It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:00 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:49 am
Posts: 4097
Location: Pickle Bucket Brigade
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
I love this site... At least once a month, I say to myself- "Hmmm, I wonder about [pick a topic]?" and within a week, it pops up on here :lol:


Thanks Merovech, and all the rest. Time to get rid of my burned, warped, crappy aluminum junk.

_________________
Image


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:24 pm 
Offline
* *

Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:44 pm
Posts: 153
Location: State College, PA, USA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I just snagged a perfect griswold #5 at a local antique shop for $12, look around, there's a ton floating around randomly. I need a Dutch oven next.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:16 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:32 pm
Posts: 1458
Location: USDA Zone 7a
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 17 times
maldon007 wrote:
I love this site... At least once a month, I say to myself- "Hmmm, I wonder about [pick a topic]?" and within a week, it pops up on here :lol:


Thanks Merovech, and all the rest. Time to get rid of my burned, warped, crappy aluminum junk.


I absolutely LOVE my little #3 Wagner skillets for camping.

the 6 inch cooking surface is just about perfect, it doesn't weigh a whole hell of a ton for being cast iron, and they are cheap enough to replace every few years of camp fire use.

Honestly, I am really happy this thread has gotten some mileage, I wasn't at all convinced it wouldn't just die right after I posted... it was a pleasant surprise.

_________________
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:30 am 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:26 pm
Posts: 1562
Location: OTP Atlanta
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times
Merovech wrote:
maldon007 wrote:
Honestly, I am really happy this thread has gotten some mileage, I wasn't at all convinced it wouldn't just die right after I posted... it was a pleasant surprise.



Cast iron pans are a great prep item, and a great topic. I'm trying to work a small frying pan into my INCH kit right now.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:13 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:13 pm
Posts: 2209
Location: Not where I want to be...
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Posting in here because Mom just gave me the cast iron skillet I grew up with. She said she hardly used it anymore, and was hoping I could get some more mileage out of it. It's a very well seasoned Wagner skillet.

Now I just need to figure out what I want to cook in it first, lol!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:03 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:32 pm
Posts: 1458
Location: USDA Zone 7a
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Pondo_Sinatra wrote:
Posting in here because Mom just gave me the cast iron skillet I grew up with. She said she hardly used it anymore, and was hoping I could get some more mileage out of it. It's a very well seasoned Wagner skillet.

Now I just need to figure out what I want to cook in it first, lol!


My Vote is for Fried Chicken.

_________________
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:29 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:13 pm
Posts: 2209
Location: Not where I want to be...
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Merovech wrote:
Pondo_Sinatra wrote:
Posting in here because Mom just gave me the cast iron skillet I grew up with. She said she hardly used it anymore, and was hoping I could get some more mileage out of it. It's a very well seasoned Wagner skillet.

Now I just need to figure out what I want to cook in it first, lol!


My Vote is for Fried Chicken.


I like the way you think!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:43 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:32 pm
Posts: 1458
Location: USDA Zone 7a
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Pondo_Sinatra wrote:
Merovech wrote:
Pondo_Sinatra wrote:
Posting in here because Mom just gave me the cast iron skillet I grew up with. She said she hardly used it anymore, and was hoping I could get some more mileage out of it. It's a very well seasoned Wagner skillet.

Now I just need to figure out what I want to cook in it first, lol!


My Vote is for Fried Chicken.


I like the way you think!


I am inspired, I think I will do the same tonight. Might make mine coconut fried chicken though... hrm...

Quote:
Merovech's Fried Chicken

4 boneless Chickenbreasts, each cut in two, longways.
1 Iron skillet (10 or 12 inch) filled with a quarter inch of canola oil (mixed with a spoonful of bacon grease) on fry heat but not too high that it spatters.

1 Bowl of half a cup of milk, mixed/whipped with two eggs.

1 large bowl of the following all mixed up:
Flour 2 cups.
Pinch of ground cloves
4 Tablespoons of chili powder
large pinch of curry powder
Large pinch of ground ginger
3 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 table spoon of garlic powder with parsley
Large Pinch of salt
Large pinch of pepper

Take chicken breast halves, dip in milk/eggs, then dip in the power mixture, you can do this multiple times for thicker crust.

Fry to your desired crispiness.


Thats gonna be my dinner tonight :)

_________________
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj


Last edited by Merovech on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 am 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:41 am
Posts: 601
Location: STL, MO
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Merovech wrote:
Pondo_Sinatra wrote:
Merovech wrote:
Pondo_Sinatra wrote:
Posting in here because Mom just gave me the cast iron skillet I grew up with. She said she hardly used it anymore, and was hoping I could get some more mileage out of it. It's a very well seasoned Wagner skillet.

Now I just need to figure out what I want to cook in it first, lol!


My Vote is for Fried Chicken.


I like the way you think!


I am inspired, I think I will do the same tonight. Might make mine coconut fried chicken though... hrm...

Quote:
Merovech's Fried Chicken

4 boneless Chickenbreasts, each cut in two, longways.
1 Iron skillet (10 or 12 inch) filled with a quarter inch of canola oil (mixed with a spoonful of bacon grease) on fry heat but not too high that it spatters.

