Foil Cookery

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Foil Cookery

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:34 pm

TravisM.1 wrote:
dogbane wrote: Wrapped it in foil (shiny side in is supposed to make it slightly hotter--who knows?):
Just a general FYI:
They did Aluminum Foil on Discorey's "How It's Made" a few weeks ago. The reason one side is shiny and the other is dull, IIRC, is that they run two rolls of foil (of the proper width) thru a press at the same time, back-to-back. The dull side is the surface that was pressed against the other sheet of foil, while the shiny side is actually sort of polished by the rollers on the press.

My favorite foil recipe is what my wife simply calls "packets".
Get some stew (cubed) meat- beef or venison; you could even use pork or chicken, even high-quality cuts of meat if you feel like cubing it yourself.

Get some vegetables. I always use Celery, Onion, Carrots and Potatoes.

Wrap vegetables and meat in a sheet of foil, leaving the top open for the time being.

I always salt and pepper mine beforehand, but it isn't necessary.

Drop in some butter. I usually put in a couple tablespoons full.

Roll the top edges of the foil together to seal the packet. You could also double-wrap it in foil if you wanted, but this makes it a little difficult to check the progress if the opening sections aren't lined up.

Put 'em on the grill. It usually takes about a half-hour or a little more to cook them, and no side dishes are needed. Everything cooks in the packet, flavors mingle and it comes out delicious.

free bump!!!! i will be trying this recipe at the end of the month on our camping trip!!!
2008 F-250 6.4 Powerstroke -Zombie Squad fleet number ZS0149
Owner of Zombie Diesel Performance
"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

weaselrunner

Post by weaselrunner » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:41 am

inclinebench wrote:I had a girlfriend that would bring foil, oranges, and a jar of mixed cake batter when we went camping. She would slice the orange in half, with the stem part at the top, and ease the fruit out of both halves. Then she would fill the lower half with cake batter, replace the top half skin, then wrap the whole thing in foil and set it in the fire for about 15 minutes, and when they came out they looked like snowballs, but were orange flavored cake. Very tasty, but I am a pie guy, so I dumped her.
My wife and myself taught an outdoor cooking class to 2 groups of Girl Scout leaders yesterday. We tried this for the first time at the class and it was one of the biggest hits that we did :D . People could not believe the taste or how it was done :shock: . We had people stopping by and asking about it who had not even taken the class. But for us , using larger naval oranges, cook time was about 15 to 20 minutes.
THANKS

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:51 am

TravisM.1 wrote:
Chef wrote:I don't know why I didn't remember this until now:

Is that a Ford Probe or a Mazda? That looks just like the engine bay of my long-gone Ford Probe SE.
I've cooked pizza on the hot engine hatch of my VW bus, in traffic on the H1 in hawaii when there was a big wreck and it was shut down for a while. An awesome memory: Me and a bunch of kama'ina bumming around, no particular rush, just eating pizza, drinking green tea (Hawaiian Sun brand!) and talking story.

Edit: The accident was that a Semi had flipped, completely blocking all four lanes. No one was hurt tho; the driver walked away.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Thu May 06, 2010 7:50 am

I have always used foil in the past entirely different than here.

When making our fire pit I would dig a hole at one end maybe three to four inches deep and about a foot diameter. I would line the bottom of this hole with ferns or grasses.

I would then place my catch usually fish in the foil like you guys have, cover with more ferns. Then cover with a couple inches of soil. I would set the fire directly above this hole.

I would let the fish literally bake in there (under soil & coals) for say an hour.

At that time I move the hot coals to the other end of the fire pit. Retrieve my foil packet (careful digging) and enjoy a hot meal while out in the bush.

Jaxathon

Post by Jaxathon » Thu May 06, 2010 2:15 pm

Anyone know of the best way to cook a steak in foil under hot coals is? Ive never tried it and am unsure of how long to do it.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Thu May 06, 2010 2:21 pm

Jaxathon wrote:Anyone know of the best way to cook a steak in foil under hot coals is? Ive never tried it and am unsure of how long to do it.
Foil steams the steak, and nobody wants that. Instead blow the ashes off hot charcoal and slap the steak straight down. Go ahead and rest it in the foil afterwards.
http://cooking4theweek.blogspot.com/200 ... style.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

absw

Post by absw » Sun May 16, 2010 11:18 am

Allen wrote:I saw a Lady on TV once, She did foil cookery in the dishwasher.
When the dishes were done, Dinner was ready too.

Cheers!
http://www.partselect.com/JustForFun/Di ... sagna.aspx

:)

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon May 17, 2010 10:13 am

absw wrote:
Allen wrote:I saw a Lady on TV once, She did foil cookery in the dishwasher.
When the dishes were done, Dinner was ready too.

Cheers!
http://www.partselect.com/JustForFun/Di ... sagna.aspx

:)
I know someone who cooks salmon, in tinfoil, in the dishwasher.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Fri May 21, 2010 11:14 am

For a steak, why not just put a smooth, dry, stone in the middle of your coals and then slap the steak on it once it has heated up.

There's tons of ways to use stones for cooking. Just gotta make sure it's dry or it will explode. Wee!
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sat May 22, 2010 3:06 am

The Boy Scout field book, IIRC has some basic foil cookery recipes.

