Canned Bacon at Home!!

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
AgentBlack
* * * * *
Posts: 2530
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:00 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.
Location: NC

Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by AgentBlack » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:33 pm

Now the moment you've been waiting for....
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/gay127.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Some of you may have already seen this. From the lastest issue of Backwoods Home magazine.
It's an awesome way to buy in bulk and store without refrigeration. The article does not mention shelf life, so who knows? I just picked up a hard copy and as soon as I saw the title, of course I thought of ZS!! This would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the commercial packed stuff. I think I'll send an email to the author to see if she has any idea about how long this stuff keeps.

You know you love it!!
“Blessed be God, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.”
Psalms 144;1

User avatar
ZombieGranny
* * * * *
Posts: 7382
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:53 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.
Location: PNW

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:07 pm

I know I'll be jumped on by folks who will can anything...
But I'm sorry, I must say it.

Bacon has far too much fat to be safe to can.

Ignore me, listen to me, do some research regarding canning safety on your own - but please don't bother to yell at me.
I'm no longer watching this thread.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

User avatar
AgentBlack
* * * * *
Posts: 2530
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:00 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.
Location: NC

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by AgentBlack » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:51 pm

I was kinda wondering that myself, especially because it's uncooked. Which is why I was wondering about shelf life. In the article she canned the stuff, then tried it out the next day. I was thinking "great it lasted a day" but what about 6 month from now?? I really need to email this woman and see just how long she has kept it and what is the longest period of time she has let it sit before cooking and eating. I'm super paranoid about fat on my homemade jerky, because it turns rancid.

I wonder if salt brining would do anything? She mentioned the canned bacon she used to get from her grandparents was very salty.
“Blessed be God, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.”
Psalms 144;1

User avatar
nacho
* * * * *
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:05 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sugar Hill (1974)
Location: 90090
Contact:

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by nacho » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:00 am

I just think it's rad that the article was written by Enola Gay.
Image

hopetolive
*
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:09 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: day of the dead remake

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by hopetolive » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:54 am

I read the article (well the original she posted) and I have to ask why? If you do the grease method it works just as well the bacon is cooked better and it is a known way of storing meats. I got the impression that she was just trying to do it like the commercial companies do it.

jrswanson1
* * *
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by jrswanson1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:52 am

ZombieGranny wrote:I know I'll be jumped on by folks who will can anything...
But I'm sorry, I must say it.

Bacon has far too much fat to be safe to can.

Ignore me, listen to me, do some research regarding canning safety on your own - but please don't bother to yell at me.
I'm no longer watching this thread.

O Rly? Delicious canned bacon lasts over 10 years

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/bacon/c399/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim

User avatar
JTNieman
* * * * *
Posts: 9409
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm
Location: Greater STL Area

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by JTNieman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:06 am

jrswanson1 wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:I know I'll be jumped on by folks who will can anything...
But I'm sorry, I must say it.

Bacon has far too much fat to be safe to can.

Ignore me, listen to me, do some research regarding canning safety on your own - but please don't bother to yell at me.
I'm no longer watching this thread.

O Rly? Delicious canned bacon lasts over 10 years

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/bacon/c399/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim
It's cooked, dude. Big dif.

jrswanson1
* * *
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by jrswanson1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:21 am

JamesCannon wrote:
jrswanson1 wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:I know I'll be jumped on by folks who will can anything...
But I'm sorry, I must say it.

Bacon has far too much fat to be safe to can.

Ignore me, listen to me, do some research regarding canning safety on your own - but please don't bother to yell at me.
I'm no longer watching this thread.

O Rly? Delicious canned bacon lasts over 10 years

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/bacon/c399/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim
It's cooked, dude. Big dif.
From TFA:

"Our bacon arrived, and it was everything we had hoped for. We loved the fact that it was shelf stable, because, being off the grid, we have very limited refrigerator and freezer space. It was incredibly convenient, as it took only minutes to fry up for breakfast. And, because it was pre-cooked and canned, it was perfect for our long-term food storage goals. There were a few drawbacks, however. First, it was expensive. One case of 12 cans was roughly $120. It was in no way affordable for our large family. Secondly, the bacon, although tasty, was very thin, therefore extreme care had to be taken when removing it from the can and laying it on the griddle to cook. More often than not, we ended up with bacon chunks versus bacon strips."

