Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond.

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Merovech

Re: Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond.

Post by Merovech » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Got this in the mail today, it is (I Think) Nickel covered Cast Iron... I need to do some research on it to make sure it is safe to use.

It should clean up VERY well.

What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:16 pm

Hey, how does sesame oil work for seasoning?
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:08 pm

edited
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:31 pm

This thread reminds me, I need a skillet to go with my Dutch Oven. (Which is a Lodge, and is working fine so far.)

I'm going to see if I can rescue one from a thrift store.

drktenchi
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead all three, Resident Evil, Zombie Strippers, Zombieland, Sean of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombie (1979)

Post by drktenchi » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:55 pm

Great post, I just bought some french shields and was a little aprehensive about how to season properly. Your post was just what I was looking for. French shields are suppose to be similar to cast iron, I grew up with CI but wanted to try these dual purpose pans. They are heavy duty 18 gauge carbon steel, commonly referred to as black pans or shields. They where used as shields in france, however if it ever comes to that I don't plan on having them strapped to my back as they did. :)
Drktenchi
Non teneas aurum totum quod splendet ut aurum

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:11 pm

I love cast iron, we have a few 10 inchers in our cabinet, one day I was digging in my moms cookwear and found one probably 14 or 16 inches...
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:58 pm

I have my Great Grandmother's Wagner wear Drip drop roaster and use it almost daily. Last thing in it was a Pork roast. I also have several 10" and a 14" Skillet. All are prized.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Pearl

Post by Pearl » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:36 am

Love my cast Iron and my Wagner ware: 6 skillets 2-6" the One egg special, 2-10" my favorites , 1-12" , 1-14" chicken fryer and 3 dutchies
But, 2 things
1. I have to cast a vote for Le Creuset (sp?) I love it and with Wagner having become a rarity at real world prices, If I have to spend a pretty penny I'd as soon expand into some of this equally great cook ware.

2. I just became the proud owner of an Elmira cookstove. $200 (Score !!). Can't find any cracks or prangs .... yeah.
B-U-T I will have to Re-Assemble it, as all the doors and burner covers and half a dozen other parts were removed and boxed to make it easier to move. Well, the folks that pulled this little trick never put it back together to use the stove.
Sooooo, I have a "stove in a basket" so to speak. Of course I will have a little rust to clean up, so before it comes home I plan,=> IF Y'all don't tell me different <=, to have it sand blasted or glass bead (gentler) blasted to really clean it and ensure all the rust is gone. I haven't noticed any pitting from the rust so I have high hopes for the final outcome.
BUT why am I posting a Stove story here?
It's because I'm really certain that if I want a truly wonderful and useable stove I will need to Season it once I have it cleaned and back together.
I was hoping to get some ideas about how to go about seasoning an entire cast iron stove. Just build a good fire and start oiling - let cool - remove excess oil - repeat??????????

Input please............

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:47 am

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

kahoots

Post by kahoots » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:56 am

This thread inspired me to fix up a cast iron skillet I bought in Quebec by the Vermont border. I took it home and left it for about a year or so and it did rust up pretty bad , but I knew with a little (ninja) elbow grease ;) I could bring it back from the dead.
Markings are:
Made in U.S.A.
NO. 8
10 5/8 IN

Before:

I used steel wool and I did have to use a bit of force for some areas. Scrub rinse, scrub rinse ..etc.
I used olive oil and had to reseason it 4 times for about 2-3 hours a pop at 450-500 degrees. First thing I cooked was fatty bacon a few times. After about 4-5 times cooking bacon I started using it for other things. After each use I rinse clean with water , wipe it down , and then put a few drops of olive oil and wipe it down. My tacos have never been tastier! Thx for the inspiration OP.

After:

Head Zombie (yelling): What do we want?!
Zombie clan: BRRRAAAAIIIIINNNNSSSSS!!!!
Head Zombie: When do we want it?!
Zombie clan: BRRRAAAAIIIIINNNNSSSSS!!!!

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:38 pm

This thread made my day. Cast iron on a wood stove, that's memories. Almost makes me want to add a few American skillets to my arsenal! Postage would likely kill me though.

