It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:00 pm 

I love this site... At least once a month, I say to myself- "Hmmm, I wonder about [pick a topic]?" and within a week, it pops up on here :lol:

Thanks Merovech, and all the rest. Time to get rid of my burned, warped, crappy aluminum junk.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:24 pm 

I just snagged a perfect griswold #5 at a local antique shop for $12, look around, there's a ton floating around randomly. I need a Dutch oven next.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:16 pm 

maldon007 wrote:
I love this site... At least once a month, I say to myself- "Hmmm, I wonder about [pick a topic]?" and within a week, it pops up on here :lol:

Thanks Merovech, and all the rest. Time to get rid of my burned, warped, crappy aluminum junk.

I absolutely LOVE my little #3 Wagner skillets for camping.

the 6 inch cooking surface is just about perfect, it doesn't weigh a whole hell of a ton for being cast iron, and they are cheap enough to replace every few years of camp fire use.

Honestly, I am really happy this thread has gotten some mileage, I wasn't at all convinced it wouldn't just die right after I posted... it was a pleasant surprise.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:30 am 

Merovech wrote:
maldon007 wrote:
Honestly, I am really happy this thread has gotten some mileage, I wasn't at all convinced it wouldn't just die right after I posted... it was a pleasant surprise.

Cast iron pans are a great prep item, and a great topic. I'm trying to work a small frying pan into my INCH kit right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:13 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Posting in here because Mom just gave me the cast iron skillet I grew up with. She said she hardly used it anymore, and was hoping I could get some more mileage out of it. It's a very well seasoned Wagner skillet.

Now I just need to figure out what I want to cook in it first, lol!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:03 pm 

Pondo_Sinatra wrote:
Posting in here because Mom just gave me the cast iron skillet I grew up with. She said she hardly used it anymore, and was hoping I could get some more mileage out of it. It's a very well seasoned Wagner skillet.

My Vote is for Fried Chicken.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:29 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Merovech wrote:
Pondo_Sinatra wrote:

I like the way you think!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:43 pm 

Pondo_Sinatra wrote:
Merovech wrote:
Pondo_Sinatra wrote:

I am inspired, I think I will do the same tonight. Might make mine coconut fried chicken though... hrm...

Quote:
Merovech's Fried Chicken

4 boneless Chickenbreasts, each cut in two, longways.
1 Iron skillet (10 or 12 inch) filled with a quarter inch of canola oil (mixed with a spoonful of bacon grease) on fry heat but not too high that it spatters.

1 Bowl of half a cup of milk, mixed/whipped with two eggs.

1 large bowl of the following all mixed up:
Flour 2 cups.
Pinch of ground cloves
4 Tablespoons of chili powder
large pinch of curry powder
Large pinch of ground ginger
3 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 table spoon of garlic powder with parsley
Large Pinch of salt
Large pinch of pepper

Take chicken breast halves, dip in milk/eggs, then dip in the power mixture, you can do this multiple times for thicker crust.

Fry to your desired crispiness.

Thats gonna be my dinner tonight :)

Last edited by Merovech on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Merovech wrote:
Pondo_Sinatra wrote:
Merovech wrote:
Pondo_Sinatra wrote:

I am inspired, I think I will do the same tonight. Might make mine coconut fried chicken though... hrm...

Quote:
Merovech's Fried Chicken

4 boneless Chickenbreasts, each cut in two, longways.
1 Iron skillet (10 or 12 inch) filled with a quarter inch of canola oil (mixed with a spoonful of bacon grease) on fry heat but not too high that it spatters.

1 Bowl of half a cup of milk, mixed/whipped with two eggs.

1 large bowl of the following all mixed up:
Flour 2 cups.
Pinch of ground cloves
4 Tablespoons of chili powder
large pinch of curry powder
1 table spoon of garlic powder (the one with the green leaves in it too)
Large Pinch of salt
Large pinch of pepper

Take chicken breast halves, dip in milk/eggs, then dip in the power mixture, you can do this multiple times for thicker crust.