1 Bowl of half a cup of milk, mixed/whipped with two eggs.

1 large bowl of the following all mixed up:
Flour 2 cups.
Pinch of ground cloves
4 Tablespoons of chili powder
large pinch of curry powder
1 table spoon of garlic powder (the one with the green leaves in it too)
Large Pinch of salt
Large pinch of pepper

Take chicken breast halves, dip in milk/eggs, then dip in the power mixture, you can do this multiple times for thicker crust.

Fry to your desired crispiness.


Thats gonna be my dinner tonight :)




I seriously thought you were all cool till I read this.....










Posts like this result in either sharing some of it with the rest of us.... or.....








MAKE A BATCH AT ZOMBIECON 2011. :mrgreen:


(failure in doing so, may make me hungry and cranky in which a snickers will not do. :mrgreen: )

_________________
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

*even the wise man dwells in a fool's paradise

Survived ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon X
Survived ZombieCon X
Stayed toasty warm at ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon Twenty Eleven
Barely survived ZombieCon 2011

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:32 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:32 pm
Posts: 1458
Location: USDA Zone 7a
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 17 times
drewder wrote:
:mrgreen: )[/size]


Now I just have to be an ass! :lol: :lol: :lol:

All Three of my main pans getting used... the two smaller ones are E-Bay treasures... the larger one was my great grandmothers. The Small #3 is rather new getting solidly seasoned/used a bit to go in my camp bag.
Image

Cleaned with hot water, oiled, dried and stacked...
Image

Im gonna be a big nerd and post a picture of my dinner tonight as well, as the 'results' picture :)
Image

I just changed the recipe a bit to show what I actually did, I forgot an ingredient with the original post.

_________________
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:26 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:00 pm
Posts: 629
Location: The swamps of NC!
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I have some new Lodge stuff (a wok, a dutch oven, and a grill pan) but my iron skillet is actually one that my parents used to use over a fire for years, and they got it from who knows where, and it was used then. I have a lot of cast iron at my house but my apartment stuff is more limited.

The bottom of the old skillet is awfully pitted. I took it because it was the worst one in the house and I was going to use it as I move around apartments for a few years due to college. Once I scrubbed off the rust and reseasoned with PAM and the oven, it was working fine. Several uses later and it's ideal.

As far as the new stuff, I haven't had any trouble with Lodge despite the rougher interior surface. The grill pan works particularly well for salmon, though I wouldn't bug out with it. If outdoors, and with a bike trailer, I'd take the dutch oven and skillet in a heartbeat.

_________________
"Headshots...headshots...Do you know how to do anything else?!"

"Hey, you'd be surprised how many things that works on!"
* * *
“Yes, that IS a thousand rounds in my pocket, AND I’m happy to see you!”: The advantage of the .22lr


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:01 pm 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:08 pm
Posts: 25
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
My personal favorite pan is from Cousances. It is enameled and glorious. Very similar to this: Image

As mentioned earlier, modern makers do not match this level of quality.LINK, for more info on Cousances.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:33 am 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:59 pm
Posts: 669
Location: Madison, WI
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Grant wrote:
Once I scrubbed off the rust and reseasoned with PAM and the oven, it was working fine. Several uses later and it's ideal.


That's why cast iron is so awesome. You can't ruin it even if you try, and it heats so evenly as to be almost perfect.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:47 pm 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:35 am
Posts: 3070
Location: San Diego, CA
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 19 times
I am about ready to cry... Sniff sniff... My son (12) decided to cook something, and through the "help" of my daughter(21), who consistently destroys my kitchen, managed to melt a plastic measuring cup into my best antique 12" iron fry pan... :( :(

Any suggestions on getting the thin layer of plastic out of the pan? The season is obviously completely shot...

_________________
shrapnel wrote:
Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.


[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:52 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:32 pm
Posts: 1458
Location: USDA Zone 7a
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Dawgboy wrote:
I am about ready to cry... Sniff sniff... My son (12) decided to cook something, and through the "help" of my daughter(21), who consistently destroys my kitchen, managed to melt a plastic measuring cup into my best antique 12" iron fry pan... :( :(

Any suggestions on getting the thin layer of plastic out of the pan? The season is obviously completely shot...



Dont cry, I just caught my 4 year old feeding my 18 month old crayons... it can always be worse :)

Put your Skillet in the freezer, deep freeze if you have one. (Make sure the pan is not hot when you put it in)

The cold should make the plastic brittle and you can chip it off.

The other option would be heat. warm enough to make it peel off, but not hot enough to melt the plastic and make even more of a mess...

Those are the two I would try.

_________________
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:09 pm 
Offline
* *

Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:44 pm
Posts: 153
Location: State College, PA, USA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
If the freezing doesn't work (I'm betting it will) you can just sand down the bottom of the pan, you'll have to reseason, but you're headed there anyway. Don't worry, it's not ruined.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:20 pm 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:35 am
Posts: 3070
Location: San Diego, CA
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 19 times
I was lucky enough to be there and ran the pan outside and flipped most of the molten plastic into the snow with a spatula. I will try the freeze method... I might get lucky since it had a good season in it... He also burned up 2 brand new hot pads that she had lazily thrown in my nice clean pan... I cannot express how happy I am that she is moving to South Carolina in a few days. So done with her destroying my house and then giving me lip...

