Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond.

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Merovech

Re: Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond.

Post by Merovech » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:16 am

manowar1313 wrote:I know I love my cast iron pans. I have a friend who works at salvation army so when they get pans that are "to bad to sell" they give them to me for cheap and I use them as iron targets for my .22's. Great targets on the cheap.
BURN THE HERETIC! :vmad: :evil:
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:27 am

To be honest, pans that have had the handles chewed off by porcupines* really have little resale value.

*Yes, they do that.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:31 am

ZombieGranny wrote:To be honest, pans that have had the handles chewed off by porcupines* really have little resale value.

*Yes, they do that.
I was kidding... but damn Granny, thats just weird. :rofl:

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:39 am

I know. :lol:

I remember the first time we had that happen. Gnawed it clean off. (My understanding is they go after handles because the salt from human hands gets ground into them.)
We'd just moved to the woods when I was 4 and still had things scattered around the property.

Believe me, DON'T get body parts anywhere near a porcupine's teeth.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:02 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:I know. :lol:

I remember the first time we had that happen. Gnawed it clean off. (My understanding is they go after handles because the salt from human hands gets ground into them.)
We'd just moved to the woods when I was 4 and still had things scattered around the property.

Believe me, DON'T get body parts anywhere near a porcupine's teeth.
I was just doing a google image search on porcupine. I came across pictures of dogs that run ins with them. Yikes! :shock: Porcupines are no joke. I can only imagine what their teeth can do if they can gnaw off a cast iron pan handle.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:12 pm

This thread deserves a bump :)

I've got a single cast iron skillet, an 8" Aaron Sanchez branded one (don't judge, it was a TK Maxx bargain!) that gets occasional use on the stove-top. It's enamelled on the outside so I'm reluctant to take it out of the house and use it on an open fire. However I'm now looking to buy a 6", bare iron, "beater" skillet to use when camping.

A question about enamelled cast iron cookware. I sometimes see this with damaged enamel available for not-very-much. Does anyone know if it's feasible to clean the enamel off (eg. with a wire wheel) and end up with a usable pan? Or is the enamel usually covering a scruffy surface?

If no-one knows I might suck it and see :)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:37 pm

The roomies and I solely cook on cast iron. We've got 3 8", 1 10", 1 12" and an assortment of smaller size and specialty pans. I bought a 6" cast iron for my pack when I camp and need to cook fish. I really want to get back into making aebleskiver with my cast iron pan, love those little treats. One many a Boy Scout cook off with those.

One of my roommates is Dutch so the running joke is if you need a Dutch oven call him. It's funny listening to him scream "F*CK YOU" when someone needs to borrow one. :clap: :awesome:
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:44 pm

Halfapint wrote:The roomies and I solely cook on cast iron. We've got 3 8", 1 10", 1 12" and an assortment of smaller size and specialty pans. I bought a 6" cast iron for my pack when I camp and need to cook fish. I really want to get back into making aebleskiver with my cast iron pan, love those little treats. One many a Boy Scout cook off with those.

One of my roommates is Dutch so the running joke is if you need a Dutch oven call him. It's funny listening to him scream "F*CK YOU" when someone needs to borrow one. :clap: :awesome:
With the exception of pots I only use cast iron. I have been making waffles quite a bit lately. One of these days I want an old school cast iron waffle iron. More specifically a griswold number 8. Unfortunately they can get a bit expensive. But given how rock solid cast iron is; I would only have to pay once. Are there any benefits to a cast iron dutch oven over other pots in a kitchen setting? They seem like a neat deal over a fire. But I am not sure about use in a kitchen over a gas stove. In the past I have been tempted to get an aebleskiver pan. I became intrigued after seeing a video on how to make Takoyaki. Those pans look like a nice alternative to an oven for making muffin like items. You could have some baked beans cooking in a Dutch oven and some cornbread in the aebleskiver. Yummy! :awesome:
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:49 pm

Standard Dutch ovens are dfferent than kitchen use ones. Standard have a lip on the lid to keep the charcoal on, and legs at the bottom. Those are AWESOME for camping. Between me, mom, and the roomies I count count how many true Dutch ovens we have. I think I personally have 3 sets (maybe ill foster one set to the 005 crew for out BO location).

We have 2 of the cast iron with ceramic coating Dutch ovens (kitchen use). I use them over a slow cooker because, well. I dunno I like it better? One thing I really like about them is that they aren't subject to heat fluctuations. It's not a big deal if you're cooking beans, but if you're cooking a cake or something it really Evens out the cooking.

