DIY MRE's/Ration packs: SHOW US YOURS!

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Re: DIY MRE's/Ration packs: SHOW US YOURS!

Post by sheddi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Hare are four semi-random 12-month-or-more shelf-life foodstuffs I plucked from the storecupboard (when I should've been doing something more productive) so I could contribute to this thread:

Belvita breakfast biscuits (ie. cookies): 300g, 1350 calories. Good for lunch too!
John West basmati rice: 250g, 422 calories.
LWWF chicken korma: 250g, 320 calories.
Nescafe instant white coffee with sugar (x7): 126g, 518 calories.

That's a total of 926g (just under 33 oz) and 2610 calories.

I wanted to include some pate (for lunch, instead of the whole pack of Belvita) but I couldn't find any smaller packs of crackers in the cupboard, and pate-with-cookies really didn't sound appetising!
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:58 pm

Since I posted too this thread earlier, I've upped my game a bit.

Chow in bag - I won't be quite as hungry now...

SPAM single slice in pouch x4 w soy sauce packets
Oatmeal, instant x 8 with sugar and dry 'creamer'
Soup, dry, chicken noodle x8
Jif to Go, peanut butter x 2
Breakfast bars, 4 bars to package x 4 package
Clif bars x 9
MRE meal – meatballs & tortillas, peanut butter pouch, mixed nuts – x1
Energy bars – x2
MRE beverage bags with 3 cups Minute Rice (total)
Coffee dry x 4
Tea bags x 8

Possible menu – Day 1
Breakfast **Oatmeal (1 cup) + coffee or tea
Lunch **Clif bar x 2, Drink mix
Dinner **SPAM, diced, boiled in chicken soup to heat with ¾ cup rice, green tea
--
Day 2
Breakfast **Oatmeal (1 cup) and coffee or tea
Lunch **Clif bar x 2, drink mix
Dinner **SPAM, diced, boiled in chicken soup, w/ ¾ cup rice, with peanut butter mixed for more calories & fat, tea. While may sound nasty, I find it tasty. As the advert used to say - Try it, you may like it.
__
Day 3
Breakfast **Breakfast bars, 1 pkg, coffee or tea
Lunch **Clif bar, Breakfast bars, 1 pkg, tea
Dinner **Meatballs in sauce, tortillas with peanut butter, drink mix
--
Day 4
Breakfast **Oatmeal (1 cup), coffee or tea
Lunch **Clif bar, peanut butter pouch, drink mix
Dinner **SPAM with 1.5 cups rice, soy sauce,

"extra food"
Clif bars x 5
Oatmeal, ½ cup packets x 2
Breakfast bars x 2 pkg
Energy bars x 2

Before anyone chines in....
Yes, this isn't 2500 Cal /day
Yes, this isn't balanced for correct nutrition
Yes, you can do better/organic/whatever

And - Yes, it is cheap, takes up minimal space, requires little if any fuel to prepare and minimal cleanup. I'm trying to offer an alternative to what many choose - lifeboat rations and water....
Everybody gets to make their own choices, YMMV.

Esbit stove, canteen cup and water not shown.

Dinner is served!

and all stacked up...

Also, in the past I have noted using Ziploc bags for heating and eating. I need to advise that SC Johnson has (now) stated on their website that ONLY Ziploc® brand Freezer and Storage Bags should be used for cooking (boil in bag). Using the regular bags as a bowl liner should pose no issues.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:01 pm

TacAir wrote:I'm trying to offer an alternative to what many choose - lifeboat rations and water ...
Very true. I've got a couple of bricks of NRG-5 rations, but nothing this earnest German guy does to them makes them look particularly appetising. Maybe that's why they last so long, you'll eat anything else first!

Note: in German, but the visuals are strong.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:58 pm

sheddi wrote:
TacAir wrote:I'm trying to offer an alternative to what many choose - lifeboat rations and water ...
Very true. I've got a couple of bricks of NRG-5 rations, but nothing this earnest German guy does to them makes them look particularly appetising. Maybe that's why they last so long, you'll eat anything else first!

Note: in German, but the visuals are strong.
Lifeboat rations are supposed to look/taste nasty. At least the .mil rats IIRC, that way nobody will be tempted to nosh on them in advance of need.... (shudder)

and folks tell me my peanut butter and chicken soup sounds nasty... they haven't eaten any of the oily LBR out there.

