New Year's Resolution: Eat only stored food in January

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

scarnucci

New Year's Resolution: Eat only stored food in January

Post by scarnucci » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Ive been toying with challenging myself to eat only from my stored food items the entire month of January.

Reason for wanting to do this is two-fold.

One, I need to rotate through some of my stores. I started food storage back in 2006 and I have rice and beans and pasta and flour that needs to be rotated out. Old MREs and lots of SPAM too. Not sure I am looking forward to the SPAM.

Two, if I am diligent about record keeping, I can have a better assessment of how long the rest of my stores will last me. Right now I have pails full of non-perishables but only a vague guesstimate of how long I can last on it.

In addition to only eating stored food, I was thinking of also cooking it in an off grid manner.

I have a barrel woodstove that I supplement my house's heat with. It has the flat stove plate accessory. I have a propane bottle burner attachment that is geared more towards camping. Of course I have a grill and I also happen to be the proud owner of a wood fired pizza oven that I built a few years back. While I've made many hundreds, if not thousands of pizzas in it, Ive not used it to bake loaves of bread, so that will be something new.

I'll do my best to post pictures and meals etc etc during January. If anyone cares to add any tips or has questions in this month of planning, I look forward to discussing them!

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: New Year's Resolution: Eat only stored food in January

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:58 pm

scarnucci wrote: challenging myself to eat only from my stored food items the entire month of January.

needs to be rotated out. Old MREs and lots of SPAM too. Not sure I am looking forward to the SPAM.

I also happen to be the proud owner of a wood fired pizza oven that I built a few years back. If anyone cares to add any tips ...
Hawaiian pizza. You're welcome. :wink:

http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes ... spam1.html

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:55 pm

Excellent idea and thread, I'm looking forward to the reports.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

scarnucci

Post by scarnucci » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:30 pm

Ok, so Ive been ramping up to this resolution and have my basic ground rules set in my mind.

My hope to prepare the food using only TEOTWAWKI techniques is flat out unpractical. I have a job that I still have to get to and a homestead to maintain, so I cant slow cook all my meals. After the EMP hits, I look forward to having the spare time.

Again, the primary reason for this experiment is to rotate through some old preps.
I hope that my base of rice and beans and flour corn meal and wheat berries will carry me most of the way.
I also stored about 30 lbs of potatoes in advance of this. I can consider them a long term food prep considering their ability to keep for so long.

I have a flock of laying hens, so eggs are a prep item.

I'm an avid Aldi shopper, I have a very well stocked pantry. I reserve the right to purchase non-perishables if I run low on something critical.

Coffee is not part of this experiment because I never keep more than a few lbs in the house. I will try to keep track of my usage this month.

As a matter of routine I drink an EmergenC topped with 1000mg of Organic Vit C crystals and a shot of cider vinegar a few times a week.
I think the eggs will provide plenty of other vitamins and proteins that my canned goods wont provide.

Ohh crap, I almost forgot. Beer and Bourbon? I do have the ability and know how to brew and distill, but again, only limited time.
I'll try to reduce my intake. That would probably be a resolution by itself anyway. I'll probably stick with the brown liquor and ration myself to two drinks a night. I might actually even measure them with a shot glass instead of just eyeballing it like usual.

Ok, wish me luck! Happy New Year!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I cannot watch zombie flicks anymore. The violence & gore disturbs me.

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:14 pm

Interesting! :)
Matthew Paul Malloy
Veteran: USAR, USA, IAANG.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."

scarnucci

Post by scarnucci » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:18 pm

Rice, 1/2 can spam, 1 can mushrooms, 1 can mixed veggies, dried onion and garlic flakes. Dash of soy sauce. Made about 3 bowls worth.

scarnucci

Post by scarnucci » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:21 pm

1/4 can spam, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can spinach, 1 can mushrooms, 5 eggs.

scarnucci

Post by scarnucci » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:24 pm

For breakfast on the go. 1/4 can spam, 2 cans shrooms, some sliced jalepenos, 12 eggs in a muffin tin. Nuke 2 of them before hitting the road.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:43 am

Very nice. Keep the reports and pics coming.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Appalachia's Homestead did something similar last August. You may want to check out her youtube videos for inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... KBSGWtUwlW

scarnucci

Post by scarnucci » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Nothing special the past few days. I baked three loaves of bread (equal parts white to wheat flour) on Monday night and have eating primarily that during the work week, along with a can of soup. Still eating the breakfast egg muffins from earlier in the week as well.