I have a possible explanation to the no soap stance. At one time in my military career I was sent on an intensive course at the military chef school. Meant mostly so that the govt. could not be held liable when I killed myself from food poisoning. Anyhow it turned out that in order to get a qualified teacher they cancelled the vacation for the schools headmaster, who had to drive up in his camper and hold the course. Needless to say, he was not in his camper happy..

Well, during this rather exciting course he held a lengthy rageathon on cleaning pots and pans.

Apparently, if you have an old ironware you've inherited, the food you cook takes taste from everything cooked in it previously. Kind of like a secret sauce thing. Scrubbing out the metal finish without rust being the reason should, according to him, be on par with burning churches and cutting down old orchards.

In his opinion, not using soap helps your ironware to build up your own layer of secret sauce, giving your kids or grandkids their own memories of food they will never be able to replicate even though they get detailed instructions and everything.

I can definitely taste the difference when using my old, old inherited pots as opposed to my newer ones. I don't know if I'm as vehement about it as that old chef, but I see what he means. No soap for me.

The flipside is that I have always wondered how this is compatible with his stringent sanitary regime.
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
1. stern or severe in attitude or manner
2. grave, sober, or serious
3. self-disciplined, abstemious, or ascetic
4. severely simple or plain an austere design
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Sealegs wrote:This thread made my day. Cast iron on a wood stove, that's memories. Almost makes me want to add a few American skillets to my arsenal! Postage would likely kill me though.

I have a possible explanation to the no soap stance. At one time in my military career I was sent on an intensive course at the military chef school. Meant mostly so that the govt. could not be held liable when I killed myself from food poisoning. Anyhow it turned out that in order to get a qualified teacher they cancelled the vacation for the schools headmaster, who had to drive up in his camper and hold the course. Needless to say, he was not in his camper happy..

Well, during this rather exciting course he held a lengthy rageathon on cleaning pots and pans.

Apparently, if you have an old ironware you've inherited, the food you cook takes taste from everything cooked in it previously. Kind of like a secret sauce thing. Scrubbing out the metal finish without rust being the reason should, according to him, be on par with burning churches and cutting down old orchards.

In his opinion, not using soap helps your ironware to build up your own layer of secret sauce, giving your kids or grandkids their own memories of food they will never be able to replicate even though they get detailed instructions and everything.

I can definitely taste the difference when using my old, old inherited pots as opposed to my newer ones. I don't know if I'm as vehement about it as that old chef, but I see what he means. No soap for me.

The flipside is that I have always wondered how this is compatible with his stringent sanitary regime.
I was about to call you out and say that doesn't make any sense, but then I remembered I don't wash my coffee cup for the exact same reason.
Let he who is without quirks cast the first stone...

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:42 pm

:lol: I still wash my pots &pans, just not w. steel wool or soap. I guess it's lika sediment that builds up over time, giving it that thick black coat... Like your coffee cup!
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Sealegs wrote:Anyhow it turned out that in order to get a qualified teacher they cancelled the vacation for the schools headmaster, who had to drive up in his camper and hold the course. Needless to say, he was not in his camper happy..
In his defense, I'd have been a little testy, too, if Jim Henson and Frank Oz were winning Emmy Awards at my expense. :D
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:14 pm

FanaticalModerate wrote:
Sealegs wrote:Anyhow it turned out that in order to get a qualified teacher they cancelled the vacation for the schools headmaster, who had to drive up in his camper and hold the course. Needless to say, he was not in his camper happy..
In his defense, I'd have been a little testy, too, if Jim Henson and Frank Oz were winning Emmy Awards at my expense. :D
He was missing out on laying in the sun, drinking "beverages" and listening to the sports, so probably even testier than loosing out on an Emmy or two!
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:03 am

Here is my Great Grandmother's Wagner Ware Drip Drop Roaster #8. I am the 4th generation to use this pot and it means a lot to me. Last night was a chicken Roasted in it, In the oven. Chicken was oild an salted, and then rubbed with Cumin and Menudo Spices.

