DIY MRE's/Ration packs: SHOW US YOURS!

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Apollo-11

Re: DIY MRE's/Ration packs: SHOW US YOURS!

Post by Apollo-11 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:12 am

Tagged for later.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:45 pm

After a bit of delay, they are finally done.
The Sigboy First Strike Rations!
I was going for a ration pack that would allow me to have the ability to eat it completely on the move. No cooking is required for these meals.
I built three different models, one that is completely MRE with a five year shelf life and has 1800 calories. The second is 1850 calories, is a mix of items and has a one year shelf life. The third has 1260 calories and is a bit lighter then the others.
All MRE Sigboy FSR:
MRE Sandwich Honey BBQ Chicken
Pretzels
Cheese Nips
Raisins
Cranberries
Nut Raisin Mix
Spice Pound Cake
Oatmeal Cookie

MRE Italian Sandwich
Nut Raisin mix
Raisins
Fruit leather
Apple Sauce
Jerky
Power Bar
Spice Cake
Cheese Nips

MRE Italian Sandwich
Nut Raisin Mix
Raisins
Fruit Leather
Jerky
Payday Bar
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:46 am

Excellent, sigboy. Here's the one going in my GHB.

24 Hour+ Ration, based on the First Strike Ration
Approx 2 lbs 13 oz.
3 year expiration date desired. TBD.
Approx 3000+ calories.
Zero prep, except for hot drinks.
Everything except the fruit pouch and the drinks can be eaten with no utensils.

The outer bag is vacuum packed, then there is a ziplock bag inside it for additional abrasion and puncture resistance. Plus, once you open the outer bag, you can reseal the meal in the ziplock bag or use it for water. I plan to add 4 individually wrapped water purification tablets (chlorine dioxide) to each meal.

Drinks and condiments, including two accessory packs with coffee, a spoon, a chocolate hazelnut mocha, a squincher, a raspberry drink mix, and a pack of Stay Alert caffeinated gum.

Tuna, tortilla wraps, and mayo (2).

A pop tart, a cinnamon roll, nut raisin mix, a dessert bar, and two power bars.

Crackers, jalapeno cheese spread, mixed fruit, flameless ration heater, honey BBQ chicken sandwich, and two Jack Links meat and cheese packets.
Last edited by Apollo-11 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:41 am

Apollo-11 wrote:Excellent, sigboy. Here's the one going in my GHB.

24 Hour+ Ration, based on the First Strike Ration
Approx 2 lbs 13 oz.
3 year expiration date.
Approx 3000+ calories.
Zero prep, except for hot drinks.
Everything except the fruit pouch and the drinks can be eaten with no utensils.
Apollo, yours look good as well. It reminded me that I meant to put them in a ziplock first, but I forgot, oh well, always next time. I need to eat some of this stuff down before I place another order.
My only question is how you figure your shelf life at three years. Your jerky and powerbars will be less then a year. everything else should be in good shape.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:37 pm

Oddly enough, those meat and cheese sticks and the mayo packets were only thing in there that didn't come out of an MRE. So I just pulled the 3 year shelf life out of my ass. :lol: But you are correct! I will have to pull those out of there or eat them in a year.

The MRE version of the beef jerky is inside of a brown pouch, then you open it up and the commercial wrapper is inside. Same for the pop tarts, and several of the power bars / ranger bars, these days. I wonder if they are getting the additional lifespan out of the brown outer pouch, or if they put another O2 absorber in the pouch. I do know that the MRE beef jerky is vacuum packed in both the commercial wrapper and again vacuum packed in the MRE pouch. (shrug...)

I had some commercial knockoff MREs that had a generic Nutri Grain bar in there, with no special wrapper over the commercial wrapper. I ate them when they were 8 years old, and they were a little stale but they were fine. I wouldn't do that with a meat/cheese product, of course. These will get used up and rotated far before that time, though... Since I found that a lot of my very oldest MREs (1980s/1990s) were heat stressed and getting old, I have started keeping track of the date codes and rotating them, and eating them on normal camping trips well before they get old.