As for the rest of the article, yeah, she didn't state how long it would last being bottled like that.

Jim

User avatar
JTNieman
* * * * *
Posts: 9409
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm
Location: Greater STL Area

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by JTNieman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:26 am

jrswanson1 wrote:
From TFA:

"Our bacon arrived, and it was everything we had hoped for. We loved the fact that it was shelf stable, because, being off the grid, we have very limited refrigerator and freezer space. It was incredibly convenient, as it took only minutes to fry up for breakfast. And, because it was pre-cooked and canned, it was perfect for our long-term food storage goals. There were a few drawbacks, however. First, it was expensive. One case of 12 cans was roughly $120. It was in no way affordable for our large family. Secondly, the bacon, although tasty, was very thin, therefore extreme care had to be taken when removing it from the can and laying it on the griddle to cook. More often than not, we ended up with bacon chunks versus bacon strips."

As for the rest of the article, yeah, she didn't state how long it would last being bottled like that.

Jim
Yea... that's the canned bacon they sampled before hand that you quote. Not the bacon they -made- later on. Their method was putting raw bacon into their jars and pressure canning them. This means -all- the original fat goes into the jar. The pre-cooked bacon from the "shelf-stable" marketed products are pre cooked, and thus devoid of the majority of the fat as it is surely drained as it cooks off - because no one would want to see the globular solids of grease/fat in a jar when they open a can to eat delicious bacon treats.

Brewguy
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by Brewguy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:46 pm

JamesCannon wrote:
jrswanson1 wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:I know I'll be jumped on by folks who will can anything...
But I'm sorry, I must say it.

Bacon has far too much fat to be safe to can.

Ignore me, listen to me, do some research regarding canning safety on your own - but please don't bother to yell at me.
I'm no longer watching this thread.

O Rly? Delicious canned bacon lasts over 10 years

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/bacon/c399/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim
It's cooked, dude. Big dif.
this is cooked, it is pressure canned for 90 minutes. Thats 240 degrees for 90 minutes, it will be fully cooked. Same way we can deer and other meats. I'm also not sure why the fat would have an effect on shelf life? Other meats are good for several years, seems bacon would be as well.

User avatar
JTNieman
* * * * *
Posts: 9409
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm
Location: Greater STL Area

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by JTNieman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:52 pm

Brewguy wrote: this is cooked, it is pressure canned for 90 minutes. Thats 240 degrees for 90 minutes, it will be fully cooked. Same way we can deer and other meats. I'm also not sure why the fat would have an effect on shelf life? Other meats are good for several years, seems bacon would be as well.
yea, but from what I can tell, the other stuff is cooked, then put in a can. Which means most of the fat and oil is gone. The OP's link shows raw bacon being put in a jar, which means -all- the fat is put in.

Commercial products rely heavily on preservatives and salts to extend shelf life. Putting raw bacon in a jar does not. One of the ways food spoils is by going -rancid- which is the oxidation of fat. I can only assume that would be a larger threat, the more fat you have?

Brewguy
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by Brewguy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:37 pm

JamesCannon wrote:
yea, but from what I can tell, the other stuff is cooked, then put in a can. Which means most of the fat and oil is gone. The OP's link shows raw bacon being put in a jar, which means -all- the fat is put in.

Commercial products rely heavily on preservatives and salts to extend shelf life. Putting raw bacon in a jar does not. One of the ways food spoils is by going -rancid- which is the oxidation of fat. I can only assume that would be a larger threat, the more fat you have?
I don't know about the fat thing and going rancid, in the canning process isn't most or all the oxygen pushed out of the jars?

All the meats we can are done raw, I don't think that would have any impact on shelf life, except for possibly the extra fat.

I did read that botulism might be a concern due to the fat insulating it. This is why they say to not can butter. Although I've read a lot of conflicting things about the butter.

I guess this is one of those things where you'll never really know the answer, there are lots and lots of people canning butter yet it is said to not be safe, they all don't get sick but that doesn't mean it won't happen eventually.

