It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:54 pm 

Thanks for the correct. I tend to go a little heavy and use brown sugar in my home recipe myself. :lol: I also add a tad more butter so that you get that real "candied" effect. But, mine are sweeter than the ones that I've had from Cracker Barrel. Then again, you should see my fried sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving ... they really do get candied around the edges. :)

Deb in Texas wrote:
Kathy in FL wrote:
Baby Carrots a la Cracker Barrel

2 lbs fresh baby carrots
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons butter

Rinse carrots and put in a sauce pan, pouring enough water in pan to just cover the top of the carrots. Cover carrots and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn heat to low and simmer about 30 minutes til tender when pierced with a fork. When carrots are tender pour off half to three fourths of the water. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.

I used to work at Cracker Barrel... the carrots use brown sugar, not white sugar.. for 2 lbs of carrots, use about 1/2 cup of brown sugar (loosely packed).

BTW, I love your recipes Kathy! Most of them have been added to my PAW recipe book!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:56 pm 

And all I have to eat in the house are two cup of soups and a soft pretzel.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:57 pm 

Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive
this thread is awesome! I don't know how I missed it. thank you! :)

Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:35 am 

Kathy,

First off, thank you for the thread. It's full of great stuff. Second, is there any chance that I could get the measurements that go with the Pinto Bean Fudge directions on Day 186? I didn't see them on here. No hurry. I know you are very busy. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:08 am 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Wow Kathy, you are like the "Ultimate!" I LOVE the recipes and they are even easy enough for the "domestically challenged" people such as myself!
Thank you!

ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:35 am 

Not Kathy, but this is the simplest bean fudge I've seen. Had the recipe for a while, but never tried it.
Bill’s Bean Fudge

1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP butter
1 & 2/3 cups mashed pinto beans
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 pounds powdered sugar

1. Melt Together baking cocoa and butter. Mix in thoroughly drained beans, vanilla and powdered sugar.

2. Place in a large buttered, shallow baking pan with sides and chill til firm.

Makes 24 pieces.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:39 pm 

Love the recipes!!! I tried the donut one just now, and realised if u drizzle it in the pan..its just like funnel cake :D :D
and now i know how to make it when shtf...lol
tyty
Nikki

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:29 pm 

ZombieGranny wrote:
Not Kathy, but this is the simplest bean fudge I've seen. Had the recipe for a while, but never tried it.
Bill’s Bean Fudge

1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP butter
1 & 2/3 cups mashed pinto beans
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 pounds powdered sugar

1. Melt Together baking cocoa and butter. Mix in thoroughly drained beans, vanilla and powdered sugar.

2. Place in a large buttered, shallow baking pan with sides and chill til firm.

Makes 24 pieces.

I'm kinda scared. I love beans and I love fudge. Have you tried it yet?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:46 pm 

I never quite had the courage.
It's rather like the Velveeta Fudge recipe - interesting, but...

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:03 pm 

ZombieGranny wrote:

I'm sorry. I completely missed that someone had responded to that question. Thank you (sorry it took over half a year for me to notice).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:46 pm 

Homemade Wheat Thins Recipe

Depending on how you season these little suckers is how they will be flavored. If you like original just use plain salt of whatever variety/brand you prefer. If you like the seasoned ones you can buy at the grocery store then your imagination and the sky is the limit.

1 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter (at room temperature)
2/3 cup milk
salt (or other dried herbs and seasoning) for sprinkling

1. in a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar and salt. cut in the butter and mix until you have a coarse meal.

2. slowly blend in the milk just until you have a dough that will hold together. divide the dough into 2 pieces for rolling.

3. roll the dough out on a floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness. sprinkle with salt and roll over lightly with the rolling pin again. cut the dough into 2×2 inch squares. poke each square several times with a fork.

4. transfer squares to an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 325 F for 20-25 minutes, until crackers are golden brown.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:50 pm 

Homemade Ritz Crackers

This recipe is made in a food processor. If you cut the recipe in half, you can fit it in a mini food processor.

