DIY MRE's/Ration packs: SHOW US YOURS!

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

WhoShotJR

Re: DIY MRE's/Ration packs: SHOW US YOURS!

Post by WhoShotJR » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:22 am

molawns wrote:WhoShotJR...The vanilla MRE dairyshakes are fantastic. The ones that the Epicenter is carrying is not part of the recall. These are new ones not affected.

Hope that helps.

That does help, thanks. These are definitely going in my next order from them.

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Bump. Okay, who's going to post pictures?

acingram

Post by acingram » Sun May 15, 2011 8:13 pm

It is definitely important to have high caloric, high carbohydrate/high protein foods available when surviving. When I went through AF survival school, we had used a myriad of techniques for sustinence. Eating high carbohydrates earlier in the day gives you the energy you will need for the random bursts of running and/or defense against a zombie that snuck up on you. High protein at night will help repair the muscles used throughout the day. It is also wise to bring iodine tablets to help purify water. You may not have a dasani vending machine available at every corner, so you may need to procure your own water, and the last thing you want is to get eaten by a zombie because you had extreme bubble guts due to a parasite in your water! The iodine tablets don't taste great but you get used to them after a while, and mixing them with gatorade packets help with the taste and supply you with important electrolytes. Water is essential and vital to survival! Never ever ration your water! Food may have to be foraged for too if you are not willing to risk walking into dark, abandoned grocery store or if you live in a rural area. If the Zombie Disease/infection/uprising does not affect plants and animals, you will have to use that advantage. Using your environment is essential for survival. You can eat almost any type of animal, but there are certain things to beware of. Stay away from animals that are scavengers/carrion eaters i.e. raccoons, seagulls...these animals can not only carry terrible diseases but also carry a plethora of bacteria that can make you very sick. Animals that are much bigger than you will also be difficult if you do not have a weapon, and even if you do, you will only be able to eat so much of it and the smell of a fresh carcus will attract a lot of unwanted attention from other animals, potentially zombies and maybe even other humans that you may not want to find you. A good rule of thumb is to look for any animal that you can kick away from you if your hunting attack didn't go quite as planned haha. Such as squirrels, rabbits, ducks, fish, etc. It is very easy to create a small snare or fishing line with a piece of wire and string. Insects are a great source of protein and don't require much effort to catch; search for grubs, beetles and grasshoppers. Ants taste like lemon drops! Stay away from spiders and any insect with more that 6 legs. As for plants, if you do not know if it is edible, you should probably not eat it. Always stay away from plants with milky sap, and any type of ivy. Majority of milky sap plants are posenious/harmful to humans. Also stay away from ALL mushrooms, no matter how familiar they may look. For people without extented survival training or flora training, stay away from berries too unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure that the berry is edible. If you are not 100% sure don't even TOUCH it, much less put it anywhere near your mouth. There are no "rhyming tricks" to remember which berries to eat...and some extremely toxic berries can look a lot like your typical blueberry when you are starving and you have nothing to compare it to! Look for recognizable fruit trees like apples, pears, peaches, oranges, etc, cattails, seeds such as acorns, and grass. Don't worry, if this doesn't sound appetizing to you now just wait about 3 days after your last nutty choco granola bar and folgers insta-coffee...you will be all over a delicious squirrel/worm kabob! haha

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Mon May 16, 2011 9:52 am

acingram wrote:*a whole bunch*
Thanks for the write up. I think the Home made MRE thread was meant more for meeting short term food needs, such as hiking or sustainment while leaving a disaster area. There are a lot of interesting and creative ideas for field stipping MRE's, making home made FIRST STRIKE's, etc, and augmenting them to meet particular dietary requirements or preferences. (children, vegan, etc). Short of opening up my own nation-state, I do not see a reasonable method for planning to eat, long term, from cases of field rations. Welcome to ZS, maybe you could start a thread about things you learned in the Airforce, like water collection in the field when you don't have a commercial filter, or snaring, prepping, and cooking small game?
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

jackpine
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead

Post by jackpine » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:51 pm

actually I just shot a video of one of my ready made food boxes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ywp5fKyC8

rather than tie up this thread I'll start another on how this works out
If it's not loaded it's just a rock in your pocket.

