cous cous - a better on the road/home staple...discuss?

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Prawn Star
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later.....

cous cous - a better on the road/home staple...discuss?

Post by Prawn Star » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Hey folks,havn't posted for a while....

Cous cous .... a reasonably cheap (1£ a kill uk price)...quite tasty..basicly semoloina...

But here the catch,where rice and pasta need boiling for a while.....cous cous is cooked within five minutes from adding hot water...

Take a look.

TacAir

Re: cous cous - a better on the road/home staple...discuss?

Post by TacAir » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:52 pm

Prawn Star wrote:Hey folks,havn't posted for a while....

Cous cous .... a reasonably cheap (1£ a kill uk price)...quite tasty..basicly semoloina...

But here the catch,where rice and pasta need boiling for a while.....cous cous is cooked within five minutes from adding hot water...

Take a look.
How do you cook it, what do you eat it with. This is used like a rice-a-roni kinda thing?
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Cous cous is good, but I like quinoa better for taste and texture. It still takes 10-15 minutes to cook in boiling water, and requires extra prep when it comes not already rinsed, but it's good stuff.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Couscous is a micro pasta. Bring a liquid (water, juice) with about a tablespoon of oil to a boil, stir in couscous, cover, remove from heat. After five minutes, fluff with fork and serves 4.

Couscous makes an excellent side dish or bed to a main dish. Use apple juice and a handful of golden raisins, lay a grilled center cut pork chop with a balsamic and black currant glaze. Sauteed green beans and yellow bell peppers. Serve with a lightly chilled Pinot Grigio.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Couscous makes an excellent side dish or bed to a main dish. Use apple juice and a handful of golden raisins, lay a grilled center cut pork chop with a balsamic and black currant glaze. Sauteed green beans and yellow bell peppers. Serve with a lightly chilled Pinot Grigio.
Your place or mine, big guy? :crazy:

I agree that couscous is an excellent candidate for bug out meals. Because as Evan indicates, all you do is boil water, add the couscous and remove from heat. In five minutes you have a delicious source of carbs that when mixed with some bullion, canned tuna, salmon or chicken, makes a reasonably filling meal with far less effort than cooking up rice or regular pasta. It's just about as easy as making ramen noodles, but far more tasty IMHO.

If you've never tried it, in the US at least the Near East brand can usually be found in grocery stores near the Rice-a-Roni/Lipton's pasta packet-type foods. They come prepackaged with flavor/herb packets. The garlic/olive oil flavor is my favorite.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”