Fry to your desired crispiness.

Thats gonna be my dinner tonight :)

I seriously thought you were all cool till I read this.....

Posts like this result in either sharing some of it with the rest of us.... or.....

MAKE A BATCH AT ZOMBIECON 2011. :mrgreen:

(failure in doing so, may make me hungry and cranky in which a snickers will not do. :mrgreen: )

*even the wise man dwells in a fool's paradise

Survived ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon X
Survived ZombieCon X
Stayed toasty warm at ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon Twenty Eleven
Barely survived ZombieCon 2011

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:32 am 

drewder wrote:
:mrgreen: )[/size]

Now I just have to be an ass! :lol: :lol: :lol:

All Three of my main pans getting used... the two smaller ones are E-Bay treasures... the larger one was my great grandmothers. The Small #3 is rather new getting solidly seasoned/used a bit to go in my camp bag.

Cleaned with hot water, oiled, dried and stacked...

Im gonna be a big nerd and post a picture of my dinner tonight as well, as the 'results' picture :)

I just changed the recipe a bit to show what I actually did, I forgot an ingredient with the original post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:26 pm 

I have some new Lodge stuff (a wok, a dutch oven, and a grill pan) but my iron skillet is actually one that my parents used to use over a fire for years, and they got it from who knows where, and it was used then. I have a lot of cast iron at my house but my apartment stuff is more limited.

The bottom of the old skillet is awfully pitted. I took it because it was the worst one in the house and I was going to use it as I move around apartments for a few years due to college. Once I scrubbed off the rust and reseasoned with PAM and the oven, it was working fine. Several uses later and it's ideal.

As far as the new stuff, I haven't had any trouble with Lodge despite the rougher interior surface. The grill pan works particularly well for salmon, though I wouldn't bug out with it. If outdoors, and with a bike trailer, I'd take the dutch oven and skillet in a heartbeat.

"Hey, you'd be surprised how many things that works on!"
“Yes, that IS a thousand rounds in my pocket, AND I’m happy to see you!”: The advantage of the .22lr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:01 pm 

My personal favorite pan is from Cousances. It is enameled and glorious. Very similar to this: Image

As mentioned earlier, modern makers do not match this level of quality.LINK, for more info on Cousances.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:33 am 

Grant wrote:
Once I scrubbed off the rust and reseasoned with PAM and the oven, it was working fine. Several uses later and it's ideal.

That's why cast iron is so awesome. You can't ruin it even if you try, and it heats so evenly as to be almost perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:47 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I am about ready to cry... Sniff sniff... My son (12) decided to cook something, and through the "help" of my daughter(21), who consistently destroys my kitchen, managed to melt a plastic measuring cup into my best antique 12" iron fry pan... :( :(

Any suggestions on getting the thin layer of plastic out of the pan? The season is obviously completely shot...

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:52 pm 

Dawgboy wrote:
I am about ready to cry... Sniff sniff... My son (12) decided to cook something, and through the "help" of my daughter(21), who consistently destroys my kitchen, managed to melt a plastic measuring cup into my best antique 12" iron fry pan... :( :(

Any suggestions on getting the thin layer of plastic out of the pan? The season is obviously completely shot...

Dont cry, I just caught my 4 year old feeding my 18 month old crayons... it can always be worse :)

Put your Skillet in the freezer, deep freeze if you have one. (Make sure the pan is not hot when you put it in)

The cold should make the plastic brittle and you can chip it off.

The other option would be heat. warm enough to make it peel off, but not hot enough to melt the plastic and make even more of a mess...

Those are the two I would try.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:09 pm 

If the freezing doesn't work (I'm betting it will) you can just sand down the bottom of the pan, you'll have to reseason, but you're headed there anyway. Don't worry, it's not ruined.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:20 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I was lucky enough to be there and ran the pan outside and flipped most of the molten plastic into the snow with a spatula. I will try the freeze method... I might get lucky since it had a good season in it... He also burned up 2 brand new hot pads that she had lazily thrown in my nice clean pan... I cannot express how happy I am that she is moving to South Carolina in a few days. So done with her destroying my house and then giving me lip...

