my oldest matzah; I made matzah ball soup (...or should say my wife made it). The matzah was 5 years old and 2 years past the best by date. I could taste no difference between the 5 year old package and a new package. YMMV

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Mon May 30, 2011 8:05 pm

I was very disappointed with my neighbor a few weeks ago who tossed three cases of the stuff in the trash barrel down the hall the day Passover ended. She was amazed I even knew what the stuff was, and I told her if she ever got more than she needed, I'd be glad to take it on. I haven't had good Matzoh in years, and here she goes and tosses three unopened, unused packages in the trash. Good to know they don't go bad unless moisture invades once the seal is broken. Sad to say, but I didn't fish them out. :/

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Mon May 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Crimson Phoenix wrote:I was very disappointed with my neighbor a few weeks ago who tossed three cases of the stuff in the trash barrel down the hall the day Passover ended. She was amazed I even knew what the stuff was, and I told her if she ever got more than she needed, I'd be glad to take it on. I haven't had good Matzoh in years, and here she goes and tosses three unopened, unused packages in the trash. Good to know they don't go bad unless moisture invades once the seal is broken. Sad to say, but I didn't fish them out. :/
You can only eat so much of that stuff. It's pretty much dry and tasteless crackers without any salt or anything else to make it taste better. But, people still tend to over stock themselves with that stuff for the Holidays.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:22 am

True. I can't believe her dad shipped her a full case of the stuff. I want to say she got four boxes to start with, and dumped three of them unopened. Still, I'm one of those people who, if I know the food has a long shelf life, I'm not going to just toss it out after I'm tired of looking at it, and simply pace myself until it's used up or offer it to friends until someone says yes.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:08 am

raptor wrote: I stock pile matzah in stead of crackers for the exact reason you mentioned. It goes on sale after passover and it is not going to get staler. They are normally wrapped in the sealed plastic bags and as long as the humidity does not get to them they should last a very long time.

I just picked up a 5 pound box (5 1 pound boxes) of matzo for $7! Yea it's pretty bland, but not bad when you put something on it. Peanut butter is good and so is Vegemite. The trick with Vegemite is spreading it THIN. In the US you can get Vegemite at costplus world market.

I think I am going to vacuum pack some of the Matzo to keep moisture out. I will also have to try cooking with Matzo. It should work for milanesa (matzonesa? :D). I would imagine it would work anywhere you would use bread crumbs.

Apologies for bringing back an old thread. Seemed like a better idea than starting a new one. By the way, what is the general "rule" regarding posting on old threads?

*EDIT*

It occurred to me that after passover one might be able to get free matzo off of freecycle, Craig's List, or the like. I just posted a "WANTED: Matzo" on freecycle. I will post an update if I get any offers.

*EDIT AGAIN*

It turns out freecycle has a no food policy. Oh well.
Last edited by Purple_Mutant on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:26 am

I'm glad somebody asked this because I was wondering as well. It's great to have so many like minds here! :D
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

LastBoyScout
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: South Sacramento at night when view from a patrol car.

Post by LastBoyScout » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Do you guys ever make matza bri. Do you need a recipe? Will post if asked.

Last night of Passover so will be looking for matza on sale.

LastBoyScout
LastBoyscout

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

Helen Keller

An unloaded gun is a pourly balanced club.

Lynn C. Thompson to me over dinner.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:59 am

I understand there are five grains matzah can be made from. Are there different names for it made from each of those or is it made from all five? Basically, I'm interested in a gluten-free version, such as an oat version. I don't know enough about it to find it.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:47 pm

LastBoyScout wrote:Do you guys ever make matza bri. Do you need a recipe? Will post if asked.

Last night of Passover so will be looking for matza on sale.

LastBoyScout
I will happily take a recipe for Matzoh bri, whatever that is.

I made matzoh ball soup last week for the first time last week, it was awesome and popular. Even picky eater girl liked matzoh with PB. Will pick some up at the sales.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:32 am

That's it. I'm buying some today!

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:52 pm

Boondock wrote:That's it. I'm buying some today!
I just picked up another 2 large boxes (5 pounds each) for $4.50 a box. It's hard to beat at that price.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

Armor76

Post by Armor76 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:02 pm

You know I never thought about putting matzoh in our preps. I grabbed a bunch of those big cases of Shabbaot candles when they were on sale and I got some gefelte fish.... no matzoh. Thanks for the idea!

Just make sure you're getting enough fiber if you are going to be living on it for a while. Matzoh will bind you up worse than MREs. =)
You are responsible for you.
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off. Gloria Steinem
In most cases, people, even wicked people, are far more naive and simple-hearted than one generally assumes. And so are we.

Lots of good advice/philosophy here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUq6YotwOIo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It really starts at the 40 second mark.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”