Thanks for the video...different, to say the least.

EMEUTIER
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Resident Evil Series

Post by EMEUTIER » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:45 am

I have seen some interesting choices that you guys have used for your MRE/Ration packs but I have a problem with creating my own, maybe some of you could help me with some advice.

Being that I live in Australia, the majority of the foods that i see in your pics are not available here and I even cant seem to find any similar products AFAIK.
The only product that I could find in the local supermarkets similar to some of your items was the Safcol Tuna pouches:

Also, have any of you chosen the products due to having long used-by dates?

Due to the somewhat limited choices that I can seem to find locally (I also could be looking in the wrong areas too) I looked online for MRE packages that are sold within australia and found these Hungerbuster packs, found here: http://www.kitbag.com.au/products/24hr- ... 000Kj.html

Could I get a few opinions from the ZS guys of this pack? They seem to look OK but the addition of the "Instant Noodles" seems to me to be a strange choice for a "MRE" styled pack.
To JoergSprave on YouTube, Tproa wrote: Sir, I tip my hat to you --- slowly, and without any sudden movement....

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:35 pm

I wish it were easier to find rations like these that are gluten-free.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:54 pm

Anianna wrote:I wish it were easier to find rations like these that are gluten-free.
How do you feel about Indian food? There are a number of companies that make ready to eat Indian dishes in a retort pouch. Usually a little high on sodium, but most have no wheat products. I checked before posting this and I do see they aren't certified gluten free, probably because they're prepared in facilities/with equipment that also processes wheat.

Tasty Bite is probably the best known brand. I think their Channa Masala is delicious. http://www.amazon.com/Tasty-Bite-Natura ... 140%2C160_

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:08 pm

EMEUTIER wrote:I have seen some interesting choices that you guys have used for your MRE/Ration packs but I have a problem with creating my own, maybe some of you could help me with some advice.

Being that I live in Australia, the majority of the foods that i see in your pics are not available here and I even cant seem to find any similar products AFAIK.
The only product that I could find in the local supermarkets similar to some of your items was the Safcol Tuna pouches:

Also, have any of you chosen the products due to having long used-by dates?

Due to the somewhat limited choices that I can seem to find locally (I also could be looking in the wrong areas too) I looked online for MRE packages that are sold within australia and found these Hungerbuster packs, found here: http://www.kitbag.com.au/products/24hr- ... 000Kj.html

Could I get a few opinions from the ZS guys of this pack? They seem to look OK but the addition of the "Instant Noodles" seems to me to be a strange choice for a "MRE" styled pack.
$44 AuD for one day's chow??? OMG, and thought it was expensive to live in Alaska...

How about
Vegemite
Arnott's Vita-Weat Original
La Zuppa - serveral types of pouch and microwave soups - as well as Campbell Chunky
McKenzie's soups - also in pouch
Heinz - all manner of canned pasta and beans.
Ainsley Harriot Lentils Dahl 150g packets
Continental Deb Potato Instant Mashed
Edgell Potato Tiny Taters - also many kinds of tinned vegeis
Tom Piper Sausages & Vegetables - and other meat/veggie combos, looks like good stuff on this
Mug Shot Heat & Serve Chicken & Sweetcorn - several other Mugshots - better than romin
St Dalfour Fish Gourmet Salmon With Vegetables

Just looking at Woolworth's on-line offerings, I'd say you have a lot of good choices....

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:33 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Anianna wrote:I wish it were easier to find rations like these that are gluten-free.
How do you feel about Indian food? There are a number of companies that make ready to eat Indian dishes in a retort pouch. Usually a little high on sodium, but most have no wheat products. I checked before posting this and I do see they aren't certified gluten free, probably because they're prepared in facilities/with equipment that also processes wheat.

Tasty Bite is probably the best known brand. I think their Channa Masala is delicious. http://www.amazon.com/Tasty-Bite-Natura ... 140%2C160_
Is that spicy? I have some damage that makes me very sensitive to spicy food. If it's not too spicy, I'll give it a try. My current go-to packaged foods are pretty much tuna (nix the crackers), Doritos, and applesauce at this point.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Return to “Eats and Drinks”