User avatar
CaptBrainFreeze
* * * * *
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:17 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake) Hide and Creep
Night of the Living Dead (original)
Location: Mountains of East TN

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by CaptBrainFreeze » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:48 am

I'm with Granny on this one, I will not can a high fat meat. Most meat I would rather smoke/dry the meat.
Capt BrainFreeze
DrthTater wrote:
CaptBrainFreeze wrote:That's it....no more clicking on Zombie Squad member youtube links.
Did you miss the dinosaur porn thread?
squinty wrote:I'm not sure how many licks it takes to get high off fake rice, though. The world may never know.

stressrelief 28.5
*
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by stressrelief 28.5 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 am

My family has canned bacon and sausage for as long as I can remember and no one ever got sick.The way they did it was fry it out and place into jar, fill with the grease and put on your jar lids and rings.I have eaten it up to 3 years later with no problems.Poor folks have poor ways on Poor days.

User avatar
AgentBlack
* * * * *
Posts: 2530
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:00 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.
Location: NC

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by AgentBlack » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:31 pm

stressrelief 28.5 wrote:My family has canned bacon and sausage for as long as I can remember and no one ever got sick.The way they did it was fry it out and place into jar, fill with the grease and put on your jar lids and rings.I have eaten it up to 3 years later with no problems.Poor folks have poor ways on Poor days.
Wait, wait, wait.....what??
say that again slowly for us dumb kids.
You fry the bacon. Put the cooked bacon in the jar. Then fill the jar with bacon grease? Then put on the lids. Then what? Did you pressure cook the jars with the grease inside? How did you get the bacon back out once the grease was cold?
“Blessed be God, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.”
Psalms 144;1

stressrelief 28.5
*
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by stressrelief 28.5 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:30 am

AgentBlack wrote:
stressrelief 28.5 wrote:My family has canned bacon and sausage for as long as I can remember and no one ever got sick.The way they did it was fry it out and place into jar, fill with the grease and put on your jar lids and rings.I have eaten it up to 3 years later with no problems.Poor folks have poor ways on Poor days.
Wait, wait, wait.....what??
say that again slowly for us dumb kids.
You fry the bacon. Put the cooked bacon in the jar. Then fill the jar with bacon grease? Then put on the lids. Then what? Did you pressure cook the jars with the grease inside? How did you get the bacon back out once the grease was cold?
Yes it was pressure cooked....Ok I would have thought that would have been easy to figure out.You could set it in the hot water container we had on the wood stove, or remove the lid and sit it in the oven where the biscuits was baking.I guess I am a little older that most of you and you never were around a wood cook stove..There was always hot water going as it had a heating area just for that.We were raised to figure things like that out for our selves.

User avatar
Necrodamus
* * * * *
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 10:11 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by Necrodamus » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:46 am

My family canned sausage a lot and as I recall they didnt even pressure cook them.
After the jar was filled with sausage and then grease it was sealed with parrafin wax so there was no oxygen contacting the meat or grease.

They used the wax method a lot because it could be saved and reused, no need for lids and rings.
I really wish I had paid more attention when I was young.
stressrelief 28.5 wrote:Poor folks have ingenious ways on Poor days.
There fixed that for you!

And yeah my grandmother had a wood cook stove too!
Always kept water on it to keep the humidity in the house up.
I cant remember ever being in her kitchen and not breaking a sweat! :lol:

stressrelief 28.5
*
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by stressrelief 28.5 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:36 am

Necrodamus wrote:My family canned sausage a lot and as I recall they didnt even pressure cook them.
After the jar was filled with sausage and then grease it was sealed with parrafin wax so there was no oxygen contacting the meat or grease.

They used the wax method a lot because it could be saved and reused, no need for lids and rings.
I really wish I had paid more attention when I was young.
stressrelief 28.5 wrote:Poor folks have ingenious ways on Poor days.
There fixed that for you!

And yeah my grandmother had a wood cook stove too!
Always kept water on it to keep the humidity in the house up.
I cant remember ever being in her kitchen and not breaking a sweat! :lol:
Did you ever taste anything she cooked that wasnt Great????

User avatar
Necrodamus
* * * * *
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 10:11 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by Necrodamus » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:40 am

No I didnt!

She still cooked her own hominy.
They grew it then boiled the husk off in lye in a large cast iron pot over a fire in the yard.

stressrelief 28.5
*
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Canned Bacon at Home!!

Post by stressrelief 28.5 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:15 am

Necrodamus wrote:No I didnt!

She still cooked her own hominy.
They grew it then boiled the husk off in lye in a large cast iron pot over a fire in the yard.
I love me some hominy..

Post Reply

Return to “Eats and Drinks”