There's no time like the end of times for a good Bourbon

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

There's no time like the end of times for a good Bourbon

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Any bourbon drinkers here?

I'm slowly plumbing the depths of bottom and mid-shelf American whiskeys. So far I've found Evan Williams to be a gem among budget bourbons. Don't know if I have a favorite for mid level stuff; I do like Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek. Tin Cup and Larceny are just meh.

There's actually a zombie-themed bourbon, The Walking Dead, part of Skybound's "Spirits of the Apocalypse" series. I thought it tasted like turpentine. I do like the bottle at least ...

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: There's no time like the end of times for a good Bourbon

Post by NT2C » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:35 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:37 pm

I'm slowly plumbing the depths of bottom and mid-shelf American whiskeys. So far I've found Evan Williams to be a gem among budget bourbons. Don't know if I have a favorite for mid level stuff; I do like Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek. Tin Cup and Larceny are just meh.

There's actually a zombie-themed bourbon, The Walking Dead, part of Skybound's "Spirits of the Apocalypse" series. I thought it tasted like turpentine. I do like the bottle at least ...
Well, I just happened to finish a pint tonight. Had half yesterday and the remainder tonight after dinner.

It counts, right? Best I can do with the meds I take now.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:20 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:35 pm
majorhavoc wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Well, I just happened to finish a pint tonight. Had half yesterday and the remainder tonight after dinner.

It counts, right? Best I can do with the meds I take now.
That works. When you're off your meds, I'd like to see that as a cocktail. On second thought; stay on your meds. :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:59 pm

Closest thing to bourbon I've got right now is a couple little airline bottles of Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve my oldest sister brought back from Kentucky in 2019.

I haven't opened them yet, but that's mostly because I don't drink alcohol that much. It's been about a year or so since I had a beer and probably even longer since I last drank any hard alcohol like bourbon.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:29 am

Back in March or April 2020 I set out make a killer manhattan. I've never been well versed in the world of bourbons, so I started with a google search and settled on woodford reserve. I experimented with the ingredients I had on hand, which weren't all traditional, but I ended up with a killer manhattan, and now woodford reserve is the only bourbon I stock.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:37 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:59 pm
Closest thing to bourbon I've got right now is a couple little airline bottles of Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve my oldest sister brought back from Kentucky in 2019.

I havent opened them yet, but that's mostly because I don't drink alcohol that much. It's been about a year or so since I had a beer and probably even longer since I last drank any hard alcohol like bourbon.
BullOnParade wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:29 am
Back in March or April 2020 I set out make a killer manhattan. I've never been well versed in the world of bourbons, so I started with a google search and settled on woodford reserve. I experimented with the ingredients I had on hand, which weren't all traditional, but I ended up with a killer manhattan, and now woodford reserve is the only bourbon I stock.

I neglected to mention I've tried Woodford Reserve and consider that a fine bourbon, especially for the price. Oddly, I still haven't tried Makers Mark.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:02 am

Try this stuff: https://www.angelsenvy.com I picked up a bottle while in VA and found it tasty. Also grabbed a bottle of Buffalo Trace on the same trip. I think the cask aging of Angel's Envy gave it the ribbon. :words:
Tony D Tiger

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:40 pm

Never been much into Bourbon (I like my Scotch), but I was turned on to Wild turkey American Honey. That stuff is dam good!
At the threat of thread drift, I tried a YUMMY vodka this weekend - "Effen" Vodka. Smooooth....
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:16 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:40 pm
Never been much into Bourbon (I like my Scotch), but I was turned on to Wild turkey American Honey. That stuff is dam good!
At the threat of thread drift, I tried a YUMMY vodka this weekend - "Effen" Vodka. Smooooth....

Gotta love the name of that vodka! Funny you should mention Wild Turkey American Honey. I got into bourbon a few years back when I came home from a Yankee swap at my office Christmas party with a holiday pack of Fireball whiskey nip bottles. Started me on a journey that began with making my own infused bourbon whiskey: Morello cherries, cinnamon, Red Hots candies, (Maine) maple syrup and cloves. Called it 'Yer Bastard Half Brother' and it was a hit with friends and family. I needed a cheap bourbon as the base and that's how I discovered Evan Williams. Thing is, I started finding my infused whiskey too sweet. So I began drinking the Evan Williams straight up and discovered that I preferred it that way. Then someone introduced me to a mid shelf bourbon (can't remember which) and I was astonished how subtly different it was from the Evan Williams. I really haven't looked back since then.
tony d tiger wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:02 am
Try this stuff: https://www.angelsenvy.com I picked up a bottle while in VA and found it tasty. Also grabbed a bottle of Buffalo Trace on the same trip. I think the cask aging of Angel's Envy gave it the ribbon. :words:
I have heard really good things about Angels Envy. It's on my short list of up and coming bourbons to try. Thanks for the reminder!

