Tribute to BACON!

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Squirrley

Re: Tribute to BACON!

Post by Squirrley » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:22 pm

and how, exactly, does one make them? HMMMM??
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:10 pm

This sandwich now full of awesome because he finally included bacon:
Bacon Hamburger Fatty Melt, has 2 grilled cheese sandwiches as the buns
It can always get worse.

zephyrkyuubi
Favorite Zombie Movies: um all of them, except house of the dead 2.I love ROTLD, DOTD, RE, 28 days later, shaun of the dead, evil dead, army of darkness. How could I forget Planet Terror

Post by zephyrkyuubi » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:28 pm

How did I miss this thread!! :D
“Good government is no substitute for self-government”~ Mahatma Ghandi

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:52 pm

Oops! :oops: Forgot to include the link to the instructions! I made recipe #2.
http://imakeprojects.com/Projects/fleshworms/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

DryGrain

Post by DryGrain » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:55 pm

Food Maxx is selling 10lb cases of Covered Wagon brand bacon right now for $14.50. I have three in the deep freeze.
Gerry Agnosia wrote:Zombie Squad: A lot of us are losers. Shut up.
Valarius wrote:War is Peace. Ignorance is Strength. Cake is Pie.
SKS, .45LC, Cheesecake

razi

Post by razi » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:28 pm

No bacon thread is complete without a flowchart!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2207/212 ... 3215_o.jpg

(image is too tall to post, so just click the link)

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:37 pm

Truly a thread chock full of win. I approve.
-NREMT-P
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:55 pm

How long does bacon keep? I just found half a pack in the fridge from when I had my old apartment (which I moved out of in February), and it was kinda slimey all over and the outside piece was more grey than bacon colored. I fried up some, WITH BACON SALT FOR ADDED DELICIOUSNESS, and it tasted just dandy. Am I going to die tonight?
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

goibhniu
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Post by goibhniu » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:47 am

Death is unlikely, intestinal fortitude check is possible. +1 for bravery
"An uair a théid an gobhainn air bhathal 'se is feàrr a bhi réidh ris."

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

Allen

Post by Allen » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:13 am

You can clean the "Slime" off of meat with Vinegar if You need to.

Cheers!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:54 am

No ill effects as of yet.... I'm thinking of making the rest up :P

ETA: I was worried the slime had some of the flavor in it so I didn't clean it off.

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanksgiving, now with extra bacon:

bacon-wrapped turducken

WANT!!!
It can always get worse.

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:51 pm

DFWMTX wrote:Thanksgiving, now with extra bacon:

bacon-wrapped turducken

WANT!!!
Fucking Awesome!
-NREMT-P
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

TheQuietOne

Post by TheQuietOne » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:59 am

My local paper printed this article a few weeks ago:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/la- ... 2835.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are the included recipes:
article wrote:APPLE-BACON COFFEE CAKE

Total time: 1 hour, 40 minutes plus rising time

Servings: 16

Note: Grade B maple syrup is recommended for this recipe; the syrup is less filtered so it has more pronounced flavor. The coffeecake can be made through Step 10 the night before serving; loosely cover and refrigerate the dough overnight, then warm at room temperature for 1 hour before baking.

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
1/3 cup sugar, divided
3 eggs, divided
10 tablespoons butter (1 1/4 sticks), at room temperature, cut into 1/2 -inch pieces
3 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds thick-cut bacon, preferably applewood-smoked, sliced crosswise into 1/4 -inch pieces
1 pound tart apples, such as Granny Smith (about 2 large)
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup, divided
2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
1/3 cup sliced almonds
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, sifted

1. In a small pan, heat the milk over medium heat just until warmed. Remove from heat and pour the milk into a small bowl or measuring cup. Stir in the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar, then set aside until the yeast is activated and the milk is foamy, about 10 minutes.

2. Whisk two of the eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment (or in a large bowl with a hand mixer) until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Stir in the yeast mixture and remaining sugar until fully incorporated.

3. With the mixer running, add the butter, one or two pieces at a time, until all of it has been incorporated.

4. In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 cups of the bread flour and the salt. With the mixer running, add the flour mixture, a spoonful at a time, until all of it has been incorporated into the dough.

5. Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until it is soft and elastic with a silky texture, 5 to 7 minutes. Knead in additional bread flour as needed, up to the remaining one-half cup. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place until doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

6. While the dough is rising, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, about 15 minutes. Stir frequently so the bacon cooks evenly and does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat and drain the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate, reserving one-fourth cup of the grease for the remainder of the recipe.

7. Peel and core the apples, and slice each into eight pieces. Cut each slice crosswise into one-eighth-inch pieces.

8. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons bacon grease over medium heat. Stir in the apple slices and cinnamon and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 2 tablespoons maple syrup and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until crisp-tender, another 2 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the amaretto. Place the pan back over medium heat and cook until the liqueur is mostly absorbed, about 1 minute, stirring to scrape any bits of flavoring from the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

9. When the dough is doubled, punch it down and roll it out on a lightly floured surface into a 12-by-18-inch rectangle. Spread the apples and bacon bits evenly over the dough.