Edit: I should point out that theepicenter.com carries both the MRE fat free mayo and the MRE tortillas, if you want to do your own wraps. The MRE mayo is said to have a good long shelf life, compared to the little commercial packets. They also carry the Bridgford sandwiches. No affiliation, etc.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:00 pm

I am already there on the MRE tortillas, I ordered a dozen on my last order from The Epicenter.

I believe that the additional MRE shelf life comes from the additional layer of packaging and the irridation process that kills off all the extra bugs that may try and grow later. But seeing as how I dont have any radioactive cobalt around, I am left with all our usual options for shelf life.

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:48 am

Apollo-11 and sigboy40, you guys have inspired me to put together my own First Strike(ish) rations packs. I really like what you guys have done.

The Observer

Post by The Observer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:04 pm

So I would LOVE to have an MRE type setup for a GHB I am making but I'm running into an ever present problem in that I'm very allergic to peanuts. This right away cuts out pretty much every pre-made MRE in the world and also severely limits "quick" items in a home made kit. I was wondering if anyone else has the same situation and how you get around it?

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Slick. Post pics! Always looking for new ideas.

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:17 pm

The Observer wrote:So I would LOVE to have an MRE type setup for a GHB I am making but I'm running into an ever present problem in that I'm very allergic to peanuts. This right away cuts out pretty much every pre-made MRE in the world and also severely limits "quick" items in a home made kit. I was wondering if anyone else has the same situation and how you get around it?
Hmmm. Let's see. You can do rice, ramen, tuna fish, chicken in a pouch, oatmeal, raisins and dried fruit, and a host of other things like pilot bread with cheese spread, jerky and cheese... Are you allergic to anything else, like tree nuts? You MAY be able to get some granola-type bars with no peanuts, or make them yourself if you are not confident in their ingredients. Just like making your own jerky. Then vacuum pack them.

If you really just need some filler to add calories, consider the liferaft rations to supplement the above. They keep forever and are pretty good as a snack. I wouldn't use it as my sole source of food because, well, I like variety. But it wouldn't be bad as a supplement. If you want to try some variety, the guys who make the Mainstay life raft rations have several different flavors that come in a 400 calorie "candy bar" type wrapper instead of a brick. See here: http://www.longlifefood.com/Desserts/products/1042/ (scroll to the bottom) <--- These guys also sell individual MRE entress, side dishes, and all kinds of stuff. There is a lot of variety on there that have no peanuts. You don't have to buy complete MREs. (And, if you look around, you should be able to find ingredients lists for the MRE components and avoid anything that will be a problem. They are really serious about only putting the listed ingredients into the food.) You can also look around at the aforementioned site, http://www.theepicenter.com which is not really easy to navigate, but they have a lot of MRE components. I'd personally go for the Bridgford BBQ beef or chicken sandwiches, or the tuna and tortilla wraps.

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:35 am

sigboy40 wrote: The Sigboy First Strike Rations!
Apple Sauce
I finally found these squeezable applesauce packets at my local Wally World for 77 cents each. They are tasty. Unfortunately they are a bit small. The ones I found only had an expiration date 6 months out, but I doubt that the expiration will be a problem. The only listed ingredients are apples and apple juice concentrate, and undoubtedly they were sealed, then cooked in the package, and are sterile. So they will probably live a really, really long time. I will keep my eyes peeled for some later expiration dates, though...

cadillactattoo
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, Sean of the dead , zombieland , 28 days/ weeks later

Post by cadillactattoo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:29 am

damn it now im hungry , might have to rotate some snacks out of my bag

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks for the tip about epi-center guys, the kids and I have been looking for the individual tortilla shells for a year now. We pack our own "camping meals" for hiking trips (2-3 day) that look a lot like Sigboys FSR's. They consist mainly of the commercial stuff you have listed already, no MRE components. Buuuuuuutttttt when my 7 year old saw the milkshake in a pouch he offered to trade his allowance this week for a couple. Other things we add include Idahoan instant mashed potato pouches. You can add hot water to the package and stir, eating them right from the container. My oldest son also likes BumbleBee barbecue chicken fillet (he's not a big tuna fan) but I have trouble finding these anyplace locally. We stock up when we come across them.

