Do you know a bad little boy or girl ?

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Do you know a bad little boy or girl ?

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:02 am

I make this every year for Christmas morning... Who will get it this year?

Candy Coal

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. black paste food coloring
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. anise extract or flavor of choice

Line 8" square baking pan with foil, extending edges over sides of pan. Lightly grease foil with butter.
Combine sugar, corn syrup and water into heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil, being careful not to splash sugar mixture on side of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan (do not let bulb touch bottom of pan). Cook about 15 minutes until thermometer registers 290 degrees F., without stirring. Immediately remove from heat. Stir in extract and food coloring. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
Cool completely. Lift candy out of pan using foil. Place candy between 2 layers of heavy-duty foil. Pound with mallet to break candy into 1-2" pieces.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:08 am

Yow. Anise extract. That's an awesome idea, I just haven't enjoyed Anise since I "tried" a bottle of Absinthe.

What would make a good substitute?(for anise) Does it actually look like coal? I'd like to give this a shot, if only to temporarily piss off my brother in law. :lol:

*Edited for clarity
Last edited by Czechnology on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by Famine » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:18 am

Anise extract, good call. If you wanted to make it a little more crumbly, you could experiment with xanthium gum, I presume.

Hmm. I'll think of some more input.

Kevin
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:16 am

It's a little too shiny for coal, more like onyx. But the recipient always knows what it is. heh, heh...
You can use any flavor, many people have told me they use lemon for a surprise; it's the black paste food color that makes it look like coal. You can buy it at any Michaels or JoAnne Fabrics for about $3. It doesn't take much, you'll have the little jar for quite a while.

Glad you like the idea. Remember, just bash it into chunks, not little squares.

edit: Just wandering around fixing links and smilies.
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Sat May 04, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:01 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:It's a little too shiny for coal, more like onyx. But the recipient always knows what it is. heh, heh...
You can use any flavor, many people have told me they use lemon for a surprise; it's the black paste food color that makes it look like coal. You can buy it at any Michaels or JoAnne Fabrics for about $3. It doesn't take much, you'll have the little jar for quite a while.

Glad you like the idea. Remember, just bash it into chunks, not little squares.

Right, since the only other ingredients are sugar, sugar, and food coloring, I suppose anything that wasn't strong enough in color to overpower the black would work. Hmmmm. Thanks again for the recipie. Hopefully I can get a rise out of someone with this. :D
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:05 pm

Famine wrote:Anise extract, good call. If you wanted to make it a little more crumbly, you could experiment with xanthium gum, I presume.

Hmm. I'll think of some more input.

Kevin

Xanthan Gum. (Xanthium is a type of flower Kevin :lol:) I know all too well about Xanathan Gum, as I used to have to add it to any of the Gluten Free bread products. Too much or too little and you FUBAR the whole deal. Thankfully nowadays Gluten Free is such a fad theres plenty of pre-mixed stuff out there.

ZombieGranny

Re: Do you know a bad little boy or girl ?

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:52 pm

I figured I'd bump up the candy coal recipe...
There must be a bad little boy or girl in your life who should get some this year.
-

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:02 am

Neat idea, Granny. I might be able to use this.

I think it might be neat if coal tasted like peppermint. Or maybe Jagermeister? Raspberry?

It'd be fun to make three or four batches of different flavors and mix the chunks all up. They'd all be black, so you'd have to eat a particular lump to know how it tasted.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

sql_yoda
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Sean of the Dead
The Notebook

Post by sql_yoda » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:19 am

Nice recipe, I'll give it a shot tomorrow while the cookies are cooling off.

Hoping to drop some in some cute bags and stuff stockings along with some snowman poo (marshmallows).

Thanks, the nephews are going to love it!

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:15 pm

Image Tis the season
-

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:19 pm

I fully expected this to be a Spam bot that had hijacked your account ZG. I am pleasantly surprised.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:46 pm

Are you trying to say that ZombieGranny is real?

Return to “Eats and Drinks”