The Coffee Thread

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

The Coffee Thread

Post by Shiloh » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:50 pm

Let's face it, I'm betting a lot of us are shameless caffeine addicts. So just like AA, we all need some place to hang out and encourage support eachother in our addictions. :v:

I've been using a french press for a while, and just a couple days ago I got my first Moka pot and it's one hell of a coffee maker. It's not quite espresso, but it's closer to that than french press in terms of body, strength, flavor, etc. Plus it makes bomb-ass lattes.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Re: The Coffee Thread

Post by sheddi » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:17 pm

I mostly drink tea ... :ohdear:

Having said that, I share a French press ("cafetière" over here) with a work colleague most weekday mornings and use an electric filter machine at home at weekends. I've also got an electric espresso machine that gets occasional use and somewhere I've got a stove-top Moka pot that I've not used in years (and keep meaning to take camping).

(Is Nescafe and similar instant coffee allowed to be mentioned in this thread? Asking for a friend ...)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:40 pm

sheddi wrote:
(Is Nescafe and similar instant coffee allowed to be mentioned in this thread? Asking for a friend ...)
Sure.
It's still coffee.
If you were discussing alcohol you could talk about anything from a fine wine to Pruno. Instant coffee is in the Pruno range.
It's also what the lions share of my coffee intake is these days due to time constraints.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:59 pm

Hello everyone. My name is majorhavoc and I am a caffeine addict. It rules my life. It enslaves me. Every day I wake up thinking about caffeine. I cannot function until I've had my fix. I'm habituated at this point, so it takes a succession of powerful morning doses to even begin to satisfy my cravings. I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about where and how I'll get my next fix. And way too much money and effort acquiring and preparing my supply of this drug.

I have absolutely no intention of quitting.

Sheddi brings up a good point. The Brits are just as passionate about their favorite liquid caffeine-delivery system as we are about ours. Probably more so, now that I think of it. Maybe OP could edit the topic title to be more inclusive? Just a thought.

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:12 pm

Here's a thought....let's fess up and tell the truth and shame the devil.....

How much of your hot caffeine concoction do you drink on average per day?

Myself, I consume between 10-18 mugs of black coffee per day. Essentially I live with a coffee cup in my hand.
It's not so much that I drink coffee to wake me up, but that without coffee I slowly wind down.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:47 pm

So, not sure if I'm exactly allowed in either - I drink decent amounts of both tea and coffee right now - but none of it's caffeinated b/c my sleep and migraines don't like caffeine.

Having said that, I drink 6-12 cups of coffee on weekdays, with 1-4 large mugs of tea (more on weekends, but usually at least one in the evening during the week.) Most of my coffee is consumed as "poor girl's mocha" meaning I put a couple tablespoons of hot cocoa powder in instead of creamer.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:15 pm

I use a slow caffeine coffee drip the first 4 hours of the day, switch to other drinks during the middle, then a slow caffeine coffee drip again another 4 hours, nothing the last 2 or so.
Darker roast, with a little sugar and creamer to buffer my stomach.
Used to chew the berries, but I can't do that any more.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Sure, I don't see why we couldn't include tea!

Lowkey: Firstly - JESUS. Secondly - It kinda depends for me. On school days, or if I stayed up a little late the previous night, I can easily do two or three Moka pots in the first two hours of my day. Usually when I get home it's another cup of french press which lasts a while longer, since the Moka pretty much just makes espresso shots.

Tactical furry.

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:31 pm

I tend to grind Eight O'Clock coffee beans one filter's worth at a time, and set up my automatic coffee maker the night before... then wake up with one large mug of the stuff. The rest is available for microwaving depending on when I get home from work that day / evening / whatever.

I do have a French Press, but rarely have time to enjoy it.

I use other caffeine throughout the day, but as this is The Coffee Thread, that's my contribution.
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:50 pm

LowKey wrote:Here's a thought....let's fess up and tell the truth and shame the devil.....

How much of your hot caffeine concoction do you drink on average per day?

Myself, I consume between 10-18 mugs of black coffee per day. Essentially I live with a coffee cup in my hand.
It's not so much that I drink coffee to wake me up, but that without coffee I slowly wind down.
I used to drink a pot day but since I quit smoking I'm up to two, whatever that comes to in mugs.
I buy six 48-ounce cans of Chock Full at a time from Amazon and reorder when I get down to two cans.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:57 pm

I get scared when my espresso beans are running low.