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:36 pm 

if you still have plastic on it when summer gets here,
put it on the grill or camp fire outside and burn it off, then scrape the charred plastic with a wire brush and burn that off,
that method gets off almost anything, just can't be done inside and you do have to re season it then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:55 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

i bought my wife one from sportsmans guide. a 12" Pre-seasoned pan, and she immediately stripped it down and reseasoned it the way she was taught as a child and she LOVES it! she wants me to buy more of them so she can have all different sizes.

I remember my mom taking out her old 14 incher every satuirday to make BBQ sandwhiches. every week she would make it and everytime it got better. after all these years i could never get the same taste untill she gave me hers. she said it was nana cora's pan that she bought when she immigrated to the states in the first decade of the 1900's. apparently it was te first thing they could afford when they moved here. so 100 + years later it is still in the family and will continue to get passed down

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:15 pm 

spacecase0 wrote:
if you still have plastic on it when summer gets here,
put it on the grill or camp fire outside and burn it off, then scrape the charred plastic with a wire brush and burn that off,
that method gets off almost anything, just can't be done inside and you do have to re season it then.

That is what I do. I have bought some skillets that had crud and other things in them. I just get a good bed of coals going on the grill, lay the skillet in there upside down and leave it till the next day. The stuff is burnt to a crisp and it will easily chip out with a spatula or a wire wheel.
I like to season the same way. Get it good and hot on the grill, slather it down with bacon grease, repeating every hour will the coals get cool.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:28 am 

Hm, I never really cooked with CI because it seemed so heavy and needy but I might get myself a small one (or perhaps an enameled one, do those work as well)?

Thing is I'm asian so I cook fish (becuase it's totally the LAW that you have to do that when you're asian :wink: ) and I'm wondering if the fishiness might flavor some of the other foods I'm cooking. Mackrel + bacon might send me heaving. Perhaps if I pursue CI cookware I should invest in a "fish only" skillet?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:17 pm 
BANNED

Dawgboy wrote:
I was lucky enough to be there and ran the pan outside and flipped most of the molten plastic into the snow with a spatula. I will try the freeze method... I might get lucky since it had a good season in it... He also burned up 2 brand new hot pads that she had lazily thrown in my nice clean pan... I cannot express how happy I am that she is moving to South Carolina in a few days. So done with her destroying my house and then giving me lip...

I recently had this happen at work. A guy was cooking a sirloin on an open burner, and was using one of our smaller iron pans to seal in the heat. We often use this method when someone orders their steak "Pittsburgh" or "black and blue", basically charred on the outside, and rare inside. What we dont normally do is take the hot pan and put it into a dishwasher tray hot as hell.

I took a metal spatula and scraped it all out. well 90% of it. i then boiled water in it for about a half hour. Just to be sure, I put it on an open burner upside down, and got it as hot as it had been when it touched the plastic. Grabbed it by the handle, put a drizzle of water in it, and wiped it out with a mop of paper towels. came clean.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:18 pm 
BANNED

Kind of amused to see pics of pans. I was recently told to "shoo away, and get back in the kitchen", so i will, and will take some pics of our old standbys tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:59 pm 

ScottAW wrote:
I just snagged a perfect griswold #5 at a local antique shop for $12, look around, there's a ton floating around randomly. I need a Dutch oven next.

Picked up a really nice #8 from freecycle. Just posted an ad saying I wanted old cast iron pans to try and clean up and some awesome lady gave me her old Griswold. She said it had mouse turds in it, but there was no rust. Cleaned it and re-seasoned it and it's my favorite pan. She also gave me a little 5-inch pan with no name on it but it seems pretty decent. I also just got an Emerilware 10 inch grilling pan for 10 bucks on craigslist. Only used it once so far to make some bacon and get it nice and greasy, but it looks like it should be pretty good for making steaks and chicken. I need a smaller dutch oven as well, mine is huge so I don't use it nearly enough.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next