•2 cups all-purpose flour
•3 tsp baking powder
•1 tbsp sugar
•1/2 tsp + another 1/2 tsp salt for topping
•6 tbsp cold unsalted butter + 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
•2 tbsp vegetable oil
•2/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 400 F. Put the flour, baking powder, sugar, and 1/2 tsp of salt in the food processor. Pulse to combine. Add cold butter a few small pats at a time, and pulse to combine. Add vegetable oil. Pulse to combine. Add water a little bit at a time. Pulse to combine after each addition. The dough should start to form a ball. Roll dough out as thin as you can. Mine ended up being all different thicknesses as they did in the website I got this from. Use cookie cutters to cut the dough out. You can make them Ritz-shaped or any shape that you like. Poke holes in the dough in the Ritz pattern or any pattern you like. Keep in mind that the holes are not just decorative; they help the crackers to bake correctly - so be sure to poke some. Bake the crackers on a parchment covered baking sheet for ten minutes or until the crackers just begin to brown. While the crackers are baking, melt the remaining butter and mix in the remaining salt (Some people said that my crackers weren't salty enough. Add more or less salt to your taste.) As soon as you remove the crackers from the oven, brush them with the salty butter. Cool and eat! Store in air tight container and you might want to put a piece of absorbant something or other in the bottom of the container as a few of my crackers got a little too much butter and were greasy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:27 pm 

Has anyone compiled these into a pdf?

Thanks,

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:24 pm 

Does anyone have any idea what would go in the "green broth" Kathy mentions giving to sick/weak folks in the story? That sounds like a good recipe to have on hand, zombies or no zombies.

I'm going to google around for ideas and if I find anything good I'll link back to it here if anyone else is interested.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:14 pm 

Kathy in FL wrote:
Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken

1 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into pieces
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup 7-Up
3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce

Place chicken pieces in crock pot. Mix all ingredients and pour over chicken. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Serve over rice or noodles.

I do not cook with vinegar a lot. So when you type vinegar does this mean white vinegar, red wine vinegar, rice vinegar or just pick whatever vinegar I want? We eat a lot of chicken at my house and I'm always looking for something to cook in the crock pot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 pm 

Not Kathy, but personally I seldom cook with white vinegar, I use apple cider vinegar unless a recipe otherwise says.
Different vinegars might make a slight change in flavor, but use the one you like, it should be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:32 pm 

ZombieGranny wrote:
Not Kathy, but personally I seldom cook with white vinegar, I use apple cider vinegar unless a recipe otherwise says.
Different vinegars might make a slight change in flavor, but use the one you like, it should be fine.

Thanks. I've only heard of white vinegar used for cleaning not cooking.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:19 pm 

Kathy in FL wrote:
Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken

1 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into pieces
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup 7-Up
3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce

Place chicken pieces in crock pot. Mix all ingredients and pour over chicken. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Serve over rice or noodles.

Thanks for this one Kathy it was great and got the family ok to make again.
I modified it with the addition of 1 tablespoon of minced ginger and one teaspoon of 5 spice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:32 pm 

shadows on the trees wrote:
Does anyone have any idea what would go in the "green broth" Kathy mentions giving to sick/weak folks in the story? That sounds like a good recipe to have on hand, zombies or no zombies.

I'm going to google around for ideas and if I find anything good I'll link back to it here if anyone else is interested.

I know it's been awhile since this question was posed but I was thinking that the "green broth" was pretty much a concentration and combination of the liquids from various greens that have been cooked, also known as "pot liquor". I've always been told there are lots of nutrients in the liquid and many people I know (used to include me before I was a low carber) like to soak up that liquid with a piece of cornbread or biscuit.

Of course I could be wrong.

Peach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:26 pm 

Thanks, Peach. Your answer makes sense.

And BTW, I made Kathy's "Pony Express Trail Bread" this weekend and it is GOOD. Four days later and it's still good.