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:21 pm

Eagle Rare will forever have my heart, although I have to buy it while travelling, can't find it for any price up here...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:12 pm

What is Blanton's and why is it in such high demand ?

I ask because I saw an ad in a local sales group that someone wanted either cash or two bottles of Blanton's for whatever the person was selling. I know it's booze, but I'm curious as to why someone would want to trade a high dollar item (I think it may have been a Ruger precision target rifle or something similar) for booze.

ETA: I just looked up Blanton's on Google and damn that stuff is expensive. It's like almost 300 bucks a bottle. :shock:

For that price, it better be some really good stuff because there's about a million other things I can see myself dropping 300 bucks on instead of a single bottle of bourbon.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:11 pm

Blanton's is sort of the grail bourbon for a lot of enthusiasts. Some people actually collect the bottles because that distiller astutely changes that pewter horse bottle stopper periodically. I'd love to try a sip just to satisfy my curiosity but I doubt it'll ever happen. I just don't run with the Blanton's crowd.

I get nervous spending more than $35 for a bourbon. That's why I keep referring to bottom- and mid-shelf. Plenty of perfectly respectable varieties in the $30 - $50 price range. So I'll be at this for quite some time before I have to consider something more expensive.

I'm enjoying a Knob Creek right now. If I have a second pour tonight I'll save the KC and switch to Evan Williams. My taste buds/nose are shot after round one anyway.

Next question for the hive mind: on the rocks or neat? I prefer my whiskey cold but I've been told that the proper way to drink a quality bourbon is neat. I compromise and use granite whiskey stones. I always have a couple sitting in a glass tumbler that lives in my freezer.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:22 pm

I've always gone with three ice cubes, or no ice and a splash of water. Swirl it around a bit in a rocks glass... seems to make it more enjoyable, to me. YMMV :mrgreen:

If I go with ice, no more than three. If ordering at a bar, I tell the barman it's because I want to hear their screams. :rofl:
Tony D Tiger

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:26 pm

I think the most I've paid for booze is like 20 bucks and that was for a bottle of Parrot Bay rum at a Walgreen's in New Mexico.

I live in a wet county, but only for beer. Hard liquor and spirits aren't allowed for sale for some reason.

If I want bourbon or similar, I have to drive to Odessa to get it and that's about an hour drive round trip. Not too big of a pain, but I don't generally make a trip to Odessa just for booze.

If I'm in town for other reasons, I may stop by a liquor store and pick up whatever strikes my fancy at that point.

As for neat or on the rocks, I've only ever had mixed drinks and never just bourbon or whiskey or whatever else by itself.

And despite being Ukrainian, I've never had vodka by itself. I usually just mix it with orange juice and have myself a screwdriver.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:52 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:11 pm

Next question for the hive mind: on the rocks or neat? I prefer my whiskey cold but I've been told that the proper way to drink a quality bourbon is neat. I compromise and use granite whiskey stones. I always have a couple sitting in a glass tumbler that lives in my freezer.
As I said above, I don't know much about bourbons, I have much more experience with rhys and a bit of whiskey (Sort of off topic, my number one, go to, hands down favourite irish whiskey is tullamore dew original blend).
1) If I have a choice and plan ahead, I'll throw the bottle of choice in the freezer (or outside).
2)I keep whiskey stones in the freezer, just in case I decide on something on a whim.
3)Ice is a last resort if I really want a cold one, but often I'll opt for room temp neat.

Some rhys benefit from a bit of water. My uncle introduced me to just skipping the ice and putting a tablespoon of water in your glass. A mixed cocktail that calls for ice gets ice, it's not a sipping whiskey anymore.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Albert

Post by Albert » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:34 pm

It's hard to beat Maker's Mark, or Woodford Reserve.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”