Cornbread is my "Cheesy Chili Cornbread" Which means standard cornbread but water replaced with milk, a can of diced green chilis, and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. There were no leftovers...

shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Grainman

Post by Grainman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:58 pm

I don't have any cast iron myself (though my dad uses some for camping), but I thought I'd share this account from Miss Esmee Sartorius, an English nurse in Belgium during WWI, on the subject of cleaning cast iron:
Miss Sartorius wrote:Food was getting beautifully less and less, meat very occasional, and we lived for the most part on beans and potatoes and soup made of the same, flavoured with many fryings in the frying-pan. This, by the way, got me into severe trouble with the old cook, Mme. Gustave, because when I, on night duty, had to warm up our scanty meal, washed and scoured the frying-pan, I was told next day that I had completely ruined the soup and beans for ever, as we now would never get enough meat or onions to bring back to flavour of so many fryings. I never heard the end of that flavouring.
Recorded in On the Front Line: True World War I Stories edited by C. B. Purdom, which is a great history book that's well worth reading. (This is the edition I have, but for some reason has Jon E. Lewis listed as the author even though his name is nowhere on the book itself)

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:43 pm

I'm wondering if that's why everything always tasted so good at my great grandmothers. She almost exclusively used cast iron, and everyone of them always looked glossy black and wet. Probably a few decades worth of seasoning in them.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:25 pm

I love my cast iron skillet, use it erryday. I just bought one from the hardware store a couple years ago when I first needed one. And I use olive oil with everything I cook these days (although I should pick up some bacon next grocery store visit :twisted: )
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:59 pm

FanaticalModerate wrote:

:lol: Good one. What is it with Swedish chefs and cast iron?

FWIW, I don't get too hung up on the whole soap-in-the-pan thing. Sometimes I'll just wipe my cast iron out, sometimes I'll scrub it a little. As long as you don't go apeshit it doesn't hurt things too bad.

I can't see any real reason, from a food-safety standpoint, to be overly concerned with pathogens lurking on unwashed cast iron cookware-- you're gonna get the thing up well over sterilizing temperatures before you can fry anything in it. Obviously you shouldn't leave big chunks of raw burger in there to rot, but if you wipe it out well after use and heat it up before cooking the next time, I doubt any problems will surface.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:51 am

Chef wrote: I can't see any real reason, from a food-safety standpoint, to be overly concerned with pathogens lurking on unwashed cast iron cookware-- you're gonna get the thing up well over sterilizing temperatures before you can fry anything in it. Obviously you shouldn't leave big chunks of raw burger in there to rot, but if you wipe it out well after use and heat it up before cooking the next time, I doubt any problems will surface.
Yep, been done that way for 200+ years now... :D
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

spacecase0
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil series

Post by spacecase0 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Merovech wrote:Got this in the mail today, it is (I Think) Nickel covered Cast Iron... I need to do some research on it to make sure it is safe to use.
I would think it is tin coated, nickel would not have lasted that long, and should be safe to use, people knew about metal poising long ago, and tin plated kitchen ware is still sold now it is just expensive.
"1911, AK, corn bread, red/blue wire neutral"
people in america still like to pretend they are free, the day they know they are not, they will stop pretending

zombievt

Post by zombievt » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:25 pm

I love cast iron. I've got a crapload of pans that my parents gave me years back that they got when they got married. Almost 40 years of honest seasoning in those.

If you're looking to buy cast iron, the best place is yard sales and flea markets. :)

urthshu
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, etc.

Post by urthshu » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:15 pm

Cast iron is interesting partly because both the care of the pans and the recipes used with those pans tend to get passed down/taught at the same time.

I learned to always use salt for cleaning, never soap. There was a bacon & breads big pan and then the others, never to be mixed up although they looked the same :lol: One of the first things I learned to cook in 'em after bacon was biscuits, then oil-rubbed steaks seared dry and quick on a red-hot pan. I think that's the same way I'd teach it.
Let’s Add Graphic Warning Labels to the Communist Manifesto

Return to “Eats and Drinks”