I make my lunches for the week ahead of time and one of my favorites is a slow cooked (in a Dutch oven) pulled chicken with a hatch chilli base. 275 degrees for about 4-5 hours and it comes out perfectly moist and packed full of flavor.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:32 pm

In the canoe, for longer trips, I nearly always pack an old cast iron skillet. Add a zip lock bag of corn meal and some cayenne, and the All-Vegetable Crisco baking stick. Pure goodness will follow once we hit a stopping point for the night. Sometimes, a good sized catfish will produce a few crawfish or other edible items in its belly. Add it to the corn meal!
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:12 am

sheddi wrote:This thread deserves a bump :)

I've got a single cast iron skillet, an 8" Aaron Sanchez branded one (don't judge, it was a TK Maxx bargain!) that gets occasional use on the stove-top. It's enamelled on the outside so I'm reluctant to take it out of the house and use it on an open fire. However I'm now looking to buy a 6", bare iron, "beater" skillet to use when camping.

A question about enamelled cast iron cookware. I sometimes see this with damaged enamel available for not-very-much. Does anyone know if it's feasible to clean the enamel off (eg. with a wire wheel) and end up with a usable pan? Or is the enamel usually covering a scruffy surface?

If no-one knows I might suck it and see :)
Thanks for the Necro bump. I love this thread :)

I wouldn't bother trying to 'save' a CI pan from enamel. It really isn't worth the effort it would take to do it. I would just buy a new/used CI pan and leave the enamel one alone as is.

If you are going to use a beater skillet for camping, buy a Lodge, the iron is a bit thicker (Although not as fine), and you wont be out more than $20 when it warps from the camp fire to the point of unusability.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:30 pm

I am not certain about the UK equivalent of Goodwill (Salvation Army, Oxfam perhaps?) but used skillets can often be found in 2d hand stores. For altruistic and tax reasons, people in the U.S. tend to put a lot of stuff back into use by donating it.

In fact, I think it is time to make a visit to check out their book stack. I'll watch for a 6 inch skillet.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:04 am

Be careful buying old used Dutch ovens--- they may have been used to melt lead

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:09 am

Merovech wrote:If you are going to use a beater skillet for camping, buy a Lodge, the iron is a bit thicker (Although not as fine), and you wont be out more than $20 when it warps from the camp fire to the point of unusability.
I went for a budget generic 6" skillet. Since I was paying for postage anyway (about the same as the sticker price of the skillet!) I also bought a rectangular tray thing:

The skillet is noticeably paler than the tray, and has a distinctly rougher surface. The dark pattern on the skillet looks to be a casting artifact.

They arrived this morning and have been washed in hot soapy water (they were waxed at manufacture and this needed cleaning off), dried and oiled, and are in the oven seasoning at the moment. I'm hoping to cook bacon for lunch later :)
Asymetryczna wrote:I am not certain about the UK equivalent of Goodwill (Salvation Army, Oxfam perhaps?) but used skillets can often be found in 2d hand stores. For altruistic and tax reasons, people in the U.S. tend to put a lot of stuff back into use by donating it.
There's not the same tax breaks in the UK, and (around here at least) most charity shops seem to mosly sell used clothes and books. I'll keep an eye open all the same, I might get lucky!
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:44 am

After seasoning. The skillet has noticeably changed colour, the tray not so much.

The only thing I could possibly do next is cook some bacon :)

Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:39 pm

sheddi wrote:After seasoning. The skillet has noticeably changed colour, the tray not so much.

The only thing I could possibly do next is cook some bacon :)

Mm mm English bacon, miss that stuff. Where'd you buy the skillet and grill?

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:15 am

The bacon tasted as good as it looked :D

The cast iron came from these people:
http://www.warriorstoves.co.uk/

The company is based in Cornwall, not far from where I grew up, and started as a hardware store (http://warriorwarehouses.co.uk/). My Dad would take me there with him when I was a youngster!

I can't embed a Google map but I can share a link:
http://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Chap ... 08ff?hl=en
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

CG

Post by CG » Fri May 12, 2017 9:43 am

Necro thread, 'cause y'all are a bad influence. I started reading, and now instead of packing to leave tonight or studying for my test in 15 minutes, I have 3 skillets in the oven... :clap:
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat May 13, 2017 1:25 am

Still cooking on the cast iron everyday! Teaching the GF to cook and how to care for cast iorn!

Return to “Eats and Drinks”