iridium

Post by iridium » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Hmm this is a great idea. I work about an hour from home and carpool. I had a few field stripped MREs in my bag but packing one of these "home made MRES" would certainly add to the food stash. Great ideas.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:39 pm

i gonna watch that tread closely
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:19 am

Thanks for the inspiring ideas, gang. My son and I are always on the hunt for new homemade mre ingredients!
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:50 pm

For those of you looking for the squeeze pouch of applesauce, they were selling them at Wally World for a little under a buck each. I found a case of 12 of them at Costco just recently for much cheaper than that. I really don't remember how much they were, to be honest. :oops:

Just thought I'd throw that out there for those trying to make one like the FSR. The applesauce with the spout is a good addition - they can be sucked down with no utensils. I bought a case to distribute into the V2.0 version of these meals that I plan to roll out for camping season. I'll probably ditch the MRE fruit pack and put in two of these.

TheFishinMagician

Post by TheFishinMagician » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Apollo-11 wrote:For those of you looking for the squeeze pouch of applesauce, they were selling them at Wally World for a little under a buck each. I found a case of 12 of them at Costco just recently for much cheaper than that. I really don't remember how much they were, to be honest. :oops:

Just thought I'd throw that out there for those trying to make one like the FSR. The applesauce with the spout is a good addition - they can be sucked down with no utensils. I bought a case to distribute into the V2.0 version of these meals that I plan to roll out for camping season. I'll probably ditch the MRE fruit pack and put in two of these.

...Or you can get the real thing. Theepicenter.com is currently selling the original FSR fortified applesauce pouches (formerly known as "Zapplesauce"). The applesauce is fortified with maltodextrin...a complex carbohydrate for long-term energy.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

azurehill1

Post by azurehill1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:05 am

Here's my issue, and I don't mean to offend anyone, because these are all very nice store bought MRE knock offs. I have been looking everywhere for "Homemade/ DIY MRE's" and all I can find is store bought knock offs. Has anyone ever tried to MAKE from scratch your own MRE's? I mean make some awesome Chilli or something and then pressure can it in a mylar bag? I am trying it but I would really like help, and someone to bounce ideas off of. I found 1 youtube video and it failed to seal properly. I know it can be done because you can buy MRE's.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:33 pm

azurehill1 wrote:Here's my issue, and I don't mean to offend anyone, because these are all very nice store bought MRE knock offs. I have been looking everywhere for "Homemade/ DIY MRE's" and all I can find is store bought knock offs. Has anyone ever tried to MAKE from scratch your own MRE's? I mean make some awesome Chilli or something and then pressure can it in a mylar bag? I am trying it but I would really like help, and someone to bounce ideas off of. I found 1 youtube video and it failed to seal properly. I know it can be done because you can buy MRE's.
That would be... awesome. Mylar might require special equipment, but you could definitely box the chili (thinking of the boxes of Stagg I've seen) with a heated rolling tool and a little heat activated sealant on the seam.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

stabnshoot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead (Original and Remake)
Shaun of the Dead
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later

Post by stabnshoot » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:00 am

Dogan wrote:
azurehill1 wrote:Here's my issue, and I don't mean to offend anyone, because these are all very nice store bought MRE knock offs. I have been looking everywhere for "Homemade/ DIY MRE's" and all I can find is store bought knock offs. Has anyone ever tried to MAKE from scratch your own MRE's? I mean make some awesome Chilli or something and then pressure can it in a mylar bag? I am trying it but I would really like help, and someone to bounce ideas off of. I found 1 youtube video and it failed to seal properly. I know it can be done because you can buy MRE's.
That would be... awesome. Mylar might require special equipment, but you could definitely box the chili (thinking of the boxes of Stagg I've seen) with a heated rolling tool and a little heat activated sealant on the seam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXz8ZT9O4mI&hd=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTSrwzjETJw&hd=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately it does require some seriously expensive equipment to process. Usually you spend about $880-$1,000 for a low end chamber vacuum sealer with dual seal bars. Other than foodsaver bags, there really isn't a cheap method to making your own MRE style entrees.

