Entomophagy

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:15 pm

I ate a cicada last summer. They were the 17 year ones I think. This is in Chicago, the squirrels here love them: they run around, grabbing 'em, and only eat the abdomen. I think they think they're little crawling acorns.

I don't know how many or what kind we'll get this summer (no 17yrs. obviously), but if they're here, I plan on frying a bunch in a skillet with some olive oil.

Sapient

Post by Sapient » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:23 am

SweetTea wrote:I've heard that if you see a movie in central america, you get dry roasted ants with chili powder. They can pretty much be stir fried with a bit of fat and some chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, or onion powder.
Years back I knew someone from Colombia who got a care package from home that included a little plastic tub of those ant-snacks. Of course I had to try one. The taste was very much like what we think of as "barbecue flavor" on North American snacks made from potatoes or corn.

Nowadays I'd greatly prefer eating insects and worms raised by people using known sources of clean fodder. Wild caught vermin from urban areas may have been eating all sorts of nasty things and still have bits of them undigested inside their bodies. I don't have the skillz or the microsurgery kit to gut the ants and throw away their contaminated digestive organs.

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:54 pm

The one thing I thought Kathy did not have anything for! ooh man, she is the greatest!

There was a place in Toronto my friend had me try some bugs at, wasnt to bad, but I have to have a dipping sauce of sorts, could never eat them without it

ArtfulDodger

Post by ArtfulDodger » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:45 pm

ArtfulDodger wrote:I found this article on home-harvested escargot:
http://mattbites.blogspot.com/2006/05/s ... ce_07.html

I don't typically see those sorts of garden snails in my area, but I remember them from California, where I grew up.
I've just moved a few miles north, and my yard -- hell. my front steps on a damp day -- are full of very tiny snails that appear to be (immature?) Helix aspersa.

If they get big enough for eating in a few months, I definitely plan to try eating some. Expect pictures.

MS8725

Post by MS8725 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:14 pm

Not really a big fan of insects as a meal. I have eaten ants and some assorted creepy crawly things as part of training but on aregular basis I would have to pass. They do however provide an excellent source of vitamins and protien. If that's what you're into go forth and conquer. John the Baptist ate locusts and honey so it can't be all that bad.
“The weight of this sad time we must obey;
Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say."-Edgar, King Lear

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Entomophagy

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:48 am

Bumpity bump bump. Anyone got the skinny on bug farming?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:36 am

I've had mealworms, crickets, some sort of beetle, scorpion, and various other bugs in my travels. Honestly they are pretty tasty, never had a problem. I plan on eating more in the future as well. If I could find a clean source, that's cheap I would definitely add them into my meal plans.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:29 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Bumpity bump bump. Anyone got the skinny on bug farming?
http://www.caes.uga.edu/commodities/ani ... rticle.pdf

http://www.ie.unc.edu/for_students/cour ... _guide.pdf

I read those links when I had my aquaponics garden. Turns out I hate taking care of fish, so I never took the step to try to sustainably grow food for my Tilapia. I just ate the Tilapia. Now I have a hydroponics garden. :awesome:
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:27 am

Thought this article on China's new lunar PALACE was interesting. They just completed a 100+ day shake down and one of the foods they eat are protein rich meal worms. If you are interested in space or closed loop life support systems this is interesting.

http://m.space.com/26267-china-lunar-pa ... 8_26148846
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Metzger

Post by Metzger » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:20 pm

Sprouts is now stocking Chapul cricket bars

they cost more than a bison pemmican bar, but if you don't want to mail order one for the novelty they are pretty good.

Vallyn

Post by Vallyn » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:21 pm

Some of my Mexican friends tell me that grasshoppers are good, taste like shrimp. I'm hoping to get the chance to learn to prepare them properly. I'm not really interested in bugs as gross-out food or novelty, but when they're part of normal diet, I'd like to try.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”