10. Roll the dough lengthwise into a tube (like a cinnamon roll), making sure the seam is on the bottom of the roll. Make 15 slits over the length of the roll, a little over 1 inch apart and three-fourths of the way through. Carefully transfer the dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Form the dough into the shape of a wreath, with the cut sides on the outside of the wreath. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and set aside until almost doubled in volume, 45 minutes to an hour. Alternatively, loosely cover and refrigerate the dough overnight; remove from the refrigerator about 1 hour before baking for the dough to come to room temperature.

11. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon maple syrup with the remaining egg. Brush the egg wash over the outside of the wreath. Sprinkle the sliced almonds over the wreath and place the pan in the oven.

12. Bake the coffee cake until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Rotate the pan halfway through baking for even coloring.

13. While the coffee cake is baking, make the glaze. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon bacon grease and maple syrup.

14. Remove the cake and brush the top with the remaining tablespoon bacon grease. Allow the cake to cool slightly.

15. Drizzle the glaze over the warm coffee cake. Slice and serve. The coffee cake will keep for up to two days, refrigerated. Cover and bring to room temperature before serving.

Each serving: 373 calories; 11 grams protein; 37 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 20 grams fat; 9 grams saturated fat; 80 mg. cholesterol; 427 mg. sodium.
article wrote:ROASTED POTATO SALAD

Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Servings: 8 to 10

4 pounds new or fingerling potatoes, cleaned and halved lengthwise
3/4 teaspoon chopped garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound thick-cut bacon
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons whole grain mustard, or to taste
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, or to taste
1/2 red onion, trimmed and sliced lengthwise into 1/8 -inch slices
1/4 cup capers

1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the garlic, olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper. Place the potatoes in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast the potatoes until golden brown and tender, about 1 hour, tossing occasionally. Remove and cool.

2. While the potatoes are roasting, cut the bacon crosswise into one-fourth-inch pieces. Cook the bacon in a large sauté pan over medium heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, about 15 minutes. Stir frequently, watching that the bacon does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and drain the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate, reserving the grease for another use.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard and red wine vinegar. Season with one-half teaspoon salt and several grinds of black pepper. Taste and adjust mustard, vinegar and seasoning if desired.

4. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes and bacon with the sliced onion. Gently stir in enough dressing to coat, then stir in the capers. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.

5. Cover and refrigerate the salad for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop. The salad will keep for 3 days, refrigerated. Allow the salad to warm slightly at room temperature before serving.

Each of 10 servings: 420 calories; 11 grams protein; 34 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 28 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 29 mg. cholesterol; 696 mg. sodium.
article wrote:PANZANELLA

Total time: About 1 hour

Servings: 8

Note: This recipe requires three-fourths cup bacon grease, probably more than you'll render when cooking the bacon below. If you fall short and don't keep any extra on hand, substitute best-quality olive oil. Frisée is also known as curly endive and chicory.

1/2 pound thick-cut bacon
3/4 cup bacon grease or best-quality olive oil or mixture of the two, divided
3 garlic cloves
1 stale French baguette, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
3/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 medium red onion, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/8 -inch-thick slices
1/2 cup Nicoise olives, or similar black brined olives
1/2 cup loosely packed torn basil leaves
2 tablespoons loosely packed oregano leaves
2 cups loosely packed torn radicchio leaves
3 cups loosely packed frisée
3 cups loosely packed mâche or arugula

1. In a large sauté pan, cook the bacon strips over medium heat until the fat is rendered and the strips are crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels, reserving the bacon grease.

2. In the same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease over medium-high heat. Add the garlic cloves and as many cubes of bread as will fit in a single layer (this may need to be done in a couple of batches). Toast the bread until golden brown on all sides, stirring frequently. Add additional grease as needed (the bread will soak it up as it toasts), up to 2 more tablespoons. Remove from heat and place the bread in a large bowl.

3. Make the tomato vinaigrette: In a large nonreactive saucepan, whisk together the crushed tomatoes, remaining one-half cup bacon grease, sherry vinegar, salt and several grinds of pepper. The grease will thicken as it cools; if necessary, heat the vinaigrette gently over low heat while whisking until the dressing is emulsified.

4. Pour half the dressing over the toasted bread and toss with your hands until the cubes are evenly coated. Add the onion, olives, basil and oregano and toss until evenly incorporated. Allow the dressing to soak into the cubes to desired tenderness, 10 to 15 minutes if you like the bread soft on the outside with a little crunch in the center.

