Egg questions, from silly city boy

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Egg questions, from silly city boy

Post by maldon007 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:11 am

So, I loves me some eggs, and I have been told eggs will do just fine unrefrigerated. So Im wondering if hard boiled eggs, that didnt crack in the cooking, would work for a hiking/bug out food? That is, if you could pack them in a way that protected them somewhat, etc. Also, weather hard boiled or uncooked, would hot weather cause them to expire quicker than "sitting out" inside the pantry, or other place that is A/C cooled?

Confucius

Re: Egg questions, from silly city boy

Post by Confucius » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:17 am

maldon007 wrote:So, I loves me some eggs, and I have been told eggs will do just fine unrefrigerated. So Im wondering if hard boiled eggs, that didnt crack in the cooking, would work for a hiking/bug out food? That is, if you could pack them in a way that protected them somewhat, etc. Also, weather hard boiled or uncooked, would hot weather cause them to expire quicker than "sitting out" inside the pantry, or other place that is A/C cooled?
For hard boiled eggs, I've had some that were unrefrigerated for probably about 30 hours, I'm not sure how long they'd last though.

As far as uncooked eggs, yeah, the warmer they are stored, they faster they are going to go bad. Under the sink is usually a good place.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:50 am

Fresh eggs that have not been washed(as in straight from the chicken's ass) will keep unrefrigerated for 30 days or more if kept cool... You can get an additional 60 days out of them by coating in Vaseline. That's an old sailors trick... Grease em up and stick em in the bilges.

I have gone a couple days with hard boiled eggs without getting sick... Maybe somebody has better info on cooked eggs?
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 am

I've done hard boiled eggs first day of hike (kept in a x6 plastic egg holder in pack). Kept them in a cooler for longer than that during car-camping but I have no experience in anything longer.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:21 am

Unrefrigerated, I'd give raw eggs maybe three days before expecting them to be going off. Boiling them would stabilize them for maybe a week, but if they looked or smelled bad on the inside, I wouldn't go there. Might look into storing them under water glass if you need a long-term solution that doesn't involve refrigeration.

Egg yolks and whites lose water much faster unrefrigerated, which you can use to make boiled fresh eggs much easier to peel. If you ever need hard-boiled eggs and only have very fresh eggs, leave them out overnight or for a day and a half and they will peel much more easily. I hate peeling eggs and watching the white come off with the shell. :evil:
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:21 pm

No seriously... in a cool place you can get 30 days out of raw unwashed shell eggs. the keys here are cool and unwashed. The egg has a coating on it from momma hen that seals it like a varnish. the sailors trick of coating in Vaseline is to replace or extend the "varnish" so they are not exposed to air. I have done both with no ill effects when I was doing yacht transfers after I got out of the uscg. Of course you do get an occasional baddie out of the bunch so it pays to break an egg into a separate bowl to check, before adding to other food.

Getting eggs from a good source is key to this technique, as eggs at the supermarket are commonly 4 to 6 weeks old before you ever see them. If you want to store for travel go to an egg ranch and get the freshest possible eggs.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:34 pm

Mother Earth News did a test some time ago about storing eggs.

LINK
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

arrowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Location: Riding Shotgun on the Bang Bus out of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by arrowolf » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:48 pm

Store 'em in a sodium silicate (water glass) solution.

http://www.storeitfoods.com/page/waterglass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Every cloud has a silver lining. Except the mushroom-shaped ones which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium-90.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Would probably keep for a day or two until you opened them.

mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:31 pm

I get flats of like 5 dozen eggs from the grocery store, and just keep them on the cabinet shelf for a couple-3 weeks while I eat them all. They've all been just fine. Gonna go make some now, in fact! :P
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

michelle
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by michelle » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:33 am

I agree with the bulk of information above. Uncooked (and unwashed) eggs are good for quite some time on the cool shelf. Cooked eggs have the protective coating removed, though, and only last a couple days or so (depending on the temperature).
a deviant path is the only way
:sk

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:48 am

BigDaddyTX wrote:Would probably keep for a day or two until you opened them.

YUK! DONT!
I tried these once, they have the distinct taste of plastic!
The bag contained a dozen, I ate half of one and threw the rest out.
I HATE WASTING FOOD! So this was an extreme for me.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”