Has anybody tried the MRE buffalo chicken? Other than the easier preparation, how does it compare to the Mountain House version?
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:00 am

VXMerlinXV wrote:Buuuuuuutttttt when my 7 year old saw the milkshake in a pouch he offered to trade his allowance this week for a couple.

Nice, I'd never seen those. Has anyone tried the vanilla milkshake?

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:03 am

I made this while noodling around with the FoodSaver today
Foodsaver Ration Pack:
3 servings meat (salmon, beef jerky, spam)
1 cup peanuts
1 cup raisins
2 granola bars
2 clif bars
8 hard candies
1 5-hour energy shot
It's all shelf stable, vacuum-sealed with an oxygen absorber, and ready to come along in a car or GHB or camping trip...it weighs a bit more than a pound, and would easily feed me for an active day...let's see what other ZSNYers can produce for a day's ration!

Jamie - nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:05 am

I've been loving my Foodsaver, and also noodling with the website nutritiondata.com...I'm putting the two together today to make a light and tight Z-Ration pack:

1.75 cups of dry-roasted peanuts
0.75 cup of dark chocolate M&Ms
0.75 cup of raisins

per http://nutritiondata.self.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2562 calories
52g protein
270g carbohydrate
157g fat

I have trouble imagining a cheaper, smaller, lighter, more nutritious package...

Jamie - nfa

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:53 am

WhoShotJR wrote:
VXMerlinXV wrote:Buuuuuuutttttt when my 7 year old saw the milkshake in a pouch he offered to trade his allowance this week for a couple.

The MRE dairy shakes have been the subject of a long-running recall between (I think) 2006-2009

Do not use them. Destroy on sight.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:42 pm

crypto wrote:
WhoShotJR wrote:

The MRE dairy shakes have been the subject of a long-running recall between (I think) 2006-2009

A child's dreams crushed...
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:43 pm

VXMerlinXV wrote:
crypto wrote:
WhoShotJR wrote:

A child's dreams crushed...
All you have to do is go to MRE info and check the dates. Or....(why do i plug them so much?) Order them from http://www.theepicenter.com and get them fresh.
MRE Vanilla Dairy Shakes!
Add 6 ounces of water and shake. That's it!
17 grams of protein!
Sold in 12 packs only.
MRE Dairy Shakes (12 pack, $0.99 each). Price $11.88

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

rhunter1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake)

Post by rhunter1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:48 pm

nfa wrote:Image
0.75 cup of raisins

...clip...

I have trouble imagining a cheaper, smaller, lighter, more nutritious package...

Jamie - nfa
As long as it's not 3 days of that I think it's a good idea. I'd suggest packing that in a ziplock though because once you get your temporary fill of the mix you'll need a way to seal it back up for the rest of the day.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:50 pm

rhunter1 wrote:
nfa wrote:Image
0.75 cup of raisins

...clip...

Jamie - nfa
As long as it's not 3 days of that I think it's a good idea. I'd suggest packing that in a ziplock though because once you get your temporary fill of the mix you'll need a way to seal it back up for the rest of the day.
(Psst! I think that might be a zipplock in there, folded up in the lower left corner. :wink: )
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:15 pm

it is a ziplock

j

rhunter1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake)

Post by rhunter1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:18 pm

nfa wrote:it is a ziplock

j
Carry on then :D

TheFishinMagician

Post by TheFishinMagician » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:29 pm

VXMerlinXV...The buffalo chicken is just meh...Not bad for shelf stable, but it's not gourmet by any stretch of the imagination. The Mountain House Buffalo Chicken Wrap filling is better.

WhoShotJR...The vanilla MRE dairyshakes are fantastic. The ones that the Epicenter is carrying is not part of the recall. These are new ones not affected.

Hope that helps.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

Return to “Eats and Drinks”