And, now I don't have to carry pots or pans 'cause my foil hat can double as cookware!
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Sun May 30, 2010 5:59 pm

To fuel your Foil Cooking....................Lowe's has charcoal BOGO works out to approx $4.38 per bag, through Memorial Day, great cooking fuel. We are going to store it in a plastic storage tub to keep the moisture out.
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:53 am

Bumparoo!

One I do very regularly in the fire box of my smoker, on the gas grill or in the camp fire.

•Dice up potatoes season with salt, pepper and dillo dust.

•put in foil packet with cheese, diced bacon, corn and sometimes hot sauce.

• Chuck in fire of choice.

• cook till taters are soft. Open and eat :)

°Cook time varies depending of fire type.

Another easy on I do all trout season long and I have pix. ....... :mrgreen:

Camp trout.

Fresh trout (got these the day I cooked them)
Lemon
Butter
Usually dillo dust
garlic

Cut off heads clean well, stuff with lemon garlic and butter.

Put in foil with more lemon garlic and butter (top and bottom) season.

Wrap them fuckers up and put on grill or other available fire. I do them middle with only the burners to the left and right on medium.

Have a few beers or whatever does it for ya.

Open peal off skin and either plate up or eat out of the foil like a real man. :D

Open up peal off skin and eat. Not the best looking but damn tasty.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

JakkSchitt

Post by JakkSchitt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:40 pm

We have done the foil cooking over the fire every time we go camping, the kids love it. They also love paper bag eggs and bacon. Take a lunch bag and line the bottom with a slice of bacon then scramble and egg and dump it in. Roll over the top of the back and poke a stick through it. Hang it over the fire and in a little bit to cook and then tear the bag open for some yummy bacon and eggs. The bacon fat saturates the bag and it doesnt burn if you hold it just above the flame.
Jakk
Abacus wrote: Good luck and welcome to Zombie Squad, don't fuck it up.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Tried that once, ended up with a flaming bag of eggs and Bacon. :lol: :lol:
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Oneswunk, I think he said ABOVE not IN the flames :razz:

Zoltan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead(remake); 28 Days Later; 28 Weeks Later; Army of Darkness; Dead & Breakfast; I am Legend; Pet Sematary;

Post by Zoltan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:15 pm

inclinebench wrote:I had a girlfriend that would bring foil, oranges, and a jar of mixed cake batter when we went camping. She would slice the orange in half, with the stem part at the top, and ease the fruit out of both halves. Then she would fill the lower half with cake batter, replace the top half skin, then wrap the whole thing in foil and set it in the fire for about 15 minutes, and when they came out they looked like snowballs, but were orange flavored cake. Very tasty, but I am a pie guy, so I dumped her.
So is this like a whole orange with just the fruit taken out? Fill the 2 empty skin halves, push together to keep the batter from coming out and then wrap in foil and cook?

Am I getting this right?

Done the Oneswunk fish job plenty of times, good stuff!
Last edited by Zoltan on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZSC:XV -- California Chapter Forum

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
CLEAR CUT wrote:Chloroform soaked rag in a ziplock baggie, Duct tape, ten milligrams of Ketamine in a syringe, and a bottle of Roofies....It must be date night!

Oneswunk

Post by Oneswunk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:18 pm

Oneswunk fish job, that just sounds dirty. :lol:

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

absw

Post by absw » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:10 am

Bump to add this link http://ab5w.com/explorers/cooking/BackwoodsCooking.pdf Its a good guide of things to cook over fires with no proper cookware.

Used it to modify/create this menu that I ran for an Explorer Scout evening http://ab5w.com/explorers/cooking/backw ... lorers.jpg

Turned out well apart from the young leader adding way too much Tabasco sauce in the leaders one... my eyes were streaming :p

Nozoki

Post by Nozoki » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:15 pm

Zoltan wrote:
So is this like a whole orange with just the fruit taken out? Fill the 2 empty skin halves, push together to keep the batter from coming out and then wrap in foil and cook?

Am I getting this right?

Done the Oneswunk fish job plenty of times, good stuff!
I think you pour the batter in one half and leave one half empty so the cake will expand into it. I'm definitely going to try this next time I burn some brush. My 5 year old daughter will love it.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:46 pm

A few different ways for cake/muffins in an orange peel, with photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakespy/ta ... irerecipe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://stephchows.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... -cake.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/06/o ... ed-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 am

ZombieGranny wrote:A few different ways for cake/muffins in an orange peel, with photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakespy/ta ... irerecipe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://stephchows.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... -cake.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/06/o ... ed-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That. Is. AWESOME. :shock: That is all.

Frank

Post by Frank » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:51 am

quackfiend wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:A few different ways for cake/muffins in an orange peel, with photos.
That. Is. AWESOME. :shock: That is all.
quoted for truth. im not going to wait till i camp, i'm making a fire in my backyard tomorrow.
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

SlapNuts

Post by SlapNuts » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:33 am

Great thread. I remember making the hobo meals in scouts. I'm off to the woods tomorrow until Sunday and will be using some of these.
Tactical Jeep
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:07 pm

I tried the cake in an orange thing, except I tried it with angel food cake since it was the only mix that only needed water, and I didn't have/plan-to-bring eggs or milk.

It was a disaster.

So just for reference (because I am sure this works) do not use angel food cake mix. I'm still gonna try it with some other kind of mix at some point...

This is a great thread by the way, I have it bookmarked, but have never posted in it yet. I really want to try the onion thing.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Return to “Eats and Drinks”