For some reason unknown to me, a retort pouch must have the pressure applied to the outside of the container instead of sucked out of the inside. Apparently if you try and conventionally seal a retort pouch with a food saver, there's a good chance it will explode when you go to pressure cook it.

Psycosis

Post by Psycosis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:13 am

I'm liking this concept.

Tagged for future reference and projects.

sjolly75
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by sjolly75 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:49 am

Tagged. Good stuff!
EMCS(SW)
US Navy, Retired

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:13 pm

I'm just taking up a post so I can reference this later on.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Are the MRE heaters each a one-time use? For emergency kit rations (as opposed to hiking rations) would it just be better to have a sterno or alcohol stove you can heat cans, mugs, and little pots with or the MRE heaters? Everything in my ration plans can be consumed without heating, but it sure would be nice to have hot matcha and some hot meals. With a family of six, though, it would behoove us to minimize space requirements and a reusable heat source may be preferable for us if the MRE heaters aren't reusable.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:43 am

Once the chemical reaction happens, they are done.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:11 pm

I use a ziploc bags to hold most of my stuff. I also carry the commercial Planter mix, in the resealable bag.
The Ziploc bag shown has 4 Clif bars, 4 of the dry Cup of Soup mixes with the 6 oz (there is a large 19 oz bag as well) of the Planters Trail Mix and 4 each 1.5 oz 'Jif to Go' peanut butter cups sitting next to the cup/pot set used to brew up the items.
Freeze dry coffee, sugar and teabags sit in the pot with compass, matches and such.
Not shown is an MRE beverage bag with 2 cups of Minute Rice. The rice can be 'cooked in the bag' or added to the soup+peanut butter meal. A second beverage bag holds 2 cups of Fast Oatmeal - which can be cooked in the bag or not.
Rinse, repeat.

Much of this food can be heated with a variety of stoves, or put in the beverage bag and heated with an MRE heater. By not putting everything in one bag, I think I gain some flexibility for stowage.

Normally, I carry a Trangia knock off with a modified Esbit stove as an alternate. Warm food isn't just a luxury here, it can be the difference between hypothermia or not.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:31 am

Quick heads up, saw these at Wally World the other day:
Shelf stable, fully cooked tinned Tilapia. Not gonna lie, after a long day in the woods some hot teri tilapia and instant pasta or rice sounds damn good.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:29 am

If you like those, the dollar store has these.
Canned in Georgia.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:05 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:If you like those, the dollar store has these.
Canned in Georgia.
Going to have to check those out too, thanks!

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:01 am

Apollo-11 wrote:
sigboy40 wrote: The Sigboy First Strike Rations!
Apple Sauce
I finally found these squeezable applesauce packets at my local Wally World for 77 cents each. They are tasty. Unfortunately they are a bit small. The ones I found only had an expiration date 6 months out, but I doubt that the expiration will be a problem. The only listed ingredients are apples and apple juice concentrate, and undoubtedly they were sealed, then cooked in the package, and are sterile. So they will probably live a really, really long time. I will keep my eyes peeled for some later expiration dates, though...
These applesauce pouches are really easy to find from multiple brands nowadays and my kids (they're older kids, not little bits anymore) still think they are just the awesomest thing. They are bothered that I make them eat applesauce out of a jar when there's no emergency going on while these sit in our emergency gear. They really love when they get close to expiration and they get to eat applesauce out of a pouch! I agree with you that they are a bit small. I'd like to see a manufacturer come out with a larger pouch. For now, I consider a serving two of these.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:55 pm

Anianna wrote: I'd like to see a manufacturer come out with a larger pouch. For now, I consider a serving two of these.
First thought: Zapplesauce, 4.5 ounce pouch.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”