Anyone have a recipe for Nutribun?

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Anyone have a recipe for Nutribun?

Post by Cybrludite » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:31 am

Ran across this while wiki-walking, and wondered if anyone here might have the recipe for it.
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

Anianna

Re: Anyone have a recipe for Nutribun?

Post by Anianna » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Cybrludite wrote:Ran across this while wiki-walking, and wondered if anyone here might have the recipe for it.
The nutribun program was simply giving wheat bread to malnourished children in the Phillipines. It is literally just wheat bread. You can read more about the actual formula in the PDF file that is the first reference on that Wiki page. The formula is listed on page 234 of the file (listed as proportional parts).
The present formula is:
wheat flour 100
nonfat dry milk solids 14
sugar 12
vegetable oil 5
salt 1.5
yeast 1
Keep in mind that the nutribun program took place in the early 1970s when our country was pretty certain we needed to eat bread with every single meal for maximum health. I remember those breakfast cereal ads touting how sugary cereals were part of a nutritious breakfast as long as you ate it with toast (typically shown as white bread) and juice. It is clear from reading the document that the primary gauge of the success of the program was weight gain rather than any other specific markers of health.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Anianna wrote:
Cybrludite wrote:Ran across this while wiki-walking, and wondered if anyone here might have the recipe for it.
The nutribun program was simply giving wheat bread to malnourished children in the Phillipines. It is literally just wheat bread. You can read more about the actual formula in the PDF file that is the first reference on that Wiki page. The formula is listed on page 234 of the file (listed as proportional parts).
The present formula is:
wheat flour 100
nonfat dry milk solids 14
sugar 12
vegetable oil 5
salt 1.5
yeast 1
Keep in mind that the nutribun program took place in the early 1970s when our country was pretty certain we needed to eat bread with every single meal for maximum health. I remember those breakfast cereal ads touting how sugary cereals were part of a nutritious breakfast as long as you ate it with toast (typically shown as white bread) and juice. It is clear from reading the document that the primary gauge of the success of the program was weight gain rather than any other specific markers of health.
It would seem that weight gain is still the yardstick of choice for the latest "miracle" food:

Plumpy’Nut is used as a treatment for emergency malnutrition cases. It supports rapid weight gain derived from broad nutrient intake which can alleviate a starving child from impending illness or death. The product is easy for children to eat because it dispenses readily from a durable, tear-open package. The fortified peanut butter-like paste contains fats, dietary fiber, carbohydrates, proteins (as essential macronutrients), vitamins and minerals (as essential micronutrients). Peanut butter is also an excellent source of vitamin E and B vitamins.

I a peanut butter fan, so this makes sense to me.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Don't get me wrong, nutribun isn't exactly nutrient deficient especially for the malnourished. Plumpy'Nut sounds decent for the task, too. Peanut butter is what got my kid from "failure to thrive" to just barely hanging onto the bottom of the weight curve.

Weight gain in general can mean the difference between life and death for the malnourished, but I would like to see a more well-rounded dietary approach to these programs for the long-term.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Return to “Eats and Drinks”