Cocktails and Mixed Drinks

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mzmc
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Started out with Resident Evil, but I got better.

Cocktails and Mixed Drinks

Post by mzmc » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:34 pm

I coldn't find a thread with a similar theme, so I opened one.

First things first: If you like alcohol a little too much, please stay away, this might give you ideas. ;)

So I've been wondering whether you guys got any cool ideas regarding tasty stuff that goes into a glass and has more than one ingredient.

Always remember: When figurative Zombies come a-knockin', it might be worst time to get drunk, or the best. That depends entirely on your outlook on live.

There are million of coktail recipes out there. The internet seems to be obsessed with them. But still, maybe you've got fresh ideas. I'm all for experimentation.

BONUS POINTS FOR ANY RECIPE INVOLVING YOUR FOOD PREPS OR GARDEN!

I'll start...
Last edited by mzmc on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
May contain traces of derp.

mzmc
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Started out with Resident Evil, but I got better.

Re: Cocktails and Mixed Drink

Post by mzmc » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:01 pm

I call this one "Balcony Ponderings". That may not be the coolest name, but I'm running with it.

So, here's what you need:

First, step onto your balcony and proudly realize that you now only grow edible plants.

Mint, rosemary, thyme, chilis, parsley, basil... yep, that's an herb garden, all right.

It's important to start the Pondering at this point. It's time for dinner, so what can you use from this balcony? Maybe make fried potatoes with rosemary and thyme? A tomato salad, with parsley and basil? It's a shame the chilis aren't ready yet.

Okay, after you've come to a conclusion, pick yourself a few leaves of fresh mint.

Just 6 leaves or so will do. Put them in a tumbler.

Step 2, 4 cubes of ice.

2, if you got large ones.

Step 3, you're going to need one shot glas of sweet brown rum, and one shot glass of cheap Scotch.

This happens to be a low-brow Single Malt, but Blended Scotch will also do fine. It's a mixed drink, for the love of God!

Let your mint leaves marinade in the cold alcohol mixture for a few minutes, to draw out some of the essential oils into your drink. For that nice toothpaste flavour we all enjoy so much. :mrgreen:

Step 4, fill you glass up with Coca Cola, or Coke Zero.

Don't use Diet Coke, though. Because that's disgusting.

After two of those you are ready for bed.

There you go, Balcony Ponderings for dinner. Also alcoholism and potentially type 2 diabetes.
Last edited by mzmc on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
May contain traces of derp.

turbo6

Re: Cocktails and Mixed Drink

Post by turbo6 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:09 pm

I don't drink that much anymore but every so often I'll get a craving to mix something up.

My favorite for parties is the Flaming Dr Pepper - take a shot glass of Armeretto, layer some 151 on top, light the shot and drop in a glass of light beer.

For a summertime drink try "Sex in a Tent" - Pour some Mtn Dew over ice, add a few shots of Bacardi Parrot Bay rum, a single shot of spiced rum with a pinch of mint leaves and fresh lime.

Of course there's Jungle Juice too, which is essentially Hawaiian Punch mixed with virtually any liquor you can come up with, with various fruit mixed in.

There's tons of others, but most of the fun is just being creative and figuring out what works together...and getting a bit lit in the process.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Cocktails and Mixed Drinks

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:17 pm

I'm not quite sure what it's called, but I do like the occasional ginger ale and Wild Turkey whiskey mix. Wild Turkey by itself isn't a great whiskey by any stretch, but if you mix it with something it's not too bad.

I had a few glasses of it at a friend's party one time years ago and it was pretty decent. I think it's like a 50/50 mix of whiskey and ginger ale. The trick is to not let your friends alcoholic dad mix the drink for you because it'll end up being more of a 90/10 mix of booze and ginger ale. :lol:

That's a sure fire way to get hammered fast. Unless the idea is to get hammered fast, that is. :lol:

I also enjoy a Screwdriver (orange juice and vodka for those who don't know) every now and then when I have vodka (I have to keep my Ukrainian ancestors happy by drinking vodka ever so often.).

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Cocktails and Mixed Drinks

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:12 pm

On the topic of not-so-great whiskeys, I've been experimenting with infusing whiskey with Morrello cherries and cinnamon sticks. You basically put the ingredients together in a container and leave it in the refrigerator for two weeks, taking it out and giving it a brisk shake every day.

The first couple of batches I was adding a quarter of a cup of real maple syrup. I fancied that would lend it an appropriately New England air. But in the end I really couldn't taste the maple and all it accomplished was to make it too sweet. I need to investigate maple extracts.

The not-so-great whiskey angle is the interwebz resources I consulted advised not to waste money on a really good whiskey, the flavor infusion just ruins what makes a great whiskey great. Besides, if whiskey connoisseurs find out you're doing this with a quality whiskey, they will find you and kill you in your sleep.

I've experimented with a variety of cheap rot-gut whiskeys from Fleischmanns (turns out I do have standards) to Evan Williams. I've settled on Evan Williams as a not-so-bad, reasonably smooth bourbon whiskey that compliments the cherry/cinnamon flavors well.

After two weeks, strain off the cherries and cinnamon sticks and serve straight from the refrigerator, poured over a single ice cube or better yet, a whiskey stone.

FYI: the now well-pickled cherries, combined with a cup of chopped/sugared rhubarb, makes an exquisite fresh-baked pie (served with cold, cold vanilla ice cream) that can only be provided to responsible adults. You know that cooking adage that any alcoholic ingredient added to a baked desert will just boil off in the oven? Yeah, totally not true with these whiskey-enhanced super cherries. The drink itself was cribbed off an idea I saw on the internet, but the pie idea is all mine. If you make it, you will refer to it as 'Majorhavoc Baked Tart of the Apocalypse'.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”