Multiple sterno cans?

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Close_enough

Multiple sterno cans?

Post by Close_enough » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:02 pm

I just noticed that it's possible to get two or three Sterno cans inside a a footprint small enough for a standard 6 inch cookpot. Has anybody tried using multiple burners under a single pot to compensate for the cans' low heat output, and how did it work out?

TacAir

Re: Multiple sterno cans?

Post by TacAir » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:33 pm

Using my infamous "Million Man March Math' skillz I'd guess that

1 x (not enough heat) will pretty much equal 3 x (not enough heat).

Sterno doesn't multiply, it just burns quietly at the design temperature....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:12 pm

Just curious, what is your draw toward using sterno instead of one of the superior fuel methods?

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:47 pm

zero11010 wrote:Just curious, what is your draw toward using sterno instead of one of the superior fuel methods?
I can't get refills for the camping gaz stove I use in my disaster kit. Not unless I want to pay for transatlantic shipping. I'm looking for a lightweight, low cost, backup that won't make a mess of my cookpot (like esbit). That means an alcohol burner. The Sterno burners are readily available and safer then the liquid fueled cat food stoves.
EDIT: Does anybody make a Lindal valve to Camping Gaz adaptor? I could run the stove off most pretty much any 30/70 fuel mix

libarata
Favorite Zombie Movies: Z-Nation. The Walking Dead

Post by libarata » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:44 am

I use 91% isopropyl with toiletpaper stuffed into a small can(think ravioli). The toilet paper will help keep the sloshing to a minimum. Either that, or I use candles.

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:22 am

libarata wrote:I use 91% isopropyl with toiletpaper stuffed into a small can(think ravioli). The toilet paper will help keep the sloshing to a minimum. Either that, or I use candles.
I remember wick stoves back in the early days of cat food can burners. A layer of cloth held to the sides of the can with hardware cloth (lightweight steel mesh). Worked pretty well IIRC. Probably because the flame front was stable around the entire perimeter of the can.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Close_enough wrote:
zero11010 wrote:Just curious, what is your draw toward using sterno instead of one of the superior fuel methods?
I can't get refills for the camping gaz stove I use in my disaster kit.
Which CG stove is that? There are ways to modify some.
EDIT: Does anybody make a Lindal valve to Camping Gaz adaptor? I could run the stove off most pretty much any 30/70 fuel mix
I,m not aware of one, despite looking, but I know of a guy who re-fills his CV-series cartridges from a regular propane tank. This is in the UK where the weather is coolish (despite knocking on 90f this week); if you're expecting higher temperatures I'm not sure in the cartridge will take the higher pressure of propane.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:15 pm

sheddi wrote: Which CG stove is that? There are ways to modify some.
The an older model Bleuet Micro Plus. It takes the CV cartridges with the easy-clic valve.

sheddi wrote: I,m not aware of one, despite looking, but I know of a guy who re-fills his CV-series cartridges from a regular propane tank. This is in the UK where the weather is coolish (despite knocking on 90f this week); if you're expecting higher temperatures I'm not sure in the cartridge will take the higher pressure of propane.
It hit 105 F (porch thermometer noted 109 F) last month.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:03 pm

Close_enough wrote:
sheddi wrote:Which CG stove is that? There are ways to modify some.
The an older model Bleuet Micro Plus. It takes the CV cartridges with the easy-clic valve.
Hmm. That one's not going to be easy. Some stoves are less integrated and you can do this sort of thing:
https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.co ... rgnat.html
Close_enough wrote:
sheddi wrote:I,m not aware of one, despite looking, but I know of a guy who re-fills his CV-series cartridges from a regular propane tank. This is in the UK where the weather is coolish (despite knocking on 90f this week); if you're expecting higher temperatures I'm not sure in the cartridge will take the higher pressure of propane.
It hit 105 F (porch thermometer noted 109 F) last month.
OK, instead of filling with propane you could use those little butane cans? Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvXnF1Jw43w

I'm not recommending that specific adapter, but it shows what can be done.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:16 pm

sheddi wrote:I'm not recommending that specific adapter ...
... but it's here on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182201323463
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:54 pm

sheddi wrote: OK, instead of filling with propane you could use those little butane cans?
I'm sure y'all know this, but butane sucks when it starts to get cold.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Just a follow up on the original question.

It seems that it is possible to get a bit more heat from Sterno. From the folks over at Bushcr*ft US*

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/media/st ... 01104/full
image of hack -

The caption -
To boost performance, I scooped out some fuel and placed it on top of the can. I’d say about a tablespoon. It was enough to noticeably boost performance and not have any excess left when water has boiled. Kind of a two-stage burn from high to medium. I did two runs and average boil time went from 12 to 6 mins.

I'd say that is impressive.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:21 pm

It depends on what you want to do with your heat source. If all you need is to warm canned or retort packaged food, I'd say 3x Sterno is a viable option. If you actually want to cook or even boil water, I think you're going to have to come up with an alternative.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:15 am

Close_enough wrote:
I can't get refills for the camping gaz stove I use in my disaster kit. Not unless I want to pay for transatlantic shipping. I'm looking for a lightweight, low cost, backup that won't make a mess of my cookpot (like esbit). That means an alcohol burner. The Sterno burners are readily available and safer then the liquid fueled cat food stoves.
Which model? I use a Camping Gaz in my BOB.
Can you post a pic?
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”