Years ago I had a college history course about Paris back years ago during their many revolutionary periods. The price and availability of bread for the lower classes had an impact on whether they tried to oust their government. If memory serves the average Parisian would eat like 3 lbs of bread a day? Does that sound right?

In any event, 8 cups of flour along with misc ingredients have been the base of my diet for the past 3-4 days. I like it because I made a mess in the kitchen once, cooked and cleaned once, and had bread on the counter for days. The scale might not like my carb overload. I'll see how thats going over the weekend.

scarnucci

Post by scarnucci » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Nothing special the past few days. I baked three loaves of bread (equal parts white to wheat flour) on Monday night and have eating primarily that during the work week, along with a can of soup. Still eating the breakfast egg muffins from earlier in the week as well.

Years ago I had a college history course about Paris back years ago during their many revolutionary periods. The price and availability of bread for the lower classes had an impact on whether they tried to oust their government. If memory serves the average Parisian would eat like 3 lbs of bread a day? Does that sound right?

In any event, 8 cups of flour along with misc ingredients have been the base of my diet for the past 3-4 days. I like it because I made a mess in the kitchen once, cooked and cleaned once, and had bread on the counter for days. The scale might not like my carb overload. I'll see how thats going over the weekend.

scarnucci

Post by scarnucci » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:13 pm

I have not been as diligent as I had hoped.

Life just gets in the way and preparing every meal from scratch takes a lot of time.
Here is what I was able to do up until Jan 20th or so when I stopped trying as hard as I should.

I baked about 10-12 loaves of bread.
Im a bread junkie. I tried baking some bread with all white flour, all wheat that I ground from my wheat berries stored, and some half and half batches. Obviously the white flour bread baked and rose better than those using ground wheat berries. The all wheat berry batch was almost inedible. (almost) Long story short, one cant expect to eat a bunch of baked goods from grinding wheat berries without more work than just a quick grind and sift. At least not in the way we think about bread today.

I did sprout some wheat berries and ate them. They were okay. Ive read that they are far more nutritious once sprouted.
I also boiled them like rice. They were pretty good that way too.

Speaking of rice, I used about 4 lbs during this experiment. Whipping up a batch of fried rice was quick(ish) and easy, using a can of mixed veg, spam, eggs, etc.

I ate a ton of eggs, probably 3 or 4 dozen. Several cans of beans, stew and soup, fruit cocktail, mixed veggies and canned potatoes. I also cooked about 5 lbs of potatoes. Some fried, mashed, etc.

I didnt make as much of a dent in prep rotation as I had hoped. I have buckets and buckets of mylar sealed non perishables that I never inventoried or sorted. It is still a chore on my radar for one of these cold weekends.

Im guessing that I have about 300-400 lbs of wheat berries stored and not nearly that amount of white flour. Going forward I will only add flour and rice to the preps until all piles are about equal. On the plus side, I can plant the wheat and hopefully reproduce it. It is also a possible chicken feed, but stupidly expensive to use it as such.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:34 pm

It was a worthwhile experiment, regardless of how diligent you were. Of course life got in the way. In a true emergency, I suspect everyone will have a lot more time to devote to food preparation. Hopefully you burned through some of your older food preps and picked up a few nuggets of wisdom along the way. Those egg dishes looked very appetizing, btw. And your bread baking output seems pretty impressive to me.

The bread making got me to thinking that I might have an unopened jar of yeast in the back of fridge, so I checked. Yep, it's there. Best by date: Sep 2012. I wonder if there's any chance it's still any good. I could unseal it and proof a teaspoon, but the label also says to use it up within 4 months of opening. I should probably just buy a new jar and toss the old, huh?

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:54 pm

I use the ground wheat/white flour half and half.

Wheat stores much better than flour.....

Thank you for the effort, the food looks delish!
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:18 pm

Regarding fresh ground whole wheat flour, I've got one word for you: Sourdough

I've been experimenting with whole wheat and whole rye breads lately (as in, 100% dark rye), and there's no contest. The long soak (24 hrs+) softens the bran, and the acidic environment leads to better gluten formation which will give you a better rise, and softer crumb.

Not hard to get a sourdough starter going either.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:28 pm

Dough for bread will rise better if the flour has been ground about 3 weeks, it oxidizes and strengthens the gluten bond.
That likely was the problem with the 'ground wheat berries'.
For pancakes and muffins, etc fresh tastes better.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”