Questions on condensing MREs

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

farrelljt

Questions on condensing MREs

Post by farrelljt » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:32 pm

I read through the condensing MRE info on the ZSS thread, and found it to be very useful information. I already knew that I would have to break them down to actually be usable in my BOB. My question is if I break down the MREs, and then vacuum seal the contents in my sealer, will that maintain the shelf life, or is the shelf life factor contingent on the sealed bag, and thicker vinyl bag that they are issued in? I think this question makes sense. if not, I can clarify, but I am looking at finally getting my BOB together, and want to get the food issue resolved here shortly.
Desperately in need of an intervention
.308 ... because people have a strange tendency to get behind things when you start shooting at them.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
ZS Fleet# 72
Technician Level Ham Operator

StrangeLove

Re: Questions on condensing MREs

Post by StrangeLove » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:41 pm

I don't get the whole breaking down the MRE thing. If they're so bloated with crap you don't need, why not just carry some freeze dried camping food, like Alpineaire or the like? Tastes better, too!

farrelljt

Post by farrelljt » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:50 pm

StrangeLove wrote:I don't get the whole breaking down the MRE thing. If they're so bloated with crap you don't need, why not just carry some freeze dried camping food, like Alpineaire or the like? Tastes better, too!
I already have MREs, and actually kind of like them. In the future, I might get some of the mountain House dehydrated meals, but they require boiling water. MREs do not require hot water, and honestly, I can east most of the stuff cold.
.308 ... because people have a strange tendency to get behind things when you start shooting at them.
ZS Fleet# 72

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:04 pm

While the forums were down, I was reading through the ZS blog and it had a liitle info. on field stripping MREs and it said that once it is split down you cut the shelf life approx. in half - so its a no-no for long tern storage but fine for a BOB or GHB.
http://zombiehunters.org/zss/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a few paragraphs down.

farrelljt

Post by farrelljt » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:16 pm

Big and Daft wrote:While the forums were down, I was reading through the ZS blog and it had a liitle info. on field stripping MREs and it said that once it is split down you cut the shelf life approx. in half - so its a no-no for long tern storage but fine for a BOB or GHB.
http://zombiehunters.org/zss/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a few paragraphs down.
farrelljt wrote:I read through the condensing MRE info on the ZSS thread, and found it to be very useful information. I already knew that I would have to break them down to actually be usable in my BOB. My question is if I break down the MREs, and then vacuum seal the contents in my sealer, will that maintain the shelf life, or is the shelf life factor contingent on the sealed bag, and thicker vinyl bag that they are issued in?

As stated in my original post, I read that. I am wondering if the loss of shelf life time is a result of them being out of the thick, brown wrapper, and if that can be counteracted by re-vacuum sealing the items that I am going to keep. Or is re-sealing them useless, because some proprietary aspect of the brown wrapper keeps them shelf stable for longer?
ZS Fleet# 72

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Well then, it just goes to show I should read things properly :D

farrelljt

Post by farrelljt » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:24 pm

Sorry, I am not trying to be a prick. I am just trying to figure out the answer, and have, as of yet, been unable to do so. It won't hurt me to only throw three of four in my BOB, and then switch them out every 1-2 years, but I am just wondering how to maintain the 3-5 year shelf life.
ZS Fleet# 72

qwertyuiop
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by qwertyuiop » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:35 pm

The reason MREs "spoil" (anecdotal evidence shows that they remain edible pretty much indefinitely, it's just that they start losing nutritive content and palatability) is temperature exposure, oxidization, and to a lesser extent exposure to light. I can't see vac-forming them being worth the time and effort for long term storage rather than just keeping them as they are, in their specifically engineered packaging. For "short term" or BoB purposes where you can rotate them at decent intervals (hopefully with bugout exercises) I don't see how vac-forming them could hurt.

el Punisher
Favorite Zombie Movies: R esident evil series, dawn of the dead george romero series, shaun of the dead, and 28 weeks later If I am Legend counts thats on the list as well

Post by el Punisher » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:29 pm

farrelljt wrote:
StrangeLove wrote:I don't get the whole breaking down the MRE thing. If they're so bloated with crap you don't need, why not just carry some freeze dried camping food, like Alpineaire or the like? Tastes better, too!
I already have MREs, and actually kind of like them. In the future, I might get some of the mountain House dehydrated meals, but they require boiling water. MREs do not require hot water, and honestly, I can east most of the stuff cold.
hell when I'm hungry I'll eat cold beef stew straight out of the can
... The winchester!
Yoda wrote: If Unbreakable Umbrella and WASP injection knife your main hand-to-hand weapon is, strong is the mall ninja within you

Return to “Eats and Drinks”