Dehydrated food shelf life

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Close_enough

Dehydrated food shelf life

Post by Close_enough » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:18 pm

Is this information about storing dehydrated and O2 free dry goods accurate? Replacing my entire food stock every 1-3 years gets expensive, and if I can push the usable life out to 5-10 years, it'll cut my costs significantly.

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/info ... -dry-foods
http://dehydrate2store.com/docs/dehydra ... e_tips.pdf

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Dehydrated food shelf life

Post by Halfapint » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:31 pm

That's about right. Best to store them in cool dry places. A lot of my food is sealed, though I've been running an experiemnt with my mom. we have a bag of pinto beans at her house that's stored in the garage open. and it's been 2 years and they are still good. The garage isn't insulated, and can get HOT during the summer, and in the winter it drops down to whatever the temp is outside.

So really I think a lot of it is "on the safe side" which isn't a bad place to be when it comes to food.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Winchester

Post by Winchester » Mon May 23, 2016 9:21 pm

Close_enough wrote:Is this information about storing dehydrated and O2 free dry goods accurate? Replacing my entire food stock every 1-3 years gets expensive, and if I can push the usable life out to 5-10 years, it'll cut my costs significantly.

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/info ... -dry-foods
http://dehydrate2store.com/docs/dehydra ... e_tips.pdf

Mountain house has #10 cans that last up to 25 years.

I'm getting into preserving my food, but I also pick up a can every month to stash away.

http://www.mountainhouse.com/m/category/entrees.html
Military Gear, Clothing, and Equipment:
http://shop.ebay.com/guardian223/m.html ... ksid=p3686

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Hey, I'm going to high jack this thread because we aren't supposed to start new threads if we don't have to:

We are beginning to dehydrate and vaccum~bag seal foods.

So what does it mean if the bag has air in it a couple of days after it was vacced and sealed? Bags didn't having holes, air came from food~ what does this'd mean and how do we prevent next time?
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:32 pm

https://www.lds.org/topics/food-storage ... g&old=true

These folks have been on this for decades and know what they are talking about...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:41 pm

The op's link has good data about shelf life of foods. As it notes two crucial aspects of storage is the temperature (cold but not freezing is best) and humidity (cold and dry is ideal).

Those of us who live in the warm humid southern US face a difficult task to get maximum shelf life from our preps.

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:35 am

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:Hey, I'm going to high jack this thread because we aren't supposed to start new threads if we don't have to:

So what does it mean if the bag has air in it a couple of days after it was vacced and sealed? Bags didn't having holes, air came from food~ what does this'd mean and how do we prevent next time?

Some plastic is porous enough to let air through. Google mylar food storage for more info.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:08 am

cv66er wrote:
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:Hey, I'm going to high jack this thread because we aren't supposed to start new threads if we don't have to:

Some plastic is porous enough to let air through. Google mylar food storage for more info.
Or there's a tiny defect in the seal. Sooooo frustrating. What kind of food is it? I tend to think if my dry goods are outgassing, I got problems....
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:38 am

duodecima wrote:
cv66er wrote:

Or there's a tiny defect in the seal. Sooooo frustrating. What kind of food is it? I tend to think if my dry goods are outgassing, I got problems....
Bananas and Strawberries (not together, we had multiple bags) it was from the first batch of each.

Mrs. Morphine thinks she may not have got them completely dry/dehydrated before packing.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:59 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
duodecima wrote:
cv66er wrote:

Bananas and Strawberries (not together, we had multiple bags) it was from the first batch of each.

Mrs. Morphine thinks she may not have got them completely dry/dehydrated before packing.
What's it smell like if you open one? I haven't vacuum packed any of my own dehydrated stuff in a long time. My home made survival rations (oatmeal, powdered milk, gelatin, sugar, water, mix & bake dry) did NOT loose their vacuum in plastic vacuum sealer bags for over 2 years. Which reminds me I think there's still a couple around, I should go check them again...
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:46 am

They smelled (and tasted) off. Not quite moldy, but they weren't right. Our adventures and experience and education have continued. The bags in question did swell- but we caught them the day after and were able to salvage most of them.

We also had some yesterday that the bananas were cutting the bag when we vacuum sealed them- so I now can see the difference between air got in the bag (oh, darn) and air came off the food causing it to swell (oh, shit!).

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:09 am

does anyone have experience in hot climates? wondering how long my freeze-dried meals will realistically last

current storage can get to 104 degrees and 100% humidity for prolonged periods (up to 5 months)
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

Return to “Eats and Drinks”