5. When the bread is soaked, add the radicchio, frisée and mâche; toss to combine. Add additional dressing as needed to lightly coat the leaves.

6. Plate individual servings of the salad or serve in a large serving bowl. Crumble the bacon slices over and serve immediately.

Each serving: 379 calories; 9 grams protein; 30 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams fiber; 26 grams fat; 9 grams saturated fat; 29 mg. cholesterol; 888 mg. sodium.
article wrote:CANDIED BACON MARTINIS

Candied Bacon

8 slices smoked bacon
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar

Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, shiny side up. Dredge the bacon on both sides in the brown sugar and arrange the slices so they do not touch on the sheet. Bake until the bacon is richly caramelized, 15 to 25 minutes. Use a pair of tongs to transfer the bacon strips to a cooling rack and allow the excess fat to drain. Serve warm as candy or cool until hardened for the martinis.

Candied bacon martinis

6 ounces premium vodka
4 ounces Applejack brandy
2 ounces amaretto liqueur
2 ounces maple syrup, preferably grade "B"
4 thin slices tart apple, such as Granny Smith
2 slices candied bacon, halved crosswise

Chill 4 martini glasses. In a large cocktail shaker, combine the vodka, brandy, amaretto and maple syrup with ice. Shake until combined and chilled. Strain the cocktail into the 4 chilled glasses and garnish each with an apple slice and half a slice of candied bacon. Serve immediately.

Each of 4 servings: 284 calories; 1 gram protein; 21 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 1 gram fat; 0 saturated fat; 3 mg. cholesterol; 78 mg. sodium.
I dunno about anyone else, but I plan to try that coffee cake soon. :)
Napalm{WmD} wrote:The longer something is designed to stay edible the less likely you are to want to eat it.

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:07 pm

Did Bacon Wrapped Hotdogs last night.

~Cook Bacon, set aside
~Boil Hotdogs
~Fry up some Green Peppers and Onions with a little butter till onions are clear, add a dash of ground pepper

Lay down slice of American cheese on open bun, add two slices of bacon and a hotdog, then add the fried green peppers and onions the same way one would add relish. To top it off I put a squirt of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce on each. They were six kinds of excellent, Should have taken a picture.
-NREMT-P
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:08 am

If the ZPAW hits, I predict you are going to get about 30 yards, then keel over dead. But with a big fat greasy smile. :D

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:24 am

"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

kiwilrdg

Post by kiwilrdg » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:03 am

If the ZPAW hits, I predict you are going to get about 30 yards, then keel over dead. But with a big fat greasy smile.
But who really cars as young as you had a chance to eat the bacon.
Surviving is easy, living while you do it is the hard part.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:53 am

Anyone catch the Iron Chef America last week? Battle BACON!
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

MJS8725
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead.

Post by MJS8725 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:47 pm

sworbeyegib wrote:Anyone catch the Iron Chef America last week? Battle BACON!

Yes I did and it was BEAUTIFUL. Glorious even :D
Evil unchecked grows, evil tolerated poisons the entire system.- Jawaharlal Nehru

Zoltan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead(remake); 28 Days Later; 28 Weeks Later; Army of Darkness; Dead & Breakfast; I am Legend; Pet Sematary;

Post by Zoltan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:48 pm

So how does everyone cook their bacon??

From working in restuarants all the way through HS as a prep cook and cook, we always did it in the oven in the roasting pans with a drain pan in the botton so all the grease doesn't pool. The bacon was always cooked to perfection!! And that's still the way I do it at home.

Now I think the Fatty burger looks good, but that's a bit to much. I think I might try to make a Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich this weekend though. Just that sounds awesome!!
ZSC:XV -- California Chapter Forum

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
CLEAR CUT wrote:Chloroform soaked rag in a ziplock baggie, Duct tape, ten milligrams of Ketamine in a syringe, and a bottle of Roofies....It must be date night!

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:49 pm

bacon jerky!

http://www.cvwine.com/shop/baconjerky.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Panzershreke
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Both the original & remake)
28 Days/Weeks Later
Shaun of the Dead
I am Legend

Post by Panzershreke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:02 pm

kyle wrote:bacon jerky!

http://www.cvwine.com/shop/baconjerky.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You sir may have found one of man's greatest achievements ever. I applaud your bacon knowledge.
Shadowsbane wrote: I thought I felt a disturbance in the force. Like a million mall ninja piggy banks crying out in anguish, and then....silence.

Zoltan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead(remake); 28 Days Later; 28 Weeks Later; Army of Darkness; Dead & Breakfast; I am Legend; Pet Sematary;

Post by Zoltan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:17 pm

ZSC:XV -- California Chapter Forum

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
CLEAR CUT wrote:Chloroform soaked rag in a ziplock baggie, Duct tape, ten milligrams of Ketamine in a syringe, and a bottle of Roofies....It must be date night!

Return to “Eats and Drinks”