_________________
shrapnel wrote:
Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.


[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:36 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:42 pm
Posts: 1304
Location: usually Earth
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
if you still have plastic on it when summer gets here,
put it on the grill or camp fire outside and burn it off, then scrape the charred plastic with a wire brush and burn that off,
that method gets off almost anything, just can't be done inside and you do have to re season it then.

_________________
"1911, AK, corn bread, red/blue wire neutral"
people in america still like to pretend they are free, the day they know they are not, they will stop pretending


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:55 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:15 am
Posts: 2806
Location: Coastal area of Georgia (Ludowici)
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times
i bought my wife one from sportsmans guide. a 12" Pre-seasoned pan, and she immediately stripped it down and reseasoned it the way she was taught as a child and she LOVES it! she wants me to buy more of them so she can have all different sizes.

I remember my mom taking out her old 14 incher every satuirday to make BBQ sandwhiches. every week she would make it and everytime it got better. after all these years i could never get the same taste untill she gave me hers. she said it was nana cora's pan that she bought when she immigrated to the states in the first decade of the 1900's. apparently it was te first thing they could afford when they moved here. so 100 + years later it is still in the family and will continue to get passed down

_________________
2008 F-250 6.4 Powerstroke -Zombie Squad fleet number ZS0149
Owner of Zombie Diesel Performance
"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:15 pm 
Offline
* * *

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:16 pm
Posts: 559
Location: SoKY
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
spacecase0 wrote:
if you still have plastic on it when summer gets here,
put it on the grill or camp fire outside and burn it off, then scrape the charred plastic with a wire brush and burn that off,
that method gets off almost anything, just can't be done inside and you do have to re season it then.


That is what I do. I have bought some skillets that had crud and other things in them. I just get a good bed of coals going on the grill, lay the skillet in there upside down and leave it till the next day. The stuff is burnt to a crisp and it will easily chip out with a spatula or a wire wheel.
I like to season the same way. Get it good and hot on the grill, slather it down with bacon grease, repeating every hour will the coals get cool.

_________________
Welcome to Erf


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:28 am 
Offline
* *

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:23 pm
Posts: 121
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Hm, I never really cooked with CI because it seemed so heavy and needy but I might get myself a small one (or perhaps an enameled one, do those work as well)?

Thing is I'm asian so I cook fish (becuase it's totally the LAW that you have to do that when you're asian :wink: ) and I'm wondering if the fishiness might flavor some of the other foods I'm cooking. Mackrel + bacon might send me heaving. Perhaps if I pursue CI cookware I should invest in a "fish only" skillet?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:17 pm 
Offline
BANNED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:58 pm
Posts: 586
Location: ADK NY
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Dawgboy wrote:
I was lucky enough to be there and ran the pan outside and flipped most of the molten plastic into the snow with a spatula. I will try the freeze method... I might get lucky since it had a good season in it... He also burned up 2 brand new hot pads that she had lazily thrown in my nice clean pan... I cannot express how happy I am that she is moving to South Carolina in a few days. So done with her destroying my house and then giving me lip...


I recently had this happen at work. A guy was cooking a sirloin on an open burner, and was using one of our smaller iron pans to seal in the heat. We often use this method when someone orders their steak "Pittsburgh" or "black and blue", basically charred on the outside, and rare inside. What we dont normally do is take the hot pan and put it into a dishwasher tray hot as hell.

I took a metal spatula and scraped it all out. well 90% of it. i then boiled water in it for about a half hour. Just to be sure, I put it on an open burner upside down, and got it as hot as it had been when it touched the plastic. Grabbed it by the handle, put a drizzle of water in it, and wiped it out with a mop of paper towels. came clean.

_________________
FEED YOUR WOLVES WISELY! "The best battle rifle ever made is the FAL bar none".


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:18 pm 
Offline
BANNED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:58 pm
Posts: 586
Location: ADK NY
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Kind of amused to see pics of pans. I was recently told to "shoo away, and get back in the kitchen", so i will, and will take some pics of our old standbys tomorrow.

_________________
FEED YOUR WOLVES WISELY! "The best battle rifle ever made is the FAL bar none".


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:59 pm 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:37 am
Posts: 52
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
ScottAW wrote:
I just snagged a perfect griswold #5 at a local antique shop for $12, look around, there's a ton floating around randomly. I need a Dutch oven next.

Picked up a really nice #8 from freecycle. Just posted an ad saying I wanted old cast iron pans to try and clean up and some awesome lady gave me her old Griswold. She said it had mouse turds in it, but there was no rust. Cleaned it and re-seasoned it and it's my favorite pan. She also gave me a little 5-inch pan with no name on it but it seems pretty decent. I also just got an Emerilware 10 inch grilling pan for 10 bucks on craigslist. Only used it once so far to make some bacon and get it nice and greasy, but it looks like it should be pretty good for making steaks and chicken. I need a smaller dutch oven as well, mine is huge so I don't use it nearly enough.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group