Some days I'm willing to be late to work in order to make a latte.

I look forward to coffee, like it's a highlight of my day. Having multiple highlights in my day makes life better.
Last edited by Beowolf on Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:52 pm

8 o'clock is a staple, and recently I discovered Camerons k cups. They are good enough that I took the old Stanley 42 cup out of the back of my truck and moved the inverter to the cab for my keurig.
FYI - if you saw the base off of a keurig mini, and glue an old speaker magnet to the front - you can make coffee into a yeti rambler while driving.

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:30 pm

One thing I've learned recently is the importance of buying freshly roasted coffee. I used to just buy bags of the stuff in grocery stores, but after visiting a local place that had roasted theirs that morning, the experience was night and day.

Tactical furry.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:36 pm

Agreed. No comparison.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:15 am

It's not so much the number of liquid cups of coffee that counts, rather it's the amount of grounds you use a day.
One person's mug of coffee could hold 1 cup or 4 cups, or could equal someone else's "pot full".
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:10 am

ZombieGranny wrote:It's not so much the number of liquid cups of coffee that counts, rather it's the amount of grounds you use a day.
One person's mug of coffee could hold 1 cup or 4 cups, or could equal someone else's "pot full".
When making drip coffee I use about 2 tablespoons of grounds per cup.
So about 20-36 tablespoons of grounds a day for me, or 1 1/4 - 2 1/4 cups of grounds.
I take whatever is on the shelf at the PX and fill a cart up under the theory that what is there today may not be there again for many months. :lol:

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:32 am

I love coffee (also tea though) and hot chocolate. I'm an equal opportunity caffeine imbiber :)
If I'm drinking instant coffee I like microground like Starbucks VIA.
I got a coffee pod system last year in a half price sale and use it quite a lot, though I do not like the milk pods.
A U.K. supermarket sells really nice own brand Colombian arabica beans, grinds and one cup filters. I sometimes buy the one cup filters too, usually at lambing time as I need the extra caffeine, I tell myself I deserve the extra expense :rofl:
Also when I used to work outside of the farm I'd buy Lyons coffee bags which were filled with robusta grounds. Great idea, individual bags (like tea bags, only bigger) sealed in foil packets; really convenient to take with you. They made a good strong, aromatic mug of coffee :)
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:34 am

Shiloh wrote:One thing I've learned recently is the importance of buying freshly roasted coffee. I used to just buy bags of the stuff in grocery stores, but after visiting a local place that had roasted theirs that morning, the experience was night and day.
Alas I do not have that opportunity here in deepest North Antrim :rofl:
Tea is still very much the beverage of choice here.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:08 am

wee drop o' bush wrote: Also when I used to work outside of the farm I'd buy Lyons coffee bags which were filled with robusta grounds.
Oddly enough I prefer the taste of robusta over arabica despite arabica being the "better" coffee. Doesn't hurt that robusta has a higher caffeine content.

Back when I was still a smoker, when I took a smoke break I used to say that I was paying my respects to the twin goddesses, Caffina and Nicotina. :lol:
Last edited by LowKey on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:44 am

Robusta certainly has a big flavour and packs a punch.

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:43 am

wee drop o' bush wrote:
Shiloh wrote:One thing I've learned recently is the importance of buying freshly roasted coffee. I used to just buy bags of the stuff in grocery stores, but after visiting a local place that had roasted theirs that morning, the experience was night and day.
Alas I do not have that opportunity here in deepest North Antrim :rofl:
Tea is still very much the beverage of choice here.
The struggle is real :lol: I /think/ there's some online retailers in the UK that ship fresh roasted stuff if you're ever interested.

Tactical furry.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Great thread!
My name is JackBauer and I'm a active coffeeholic.
Right now I'm at about 15 cups a day. Like Quentin's character in Pulp Fiction I buy and grind the good stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-1dUbBjgE
Be back later to fully qualify..
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:52 pm

So I got a hand grinder (burr) and a little milk frother today. Making lattes/mochas is sooooo easy now.

Tactical furry.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:18 am

I don't like mochas, they're not good coffee or good hot chocolate :gonk:
Then again the only flavour coffee I like is coffee, you all can keep your hazelnut, caramel, vanilla flavours stateside :rofl:

Return to “Eats and Drinks”