"Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" -- AWESOME!!!!!!

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" -- AWESOME!!!!!!

Post by duodecima » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Confucius wrote:
shrapnel wrote:So I could use some help, please. In the absence of a baking stone, I've been using a cookie sheet. The problem is, the bottom of my bread has been getting burnt and I don't know why. That's the primary thing that's changed, but I don't know why it's burnt, or how to fix it. Umm, thoughts or suggestions?
Try baking it higher in the oven.
Cast iron skillet also works well for bread.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Damnit, you people have me wanting to make a bunch of bread now. :lol: Going to give this a shot tomorrow, but if I was going to add some shredded cheese on top how would I do that without burning said cheese?
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:47 am

duodecima wrote:
Confucius wrote:
shrapnel wrote:So I could use some help, please. In the absence of a baking stone, I've been using a cookie sheet. The problem is, the bottom of my bread has been getting burnt and I don't know why. That's the primary thing that's changed, but I don't know why it's burnt, or how to fix it. Umm, thoughts or suggestions?

If it is anything like damper you could roll it into a snake. Wrap it around a stick and cook it over a fire like a giant marshmallow.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:58 am

drop bear wrote:
duodecima wrote:
Confucius wrote:

If it is anything like damper you could roll it into a snake. Wrap it around a stick and cook it over a fire like a giant marshmallow.
Yeah, I've done yeast bread like that before. This recipe is a little too moist to do that with, but wouldn't be hard to fix up for cooking on a stick.

That said, if you're cooking with a campfire, (and happen to have a skillet with you) fried bread is one of the best things on earth...

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:57 pm

I did a small batch of this tonight and it turned out fantastic. Quick question though, how would I go about making the outside slightly less "crunchy" or hard? The inside is orgasmic, and the crust is good, just a little tough.

Tactical furry.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:16 am

good god totally try that this weekend
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:01 am

Shiloh wrote:I did a small batch of this tonight and it turned out fantastic. Quick question though, how would I go about making the outside slightly less "crunchy" or hard? The inside is orgasmic, and the crust is good, just a little tough.
I put them in plastic bags while they're still warm but not so hot the bags melt, and the next day they crust is a lot softer.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

CapsLock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CapsLock » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:12 pm

Have tried this recipe 3 times in the past 3 weeks.

First try was with whole wheat flour (only kind at hand) and it didn't turn out very well. The inside didn't cook thoroughly. Outside was nice and crunchy.

The next two attempts came out very well using (the called for) all-purpose (non-whole wheat) flour.

Used a pizza stone on all three attempts. Definitely helps.

I let the dough rise per instructions and refrigerated 24 hours (first try) and about 12 hours for the next two attempts.

Recommend this recipe. It is pretty darn simple I ordered the book (2007 edition) but it has yet arrive.
Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant.

Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:21 pm

I do like the results better with bread flour.

I made a couple batches of this for various thanksgivings I went to this year. Everyone loved the bread.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Chantrea
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Uh...does Bubba Ho-Tep count? It's got Bruce Campbell in it!

Post by Chantrea » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:10 pm

It makes me so happy this thread is still going strong after years. :)

CapsLock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CapsLock » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:21 pm

The 2007 edition of the book arrived and I've read through it once, tagged a few recipes, and am going to make some more bread this weekend for Christmas.

Top on the list of things to make is the pizza dough, the rye bread (love a good Reuben), and the baguette.

The authors have more details about the technique and explain how to modify the recipe for use with different bread types (baguette, rye, pizza dough, etc). I can understand now why my first batch (made with all whole wheat flour) didn't work out.

They also discuss recommended tools, but don't state that you must have this or that. Once you've made a batch or two, it's a more obvious the value of some of the tools they mention.

Like a "peel" (now on my woodworking to-do list), the wooden board with a handle used to place and remove bread from an oven. You've likely seen one in use at a pizza parlor. Essential? No, but I know it would make things easier and that means I'm more likely to make bread more often.

Also included are a few recipes for non-bread items, but foods that would go with the bread you make. Not many, but a nice touch for pairing.

This is a good baking book and I recommend it. Or just use the technique first posted by Chantrea.

Mmmm....now I'm hungry.... :D
Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant.

Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:34 pm

Question: I've been using this recipe lately and my bread is always pretty heavy. Which I don't honestly mind (since I mostly use it for sandwiches) but how would I go about making it "lighter", or a little less dense?

Tactical furry.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:01 pm

Shiloh wrote:Question: I've been using this recipe lately and my bread is always pretty heavy. Which I don't honestly mind (since I mostly use it for sandwiches) but how would I go about making it "lighter", or a little less dense?
Using whole wheat flour, all purpose, bread flour?

If it's whole wheat or all purpose might try adding some vital wheat gluten (about 1 Tbsp/cup flour).

Could also try a longer rise / rest time (depending on whether you just made the dough or it's come out of the refrigerator.

Also late to this but
Confucius wrote:That said, if you're cooking with a campfire, (and happen to have a skillet with you) fried bread is one of the best things on earth...
THIS! Still very good in a skillet on the stove at home too!
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:49 pm

duodecima wrote:
Shiloh wrote:Question: I've been using this recipe lately and my bread is always pretty heavy. Which I don't honestly mind (since I mostly use it for sandwiches) but how would I go about making it "lighter", or a little less dense?
Using whole wheat flour, all purpose, bread flour?

If it's whole wheat or all purpose might try adding some vital wheat gluten (about 1 Tbsp/cup flour).

Could also try a longer rise / rest time (depending on whether you just made the dough or it's come out of the refrigerator.

Also late to this but
Confucius wrote:That said, if you're cooking with a campfire, (and happen to have a skillet with you) fried bread is one of the best things on earth...
THIS! Still very good in a skillet on the stove at home too!
I'm just using all-purpose white flour for now, I'll try to find some gluten next time I'm at the store.

Tactical furry.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”