You Favorite Soup

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: You Favorite Soup

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Spicy hot chili in a bread bowl.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:00 pm

Soup again ? How about homemade hambone soup?

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:35 pm

Don't forget about the humble classic French Onion soup
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:52 pm

How could anyone possible choose just one? Turtle soup is tasty; plus, it allows one to pack and re-use the lightweight shell as a bowl or plate while dining.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:55 pm

I dont like fancy soups with a lot of stuff. A homemade chicken noodle soup is always good. chopped carrots and celery is all I need.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:58 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:I dont like fancy soups with a lot of stuff. A homemade chicken noodle soup is always good. chopped carrots and celery is all I need.
I like corn in my soup.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:29 pm

I change my answer

Just made green soup for the first time. Loved the shit out of it.

Carmelized an onion in a bit of butter, threw in a couple cloves of garlic, two potatoes, two stalks of celery and about six cups of vegetable broth. Boiled until the potatoes were soft and threw in a ton of chopped greens (kale and mustard greens, although I'm sure others would work too), cooked until softened a bit, blended till smooth, added Worcester sauce, pepper and lemon juice until satisfied.

Amazing, even if it's very green...

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:36 am

Confucius wrote:I change my answer

Just made green soup for the first time. Loved the shit out of it.

Carmelized an onion in a bit of butter, threw in a couple cloves of garlic, two potatoes, two stalks of celery and about six cups of vegetable broth. Boiled until the potatoes were soft and threw in a ton of chopped greens (kale and mustard greens, although I'm sure others would work too), cooked until softened a bit, blended till smooth, added Worcester sauce, pepper and lemon juice until satisfied.

Amazing, even if it's very green...
would you, could you ,with a biscuit?
If it's seen, also green?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

SteelWolf

Post by SteelWolf » Tue May 01, 2018 8:50 pm

I'm a simple man.

Tomato Soup. If I don't do it home made, I absolutely LOVE the Trader Joes creamy tomato soup. Life changing. Thank me later. I always have four or five cartons stashed away in our back pantry for a cold winter day.
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue May 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Beef stew. Onions. Carrots. Po-tat-oes.

and corn

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue May 01, 2018 10:35 pm

Great, now I want soup and we ate it all.
Yes, it was beef stew again.
We often put a few frozen peas & carrots in it.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Thu May 03, 2018 3:29 am

Chicken and Dumplings, but the kind with what are called "slicks" (puffy, doughy noodles) not the kind with biscuits on top...I would do a lot for a good bowl and it was fairly frequently my birthday meal growing up. Still is sometimes.

Followed fairly closely (in no order) by an Irish Beef Stew or good potato soup. Tomato soup is also way up there, but I won't eat it unless I have something to dip in it like bread or a grilled cheese sandwich.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Thu May 03, 2018 7:16 am

Ellywick wrote:not the kind with biscuits on top
Growing up, we referred to these as "Drop Dumplings" since they were just dropped on top of the pot. I actually liked these better. But hey, different strokes for different folks. Still, it's chicken and dumplings, a very good choice.

If you like beef stews, try this one:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rob ... pe-1946727

I have made it a few times... mmmm
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu May 03, 2018 8:03 am

My bride makes a delicious, spicy, white bean chili that instead of using water for broth incorporates melted pepper jack cheese. We've put it out in smaller bowls as well so that people can dip chips into it. Normally, after the first bite of the first chip, people ask for a soup spoon.

I also like to put a couple of young squirrels into a crock pot before I go to work and when I get home make some Brunswick Stew. Then I came across this interesting article and recipe for Presidential Squirrel Soup. I am going to try this soon.

Incidentally, after reading this article I thought to look at menus from a couple of city restaurants online in order to see who served wild game and how much they charged. Amazing to see the prices charged for venison, as if it is some kind of rare delicacy. I wonder how much these restaurants charge pay for the meat.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu May 03, 2018 10:54 am

I can see why wild venison would be expensive if you bought it.

How many people for how much time does it take to get it to the kitchen?
License, gas/car expenses, ammunition, time hunting, etc for the hunters; then money for the people who skin it and take it apart (who I assume legally for health reasons cannot be some random hunter).
Nobody gives all that for free.

If you had a place where they were raised like cattle it would be cheaper, but I don't believe there's a lot of those. Too many regulations.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Thu May 03, 2018 11:01 am

ZombieGranny wrote:ammunition, time hunting, etc for the hunters
ZG, much of the commercially available venison is farm raised. A friend of mine use to do it.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:44 pm

Not my recipe, but I've been on a big soup kick lately and tried out this recipe. Super tasty and hearty.

http://girlandthekitchen.com/wild-mushr ... beef-stew/
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

Return to “Eats and Drinks”